1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

STI Spartan 9mm

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Shooter45, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Damn nice shooter, I think ill buy me one as well...
  3. Shooter45

Josh, I don't think you will go wrong. Remember, this is an STI bottom line pistol. I have owned their high end pistols and have never been disappointed.

The pistol has a suggested retail price of $660 and is a real bargain in a 1911. I'll get into much more detail later. :)
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

lookin forward to it shooter. Heck I was happy with the taurus 1911s and wouldnt trade my mut for nuttn, But STIs are assembled right here in TEXAS, so theres a little redneck pride in owning one... for me anyway:D
  5. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

My son has been looking for a 1911 in a 9mm, next time he's over I'll have him look at this thread.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's REAL nice Shooter!
    And yep, that one is still on my mind big time. Real anxious for your range report!:)
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Very nice, Sam! I am a bit jealous at the moment.

Crpdeth
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I can't say enough about them. STI in my book is one of the best even surpassing Colt and Kimber, and Springfield by a long shot. (sorry springfield guys, they've been shipping out some real turds lately) The spartan is the bottom line gun but its better than top of the line from other manufactures. Your right about the slides, they are really smooth even for a low end. The steelmasters feel like they are on ball bearings. The price you can't go wrong either. Arched mainspring housing and different grips is small potatoes compared to what you have to do to other manufactures to get them running right.
  9. mxracer07

mxracer07 New Member

very nice gun shooter be sure to post a range report i have heard good things about them now lets see how it shoots
  10. Shooter45

After three hundred rounds of ammo downrange with zero malfunctions, I'd say the break in period is over. :cool: Two passes with a BoreSnake and a quick wipe down, the pistol is clean. The SBGO is still in place so I'm not reoiling.

I'll put the pistol thru it's paces today at the local combat match.
  11. Shooter45

The pistol ran flawlessly thru the match. I didn't expect anything less. STI has a winner with this one. It's a very accurate pistol at a great price and it just doesn't get any better than that.

Guess I'd better start on the review. :)
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Shooter, is the finish on that gun a bit rough or parked, or did you wipe it down with SBGO? When I wipe down my TRP with SBGO it looks like that until I take a dry rag to it. That stuff really sticks!:D
  13. Shooter45

The pics were taken just as the pistol was removed out of the factory plastic bag. I removed the grips later and cleaned the outside with alcohol to remove the factory grease. Then the SBGO. The finish is parkerized and smooth.
  14. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ok parked. That would explain why it looks parkerized.:eek: My TRP looks like parked in photos if I dont wipe off the SBGO real good. I find it very hard to not use too much. BTW, very nice looking 1911. I have to find one to hold.
  15. Shooter45

Try a drop on a good quality shaving brush. A little goes a long way and the brush really spreads it around.