Steyr-Mannlicher Info Required

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by bassace, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bassace

bassace New Member

Trying to find out some info on a Mannlicher i have just purchased. If anyone can supply info it would be greatly appreciated. The rifle has on it:- Oesterr.WaffenFabr-Ges. Steyr, Made in Austria. There are two lots of numbers on the gun 19748 on both the reciver and barrel, also 6.9.28 on both also but the dot between the 6 & 9 is a bit bigger that the other dot. It also has a scope with it which has on it Hensoldt-Wetzlar, Ziel-Dialyt x4, Made in Germany 22800. It is in 6.5 MS. If anyone can shed some light on this rifle and a approx value for insurance purposes i would be greatfull.

Wardy

Attached Files:

2. bassace

bassace New Member

more photos

Attached Files:

3. bassace

bassace New Member

more pics

Attached Files:

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

bassacre, Welcome to the forum.

That is a good looking old rifle. I tried to find some info on it but can't find a whole lot. I did find that if it were made before WWII it was made by Mannlicher Schoenauer. If you knew what model it is and what caliber, maybe I could find a little more information.
  5. bassace

bassace New Member

Thanks gdmoody.
    caliber is 6.5 x 54 MS
    Model is a mystery? it could either be a 1903, 1905 or 1950 it appears to have been made in 1928 going by the stamps on reciever & barrel but i could be wrong. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks for your reply.

Wardy
  6. gdmoody

If I am looking at the right thing in my Blue Book of gun values, which is what I am quoting from: they were originally manufactured by Oesterreich Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft Steyr in Steyr, Austria, from the 1850s until 1971. The first "true" Mannlicher-Schoenauers were made in 1900, with serial production starting in 1903 or 1905.

In the condition that it appears to be in and I am only guessing that it is at 80-85% because I can't really see the pictures all that good. This information is for the gun only, not the scope!!

If it is a Model 1903 (take down model) rifle or carbine it could be worth up to about $2300

If it is a Model 1905 (take down model) rifle or carbine it could be worth up to about $1250

If it is a Model 1950 it could be worth about $1000. I do not think it is a Model 1950 because the blue book does not say anything about a take down model being made after WWII.

Again, this information is taken from the pages of The 30th Edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values. Let me make it perfectly clear that I am not nor do I pretend to be an expert on anything, I am just telling you what I am reading in this book.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Moody - that's a take-down? "Take-down", to me, means the barrel and the action come apart. That just looks like the barreled action has been removed from the stock. All bolt actions can do that. Yes/no?
  8. gdmoody

If it is not a "take-down" then reduce stated value by 25%. That is pretty much why I said "If it is a", because I am not sure, but yes you are right any rifle can have the action removed from the stock to make it fit into a case like that.

I am not sure of anything that is why I put the disclaimer as the last sentence of my post.:)
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Look at the first picture in post #2. Is that muzzle threaded?
  10. gdmoody

That is exactly what I was thinking when I first looked at the pictures, It does appear threaded.
  11. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Did it come with an old bottle of booz in the case? ;)

Seriously, you have a great find!
  12. bassace

bassace New Member

Thank-you for the info GDMOODY. In reply to your questions i have seen in other sites that the rifle was described as a "Gentlemans Take-down Sporting Rifle" i believe that the "Take-down" was in reference to the ability to removed action from woodwork without the need for tool's but i could be wrong.
    ALPO yes you are correct the barrel is threaded but for what reason i don't know.
    45AUTO the bottle in the case has a liquid in it that the owners father used as a scent to attract wild-dogs (dingoes) believe me it probably works as it smells bad.

Thanks again for this info and any more that you may find.

Wardy
  13. bassace

bassace New Member

I have found a catalogue from Sil. Rohu Gunsmith & Importer of High Grade Firearms of Sydney circa 1928.
    It lists the leather case, rifle & scope (same style but mine is not a ziess).
    Thought this might be of intrest.

Wardy

Attached Files:

14. bassace

bassace New Member

a little bit more info.
    going by this it looks like my rifle is a 1903 model.

Wardy

Attached Files: