The Firearms Forum banner

STI Spartan 9mm

45K views 208 replies 32 participants last post by  Double D 
#1 ·
The pistol came in today and I'm very impressed. Packed in a foam lined plastic case with owners manual and one stainless mag. More about that later. :) All I have heard about this pistol is true, except for a few things that I'll cover over the next couple of days.

After stripping the pistol and giving it a good cleaning, I can see the work that went into it. All parts are FITTED correctly with no flaws anywhere. I then reassembled with a light oiling using SBGO. The frame and slide are tightly fitted and moves smoothly.

What would I change ? Maybe replace the mainspring housing. I prefer an arched housing. And the grips. just because I can. The supplied grips are Phillipine Mahogany and nicely checkered in the double diamond pattern. And I'll probably wrap a strip of skate board tape across the front strap for a non skid grip.

I did fire the pistol today a total for 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. Nothing for group size as I was shooting at a 12" steel plate at fifty yards. I did have a couple of misses but the sight was set at the factory setting and not disturbed. I'll dial it in later. All I wanted to do was get some break in time and check for function.

I'll post a couple of pictures and write more later. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
so basically all the 1911's feel the same? Also is it called a 1911 because it's competition? what is the 9x19 or whatever it is? same as a 9mm?
No all of them feel different but to me they all feel good
9x19 is what most people call 9mm its also called 9mm parabellum or 9mm luger or 9mm nato

#79 ·
You know why Ed Brown invented the bobtailed 1911 right??
Rumor has it, like 95% of the rest of us, hes had his fair share of cheeseburgers and fried chicken, and when you carry a 1911 canted in an IWB the tip of the MSH jabs you in the lovehandles when you sit. I have had the pleasure of trying an Ed Brown Cobra Carry in my IWB and it is a HUGE difference. Just that small amount of missing metal takes the edge off and makes the 1911 a very comfortable option for deep concealment.

At least this is what I gather from unpublished readings and talking with those in the know..
I didnt know that everyone says its to keep it from printing but thats why I liked the idea of it mine digs in some I'm kinda big I'm thinking of bobbing my ria frame since it was a cheapo sarco frame anyway and the msh pin hole is not square with the frame

#80 ·
Thats the beauty of em. you can put whatever you like in there and theres a 99% chance itll be good. Let me know how it turns out.

I have also been grilling portabella mushroom caps. baste them with garlic butter and oliveoil and load em with cheese and fresh salsa. Excellent..

#81 ·
I didnt know that everyone says its to keep it from printing but thats why I liked the idea of it mine digs in some I'm kinda big I'm thinking of bobbing my ria frame since it was a cheapo sarco frame anyway and the msh pin hole is not square with the frame
I can see the printing thing on skinny guys, but Im a large fella and a full size 1911 all but disappears in my waist band, except for when I sit, I have to pull that thing out a bit so it doesnt dig in. The bobtail solves both problems

#83 ·
fusion had some bobtail msh's cheap on brandx.com i'm still thinkin about it but I gotta get a barrel fit first

#90 ·
I think so. One thing about a 1911. If the grip doesn't fit you, , it can be enlarged by using an arched mainspring housing and a long or extra long trigger. Grip too big, buy thinner grips, use a short trigger and a flat mainspring housing.

#99 ·
I guarantee you DD cant be beat on price. I sometimes wonder how that guy affords to eat..

#100 ·
I have 585.00 in a spartan before any profit. If I shipped for 600.00 I would break even or go in the hole. The millionares dont pay as much as I do so they can sell for less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.