The Firearms Forum banner

STI Spartan 9mm

45K views 208 replies 32 participants last post by  Double D 
#1 ·
The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Josh, I don't think you will go wrong. Remember, this is an STI bottom line pistol. I have owned their high end pistols and have never been disappointed.

The pistol has a suggested retail price of $660 and is a real bargain in a 1911. I'll get into much more detail later. :)

#4 ·
lookin forward to it shooter. Heck I was happy with the taurus 1911s and wouldnt trade my mut for nuttn, But STIs are assembled right here in TEXAS, so theres a little ******* pride in owning one... for me anyway:D

#8 ·
I can't say enough about them. STI in my book is one of the best even surpassing Colt and Kimber, and Springfield by a long shot. (sorry springfield guys, they've been shipping out some real turds lately) The spartan is the bottom line gun but its better than top of the line from other manufactures. Your right about the slides, they are really smooth even for a low end. The steelmasters feel like they are on ball bearings. The price you can't go wrong either. Arched mainspring housing and different grips is small potatoes compared to what you have to do to other manufactures to get them running right.

#10 ·
After three hundred rounds of ammo downrange with zero malfunctions, I'd say the break in period is over. :cool: Two passes with a BoreSnake and a quick wipe down, the pistol is clean. The SBGO is still in place so I'm not reoiling.

I'll put the pistol thru it's paces today at the local combat match.

#11 ·
The pistol ran flawlessly thru the match. I didn't expect anything less. STI has a winner with this one. It's a very accurate pistol at a great price and it just doesn't get any better than that.

Guess I'd better start on the review. :)

#12 ·
The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)
Shooter, is the finish on that gun a bit rough or parked, or did you wipe it down with SBGO? When I wipe down my TRP with SBGO it looks like that until I take a dry rag to it. That stuff really sticks!:D

#14 ·
The pics were taken just as the pistol was removed out of the factory plastic bag. I removed the grips later and cleaned the outside with alcohol to remove the factory grease. Then the SBGO. The finish is parkerized and smooth.
Ok parked. That would explain why it looks parkerized.:eek: My TRP looks like parked in photos if I dont wipe off the SBGO real good. I find it very hard to not use too much. BTW, very nice looking 1911. I have to find one to hold.

#18 ·
I am going to buy one shooter, I got stu checkin on me one straight from STI. He and carol got to tour the shop last week (luckies).. So far, can you see anything that would need improving as it comes from the factory?

#19 ·
Yes, but for the price this is a great entry level competition pistol. The checkering on the Phillipine Mahogany grips isn't sharp enough for me and without the frontstrap checkered, the pistol could move around in my grip in hot weather. Not really a problem as the fix is simple. Plus, I usually change the grips on a new pistol anyway.

Also, the trigger on my pistol breaks just shy of 5 lb. Not bad but I'm used to 3 lb and lower. Another easy fix.

Keep in mind that suggested retail on this pistol is $660 and they can be bought for less. I bought this one from Double D Guns at a great price. I haven't done anything to the STI except wipe it down and shoot it. No problems. No FTF. Nothing. Goes bang everytime I press the trigger. The trigger is adj for overtravel. I didn't have to adj it. No creep and just a slight amount of takeup, then bang. I was concerned about the mags being cheap so I ordered a couple of Metalform Mags. My pistol and Mags came in the same day. I opened the case, took the pistol from the plastic wrapper, removed the mag, guess what. The mag was a stainless Metalform. Excellent mag. Two matches later, still no malfunction and that says a lot. Keep in mind that is with very little break in time.

I tore the pistol down for cleaning before firing and inspected all the fire control parts. All fitted. Nothing cheap there. Frame to slide fit was excellent. The barrel and bushing are a perfect fit. No movement anywhere. The LPA rear adj sight was made in Italy, not a BoMar but close enough for competition. Money saved there. The fiber optic front sight is bright and I like it. The checkered trigger is comfortable. The beavertail grip safety is well fitted as is the thumb safety.

The frames and slides are made in the Phillipines, then fitted with STI internals. Then shipped to STI for testing before being shipped to distributors. If problems are found, they are repaired by STI.

STI has a winner and I have a keeper. :)

#20 ·
just what I want to hear. itll be 6 bills well dropped then. cant wait to hear back from stu.

#22 ·
Really good to hear your review of the Spartan, Shooter! And all sounds well and very good...:) Ive read about everything I could on the 1911's, both here and every where else I could find to read and I'm sold, that this will be my first 1911. Not a matter of if, but when!
Congrat's on your STI 9mm Spartan!:)

#24 ·
bein a match shooter, id suspect shooter runs a mix if his most trusted factory brands as well as handloads...

#26 ·
Here is a pic with the magwell installed. I'm still liking this 1911 but have yet to do a range report. I still haven't adjusted the rear sight but it's coming. My health is improving and I'm healing up so maybe it won't be much longer. sorry for the delay. I still need to install an arched mainspring housing but after going thru my parts bin, I don't have one.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.