Stevens "Off-Hand" 410 Pistol"

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 22WRF, Oct 11, 2009.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Blue book is $350

Huntsville man finds out his antique shotgun/pistol illegal under 1934 law

HUNTSVILLE, AL -- When 81-year-old Carl Craig walked into Madison Guns & Ammo Tuesday, he didn't know the gun he was carrying was an illegal weapon.

Craig had a .410 gauge pistol, made sometime in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

"The reason it is illegal is that it's a handgun that fires a shotgun shell," said David Hyche, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms resident agent in Huntsville and Birmingham.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/10/post_41.html
  2. topper

topper New Member

Heck, according to the ATF, darn near everything is illegal. So what? I guess the majority of americans are outlaws in one respect or another. I would figure that an antique pistol like that would be just a relic or curio. I talked to a man that showed me a .45/.410 pistol. It was small and would take either caliber shell. I thought is was just a oddity, not illegal.

When guns are outlawed, I will become a outlaw!
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Topper, that's two different laws. Also, the article spouted some wrong information.

Curio and Relic is something that is 50 years (or older) OR something that is so collectable that the ATF has decided it is C&R, even though it is not 50 years old.

Then we've got the National Firearms Act of 1934. It says, "These guns need to be registered to own". They don't care about C&R. There are many guns on the NFA list that are C&R, but they are still NFA.

Now, if the gun is made before 1899, then it is not a firearm, and the National Firearms Act doesn't apply to it. But his gun isn't that old.

>"The reason it is illegal is that it's a handgun that fires a shotgun shell," said David Hyche, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms resident agent in Huntsville and Birmingham.<

That's a crock. There is nothing illegal about having a pistol that fires a shotshell. It's illegal because it is a smoothbore, with a barrel under 18 inches in length, that is not registered with the ATF.

If having it rifled would make it legal (and it was mine), I'd have one groove cut in it, just about as shallow as it could be and still be visible, with a twist of about 1-in-36.

FAC sells (or used to) single-barrel and double-barrel derringer-type pistols, chambered in 410/45 Colt. Bond Arms makes derringers in 410/45 Colt. The TC Contender had (had?) a 410/45 Colt barrel. And of course, the Taurus Judge comes in 410/45 Colt. What makes all these guns legal is that, even though they shoot shotshells, the barrels are rifled.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The folks at Madison Guns aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    I was in there last week and they had a Smith 1905 4th change that was really nice Nickle about 99% it was Just marked M&P. So I said why don't you mark it M&P 1905 4th Change and he says "I don't know about that I'd have to look it up".

He needed to look the Blue Book on it too as it was $999 and books for about $450
  5. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Ive been kickin around the idea of gettin one of those five barreled
    .410/.45 colt inexspensive revolvers from TN..about $140...for a while now....and while looking up similiar....read som eon these 1920"s smoth bores......act did affect them, and I believe there was even a "amnesty" situation in 60's for these and other OAW...?......he needs to simply
    register it or pay the stamp/tax...if he want sto keep it....I would think...

Although my 1911 is usually in auto with me or my carry .40...ive been wanting one of these five barrell .410's , just for a " good mornin to you "
    welcome to someone wanting to pull open my car door....2 buck , 2 slug
    and 1 45 colt.....( last one for the old...coue de grace......)
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As you say, there was an amnesty in the 60s. But nowadays, the only one who can register a firearm with NFA is the maker. If you have something that SHOULD be registered, but it is NOT registered, you are hosed. It is contraband, and the only legal thing you can do with it is turn it in to the ATF for destruction.
  7. mobman7326

mobman7326 New Member

I would like to thank all the persons who replied to my posted query about a J. Stevens .410 guage pistol/shotgun which a friend asked me about the other day, in hopes that I could find a way to shed some light on just what it was that he had. I would particularly like to thank member 22WRF for his comments and also on the link he posted regarding an article illuminating ATF's position on these type of pistols/guns. Thanks again for all the input I received.
    Sincerely,
    Mobman7326
  8. Jim A.

Jim A. New Member

I had a guy ask about the same type of gun and I told him to get rid of it. Long story short he now is a felony he got a year.