1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

STI Spartan 9mm

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Shooter45, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'll try that. I usually just put a few drops on my micro fiber and wipe down whatever it is I'm cleaning, but I still over do it.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Spent most of yesterday fitting a magwell then altering the factory grips to fit. With snow still on the ground, no range time. :mad:
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am going to buy one shooter, I got stu checkin on me one straight from STI. He and carol got to tour the shop last week (luckies).. So far, can you see anything that would need improving as it comes from the factory?
  4. Shooter45

Yes, but for the price this is a great entry level competition pistol. The checkering on the Phillipine Mahogany grips isn't sharp enough for me and without the frontstrap checkered, the pistol could move around in my grip in hot weather. Not really a problem as the fix is simple. Plus, I usually change the grips on a new pistol anyway.

Also, the trigger on my pistol breaks just shy of 5 lb. Not bad but I'm used to 3 lb and lower. Another easy fix.

Keep in mind that suggested retail on this pistol is $660 and they can be bought for less. I bought this one from Double D Guns at a great price. I haven't done anything to the STI except clean it and shoot it. No problems. No FTF. Nothing. Goes bang everytime I press the trigger. The trigger is adj for overtravel. I didn't have to adj it. No creep and just a slight amount of takeup, then bang. I was concerned about the mags being cheap so I ordered a couple of Metalform Mags. My pistol and Mags came in the same day. I opened the case, took the pistol from the plastic wrapper, removed the mag, guess what. The mag was a stainless Metalform. Excellent mag. Two matches later, still no malfunction and that says a lot. Keep in mind that is with very little break in time.

I tore the pistol down for cleaning before firing and inspected all the fire control parts. All fitted. Nothing cheap there. Frame to slide fit was excellent. The barrel and bushing are a perfect fit. No movement anywhere. The LPA rear adj sight was made in Italy, not a BoMar but close enough for competition. Money saved there. The fiber optic front sight is bright and I like it. The checkered trigger is comfortable. The beavertail grip safety is well fitted as is the thumb safety.

The frames and slides are made in the Phillipines, then fitted with STI internals. Then shipped to STI for testing before being shipped to distributors. If problems are found, they are repaired by STI.

STI has a winner and I have a keeper. :)
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just what I want to hear. itll be 6 bills well dropped then. cant wait to hear back from stu.
  6. Shooter45

I got a really good price from DoubleD here on the forum. Give him a call.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Really good to hear your review of the Spartan, Shooter! And all sounds well and very good...:) Ive read about everything I could on the 1911's, both here and every where else I could find to read and I'm sold, that this will be my first 1911. Not a matter of if, but when!
    Congrat's on your STI 9mm Spartan!:)
  8. dbltap

dbltap New Member

What ammo do you run; factory or reloads? I just bought my Spartan today.

Thanks
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

bein a match shooter, id suspect shooter runs a mix if his most trusted factory brands as well as handloads...
  10. mxracer07

mxracer07 New Member

i would like to see some pics of it with the new magwell on it if you get a chance
  11. Shooter45

Here is a pic with the magwell installed. I'm still liking this 1911 but have yet to do a range report. I still haven't adjusted the rear sight but it's coming. My health is improving and I'm healing up so maybe it won't be much longer. sorry for the delay. I still need to install an arched mainspring housing but after going thru my parts bin, I don't have one.

Attached Files:

12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

very nice Sam. I just barely got the range report for my Savage build up on the forum a couple days ago. Been busy.

Glad youre on the mend!
  13. ivarr

ivarr New Member

STI's have been attracting my attention quite a bit lately.
    thanks for the report
  14. Shooter45

Ivarr, you can't go wrong with the Spartan. Match ready for just over $600. I have won 4 matches with this one and all I did was remove it from the box and clean it. I haven't even adjusted the rear sight yet. I may do a trigger job one day as this one is about 4 1/2 lb as compared to 3 lb or less on my other pistols.
    The STI Spartan is the best bang for the buck in todays 1911 market.
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just happen to have a new one in stock if anyone is interested. I promise to beat buds price. Send me a pm if interested.