STI guns

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by peco, Jan 14, 2010.

1. peco

peco New Member

Hi all,

New here - what a great forum :D

Live in Europe and here STI guns are a big thing. Looked thru many many many threads, did searches etc. and to my surprise very little came up about STI guns.

So my question is: Don't you guys like the STI guns? If not can I ask why? Just trying to figure out opinions on the STI brand.

Thanks.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome to TFF, peco. I've never heard of that brand! Wow.
  3. peco

peco New Member

4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Hey, thanks for the link, I'll have to look through the site and see what they say.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I looked them over and I will admit I liked the 2011 pistol alot. It is pricey but looks well done. I like the magwell and the slide design. I would take a closer look if I was in the market for a higher end pistol. Thanks for sharing.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Have read about them in my two 1911 books. Never seen one on the shelves around these parts. I see lots of Colt, Springfield, Taurus, Sig, Kimber. The 1911 I have - the Rock Island GI - was the only one on the shelf at Gander Mountain. I don't think it's a rare pistol at all though.

I think alot of it is that there are just so many different 1911 brands you can find.
  7. peco

peco New Member

Just wondered because lots of people here think STI are the one and only. Lasts a lifetime, shoots accurate, easy to upgrade etc. Kind of surprised to see how little there's on this forum about that brand.

Have to mention that most users shoots IPSC with the gun.

And, no.......I'm not selling STI guns or an affiliate. Just trying to figure out which gun will be best for me ;)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

STI are a well made gun. Very upgradeable, Accurate and IMO I would say they would compare to Night Hawk Customs in every aspect. They are a bit pricey, But worth every penny.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have built two 1911's using their frames and slides. Very good quality. A friend owns a Trojan 5.0 and I have shot it quite a bit. While I prefer my Les Baer Premier II, I would purchase an STI.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I was going to say... I thought the STI brand was more of a 1911 brand built for range shooting.
  11. peco

peco New Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  12. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Just got back from the Shot Show... and I did stop by the STI booth... which was a good size booth... larger than Nighthawks... lots of gun on the display tables that you could pick up and play with... umpteen different models and cals... frames, slides, bbls, parts... every thing you could want or need for 1911s... they also make DAOs which I did not pay much attention to you know ala Sig, Beretta, etc. etc. etc. ... was I burnt out after the show? LOL. IMO after examining their guns... quality looked excellent.. fit and finish right up there in the price range... 14 to 16 hundred. Really don't know why they don't have as much press as other brands... we have no shops here that I know of that carries them. I would seriously consider them if that was the $$$$ I wanted to spend on a 1911. I still think the DW Valor is hard one to beat in that price category.