Stevens Walnut Hill 22 cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jim Edmondson, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Jim Edmondson

Jim Edmondson New Member

I recently purchased a Stevens Walnut Hill 22 cal. target rifle. The rifle is heavy, weighs about ten to twleve pounds. It is not one to take hunting but looks like a real tack driver. I have not shot it yet but the bore looks bright and shinning. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The No. 49 Walnut Hill was in the top bracket of the Stevens target rifle line, just below the Schuetzen rifles in price. The difference was not in shooting quality, but in the stocks, accessories and engraving.

The Walnut Hill was made on both the 44 and 44 1/2 actions; in top shape, those on the 44 action will run around $4500, those on the 44 1/2 action will bring $6000. The No. 50 Walnut Hill had fancier wood, but will run in the same general range. Collector interest is high, but unlike, say, Winchesters, somewhat limited.

They are fine rifles and as such were generally well cared for, so it is not surprising that yours is in good shape. It deserves good ammo, so splurge for Eley match or something of that quality, not the latest super-duper hotshot ammo.

Jim
  3. Jim Edmondson

Jim Edmondson New Member

Thanks Jim
    I had no idea it was worth this much. I bought it at an estate sale for a small sum. I will post better info later and maybe a picture (If I can figure out how) . Maybe carma finally has come my way for all these years of paying more than going worth of guns.
  4. Jim Edmondson

Jim Edmondson New Member

A little more information on the rifle:

weighs 10 lbs., 28 inch barrel. Stevens "Walnut Hill" on top of barrel, the number 4 with a circle around it is the only number besides the sn. SN 2421 and 22 long rifle

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member