steyr hahn and colt revolver pics

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by soundguy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

the revolver is marked as follows:

colts pt fa mfg co hartford ct usa pat august 5 1884 june 1900 july 41905

that was on bbl

also on bbl: new service 455 elley

other side of bbl:

.455" .760" 6 tons

steyr hahn

has been nickled or hard chromed, lanyard rin intact

2353j steyr 1915 has an large S near rear

following parts have small K on them:
    hammer, slide, frame, safety lever, lanyard ring, follower in magazine, slide release

pulling the slide back , there is a lower case 'a' on the piece under the bbl

some other small proofs in a couple spots, and on reverse side 47R

Attached Files:

2. soundguy

next 4 pics

pic shows cyl with a 455 loaded.

other pic shows that you can fit a penny between unloaded cyl and frame

looking at the face of the cyl near the extractor, there are 2 letters appearing on the face. they are a bit light and not full letters, but something was stamped there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Did you have a question or are you just sharing pics?
  4. soundguy

i had posted previously on both about possible valuation, there was a request for pics... really thinking it've went to the trouble in error again though...
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The New Service appears to be in good condition. It appears to have the British military proof mark as well as commercial proofs, probably done after it was sold out of British government stores. The New Service in .455 was sold to the Canadian RNWMP and RCMP but I see no markings indicating use by either organization. Value is probably around $800.

The Steyr-Hahn (Steyr Hammer model to distinguish it from the older Roth Steyr) appears to have been reblued. It looks like Austro-Hungarian military issue. The "k" is an inspection mark; the "S" simply indicates the direction of the lever to put the gun on safe. Value around $250.

Jim
  6. soundguy

thanks for the info.

I know the steyr has either been k=nickles or hard chromed.. it's a shame.. would have been better with original finish i'm sure. she's mechanically fine looking inside.. bore and all... better than any of my other steyr pistols.

again, thanks for the info on the colt. I'll admit up front I'm not a revolver guy. So this was produced for military service? but sold commercially then? and probably canadian?

thanks

a couple other collectors have looked at them.. and one guy who deals in C&R and museum pieces.

His valuation of the revolver was smak on with what you said.

the steyr was all over between 100 to 250$ the c&r dealer gave the steyr the low mark with most saying 200-250. the c&r guy is a pretty high end dealer.. he doesnt mess with lower end guns so I understand why he would value the refinished gun low. makes sense to me too as a collector. had I not already had to good original condition steyrs i probably would have passed on it. mind you i paid a bit more for my other steyrs.

overall.. looking at the range of the prices I've recieved, i did fine.. the steyr i either broke even in value vs pruchase price or made a littl bit of equity. the revolver, I'm hundreds into the equity side.

thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I see no sign that the Colt was made for or used by the Canadians.

The pictures are blurry, but the mark on the left front of the frame looks like the British Army proof mark. The mark on the left top (beside the penny) looks like a London commercial proof mark. The gun may have been sold or donated to the British in WWI or WWII. The commercial proof was likely added after it was sold by the British government.

The Steyr finish looked like bluing to me, which often happens in pictures. But in general a nickel or chrome re-finish devalues a gun that was originally blued more than a reblue does.

Jim
  8. soundguy

i agree on the refinish... i was sik when I say someone nickled it.... too bad too.. it's in decent condition.

sorry for the blurry pics. I have a close up setting.. but was having lighting issues getting it close enough AND lit properly.

ok.. I misunderstood onthe revolver.

so would it have been a commercial piece that was sent to brit military or ?