The Firearms Forum banner

STI Spartan 9mm

45K views 208 replies 32 participants last post by  Double D 
#1 ·
The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
very nice Sam. I just barely got the range report for my Savage build up on the forum a couple days ago. Been busy.

Glad youre on the mend!

#29 ·
Ivarr, you can't go wrong with the Spartan. Match ready for just over $600. I have won 4 matches with this one and all I did was remove it from the box and clean it. I haven't even adjusted the rear sight yet. I may do a trigger job one day as this one is about 4 1/2 lb as compared to 3 lb or less on my other pistols.
The STI Spartan is the best bang for the buck in todays 1911 market.

#30 ·
I just happen to have a new one in stock if anyone is interested. I promise to beat buds price. Send me a pm if interested.

#31 ·
Hello,
I bought my new STI Spartan from Double D.

Double D, I commend you on your excellent customer service, and fast turn around time, and especially your pricing. I searched the internet for weeks looking for this and calling all over the country trying to get one.
I stumbled upon this thread and contacted Double D. He replied quickly and by the next day I had my new Spartan.

Regarding the Spartan 9mm, great shooter, accurate, economical, truly a great entry level competition 1911 out of the box. I did have some feed problems with one of my wilson high cap mags, but think this will work itself out with proper break in.

again thank you Double D!

#32 ·
Welcome to TFF Freedom7. DD is a good guy, one of the best the forum has to offer IMO..

#35 ·
Thanks freedom, the same goes for you as a customer. A pleasure to deal with. I am in the process of trying to restock the spartan as we speak. My supplier is out and the factory is 8 weeks out so I will post when I get more in case anyone is interested. I thought I might mention that the spartan ships with only ONE magazine. If you see it advertised with 2, they have added a magazine. Thanks

#36 ·
Welcome to TFF Freedom7. DD is a good guy, one of the best the forum has to offer IMO..
I am going to have to get my cape out of the cleaners to be able to live up to all this kind of talk! Thanks....

#37 ·
Hello,
I bought my new STI Spartan from Double D.

Double D, I commend you on your excellent customer service, and fast turn around time, and especially your pricing. I searched the internet for weeks looking for this and calling all over the country trying to get one.
I stumbled upon this thread and contacted Double D. He replied quickly and by the next day I had my new Spartan.

Regarding the Spartan 9mm, great shooter, accurate, economical, truly a great entry level competition 1911 out of the box. I did have some feed problems with one of my wilson high cap mags, but think this will work itself out with proper break in.

again thank you Double D!
Freedom, The metalform mag that comes with the Spartan is an excellent mag. Order a few more from www.brownells.com Much less $$ than the Wilson mags.

#38 ·
I fired another 100 rounds today and the more I shoot this pistol, the more I like it. I have 1911's costing over three times as much as this one and the STI Spartan is a keeper.

BTW, the Silver Bullet Gun Oil is still where I put it after the first cleaning out of the box. I have only run a BoreSnake down the barrel ONE time and it's still clean.

At this time the Spartan is still more accurate than I am but my health is improving. Once I'm back on my game I'll see if that changes. I like a challange and the STI Spartan will be a good one. This pistol is very accurate. :)

#39 ·
Glad you are happy with the Spartan, Shooter. I picked up one in 45 early this year and it has been excellent. I had some early issues with reloads (OAL & crimp with 200 JFP) but that has been taken care of. I liked this gun so much that I recently picked up a STI Ranger II which I am also extremely happy with. I think it must be pretty hard to fault STI's products.

#40 ·
Indeed. And im damn proud they are made here in my home state of Texas..

#41 ·
I've spoke on the phone with the folks at STI a couple of times before buying my Spartan. They answered all my questions without hesitation.

The company is now employee owned so they want to supply the best 1911 money can buy. They are proud of what they do and it shows in their workmanship.

#42 ·
I said I would post and let you guys know when I got another sparty in. I will have it tuesday. PM me if interested....

#43 ·
DAMN CITY OF HILLSBORO!! I figured that would happen..:mad: The one week someone gets a spartan, Is the same week Hill county wants 300 bucks for a window tint ticket..:mad:

Maybe next time DD..:(

#44 ·
No problem dude. I may have it for a while. If not, I think they are starting to come around more. Should be able to get them. I can get the 45s too. Same price.

#45 ·
I saw an STI Spartan 9 at the Waukesha Gun Expo this past weekend. Nice gun. It was around $700 and I wish I would have had the cash on me to buy it.

#46 ·
I fired another 100 rounds with the STI Spartan today. This pistol is accurate and reliable with no stoppages of any kind since it was new. I may have to purchase one in .45 ACP. The 9mm in the 1911 platform is fun to shoot.

If you recall, I stripped the pistol and gave it a good cleaning the day I took it out of the case. Then I lubed it with Silver Bullet Gun Oil. I have lost count of the rounds fired from the Spartan ( I'll have to do a brass count ) but I can retract the slide and still see SBGO on the rails. I was thinking about running a BoreSnake thru the barrel but I'm going to hold off a bit longer. The pistol just isn't getting dirty. No grime or build up anywhere that I can see without tearing the pistol down and I don't want to do it yet.

It's an excellent 1911 at a great price and again, I think STI has a winner with the Spartan. :)

#47 ·
I fired another 100 rounds with the STI Spartan today. This pistol is accurate and reliable with no stoppages of any kind since it was new. I may have to purchase one in .45 ACP. The 9mm in the 1911 platform is fun to shoot.

If you recall, I stripped the pistol and gave it a good cleaning the day I took it out of the case. Then I lubed it with Silver Bullet Gun Oil. I have lost count of the rounds fired from the Spartan ( I'll have to do a brass count ) but I can retract the slide and still see SBGO on the rails. I was thinking about running a BoreSnake thru the barrel but I'm going to hold off a bit longer. The pistol just isn't getting dirty. No grime or build up anywhere that I can see without tearing the pistol down and I don't want to do it yet.

It's an excellent 1911 at a great price and again, I think STI has a winner with the Spartan. :)
STI is just a short drive to the south of me, Glad to hear that there's great guns coming out of TX.

#48 ·
I saw an STI Spartan 9 at the Waukesha Gun Expo this past weekend. Nice gun. It was around $700 and I wish I would have had the cash on me to buy it.
625.00 plus shipping. I have one in stock.

#49 ·
That's the best $625 anyone will spend on a match ready 1911. Take it out of the case, clean it, oil it and start shooting. I still haven't zeroed the sights on mine and have won every match I've shot.

I just came in from shooting another 400 rounds. :D

This is a fun pistol and it holds a good group even with the inexpensive ammo I'm shooting. :)

#50 ·
The Spartan has now fired over 1400 rounds without any kind of stoppage. The pistol was cleaned when I took it out of the box and lubed with Silver Bullet Gun Oil. It hasn't been cleaned since. When I rack the slide, I'm still seeing the SBGO between the slide rails and frame. :) Good stuff.

The trigger has lightned up with use as I haven't done a trigger job on it yet. The frame to slide fit is still perfect.

STI got this one right. The STI Spartan 1911 is the best bang for the buck in todays 1911 market. I like it. :)

#51 ·
I will sell the one I have in stock for 629.00 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.