The Firearms Forum banner

STI Spartan 9mm

45K views 208 replies 32 participants last post by  Double D 
#1 ·
The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
Looks like the spartan I have is sold. I try to keep them in stock so anyone else that may be interested can check with me. Thanks

#55 ·
Drawing Precisions 1911 single stack magwell funnel. Its the ICE model and popular with IPSC and IDPA shooters. it allows for easier reloads because it helps funnel the mag into the weapon.

#57 ·
Because most of us that have been in love with 1911s since we were kids have several already. and a single stack govt 1911 is a single stack govt 1911 is a single stack govt 1911.. We already know what they are gonna feel like..;)

#58 ·
Like JLA says Beth...it is what it is. If you want it to feel different then most people just put different grips on them.

#61 ·
And that is one of the beautiful things about 1911s. With todays aftermarket grip selection, and custom grip builders with mad skillz like our own Carl Wallace, one can make a 1911 grip comfy for almost anyone. It truly is a one size fits most design nowadays..

#62 ·
J is right on beth. If you havent ever carressed a 1911 you aint livin.

My wife is 5'1". her entire hand fits in the palm of mine and she can comfortably shoot a full size single stack 1911 with a set of slim grips. I like full size grips and Hogue wraparounds. Double stack 1911s in .45ACP feel like holding the wrong end of a louisville slugger and arent comfortable for small handed people, and it is also the reason those designs only come with slim grips, and I mean borderline paper thin grips..

#64 ·
Cant beat the feel of a 1911 I have one with the arched msh and it feels great and I have one with the straight serrated msh and it feels great and I have one with a s&a magwell straight checkered and it feels great and I've been fondling a bobtail at my lgs and it feels great my gunsmith has a para hicap and it also feels great....

#65 ·
I used to have a springfield double stack. Used Para P14 mags, its alot of firepower. with 14 rounds of .45ACP at your disposal without reloading, one starts to feel a bit invincible..

#67 ·
Cant beat the feel of a 1911 I have one with the arched msh and it feels great and I have one with the straight serrated msh and it feels great and I have one with a s&a magwell straight checkered and it feels great and I've been fondling a bobtail at my lgs and it feels great my gunsmith has a para hicap and it also feels great....
You know why Ed Brown invented the bobtailed 1911 right??
Rumor has it, like 95% of the rest of us, hes had his fair share of cheeseburgers and fried chicken, and when you carry a 1911 canted in an IWB the tip of the MSH jabs you in the lovehandles when you sit. I have had the pleasure of trying an Ed Brown Cobra Carry in my IWB and it is a HUGE difference. Just that small amount of missing metal takes the edge off and makes the 1911 a very comfortable option for deep concealment.

At least this is what I gather from unpublished readings and talking with those in the know..

#69 ·
so basically all the 1911's feel the same? Also is it called a 1911 because it's competition? what is the 9x19 or whatever it is? same as a 9mm?
The 1911 is so called because it was adopted by the US Army in 1911. John Moses Browning, working under contract of Colts manufactering began work on what woul dbecome the Colt Govt model 1911 in 1905. He bagan by designing the cartridge. A rimless .45 caliber cartridge that carried the ballistics of the old .45 Colt cartridge but in a smaller package. Then he designed the Weapon around the cartridge. He pretty much nailed the basic design with his first prototype and only made minor mods before arriving at the 1911 as we know it for military trials in June I think of 1911. Commercially, the 1911 govt was to be marketed as the colt .45 automatic, but its govt acceptance forever labeled it the colt govt model 1911. then in 1935, just before WW2 the military ordered up a couple design improvements that became the 1911A1, subtle improvements such as the switch from a short trigger to a long one, frame relief cuts rear of the trigger guard, angled cocking serrations, and an arched MSH just to name a couple off the top of my head..

And yes the 9X19 IS the 9mm auto, or 9mm parabellum or the 9mm luger... ALL different names for the same round.

#72 ·
I know the feeling.

But for some reason I feel patience is not a virtue you possess Beth..;)

#74 ·
Go for it! When I took my accounting class my instructor said the most important part of personal records keeping is PYF.. without PYF, its hard to keep motivated. Which will lead to the loss of your ability to keep accurate records, or worse, you lose your steady income flow due to lack of motivation.. That lady was a genious accountant and record keeper..

#76 ·
Me too. Im on vacation. I have had anaheims 3 times since last sunday. I gotta go back to work friday mornin. So for the next 3 days i aint doin nuttn but floatn around in the pool and shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.