The Firearms Forum banner

STI Spartan in 9mm review:

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  H-D 
#1 ·
Well, I finally got around to taking the Spartan 9mm out to the range. This is my third 1911. I have one (GSG) in .22, one (Kimber Compact CDP) in .45 acp and now the STI Spartan 9mm.

My father carried the 1911 during WWII and I absolutely love the platform.

This was my first time buying out of state and I am quite pleased to report that thanks to Double D and the FFL on my end, the transaction was smooth as silk...I don't know about anyone else, but I was quite nervous...you hear so many tales of deceit on the web. The ONLY reason I proceeded with this is because of Double D's stellar reputation on this site. I also used a new to me FFL on my end that brought a bit of apprehension into the mix. Prepare for the worst, embrace the best!

Fit and finish is quality and seems to be everything as stated in Shooter45's report. It was purchased as a range/out back of the barn gun to be shot with the cheapest domestic ammo I can find.

Out to the garage to field strip and clean...I used Gunzilla to clean and Tetra grease on the slide, re-assembled. I found this on youtube to aid in field strip:

I used Shooter45's recommendation of using the MetalForm Mags. Thank you Shooter45! After researching, most all agree that for a 9mm 1911, you can't do better. I found them at CTD for $30 plus shipping and bought (2) for a total of (3). Once at the range, I found that they are not the easiest mags to load...LOL...must be my tender paws!

I used a bore site to dial in the adjustable sight (very easy to do) out in the garage with a range of 25 feet. After that, made my appointment at Bass Pro Shop with a few friends to make the Sparty's debut. I entered Bass Pro open carrying in a bandoleer around my shoulder...a couple of compliments ensued as I proceeded to the range.

My first couple of shots at 15 feet were not close to my point of aim. Disappointed, I slowly adjusted my sights to bring her in to my target. After a couple of clicks here and there, it was perfect. Apparently, bore sighting in the garage, just pointing and my lack of trigger control actually shooting is completely different...but that's probably another thread.

The glow sight on the front is not too bright in the low light of this particular range, but is quite nice compared to black sights. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I'm glad it has it.

Recoil is very manageable as is every other aspect of this pistol. The trigger is beautiful as is most of the 1911's I've had an opportunity to shoot. Some are better than others, but for the most part, I like them all.

I moved the target out to 25 feet and after a few more rounds I was shooting consistently. I took out a couple of splat targets that were the size of a fifty cent piece and placed them on the four corners of my target. Four shots later, four shots on the money...I'm not a great shooter, but I can shoot. I'm mostly a three inch group shooter as opposed to a sharp shooter bulls eye type shooter if that makes any sense.

Next up, I lined up my five friends to try her out. EVERY one of them shot the Sparty well including two that had never shot a 1911 before. All agreed that it was a winner. "Nice shooter", "nice trigger" were their comments.

I've only shot it a total of 150 rounds so far with ball nose WWB, but did not have one FTF or FTE. NO problems whatsoever.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with this STI Spartan in 9mm and will shoot it with confidence. I hope I never have to use STI's warranty or customer service, but if I must, I will report back!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good report, thanks!

#3 ·
I'm glad you went to the metalform mags. The only complaint that I have ever gotten about the spartan 9mm is the mags are total junk and cause some major feed issues. STI supposedly when to a different mag but I yet to see that change on any new ones in stores.

#4 ·
Helix, my Spartan came with one Metalform Mag. I had heard the stories about the junk mags but for the price I would never complain. When I ordered my Spartan from Double D, I called Brownells the same day and ordered a couple of Metalform mags. Got the pistol and the mags the same day and was pleasantly suprised. Looks like STI has corrected that problem.

Metalform is an excellent mag.

RPM06, thanks for the report. One thing you need to do is lube that new pistol with some Silver bullet Gun Oil. Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you a bottle as it's the best I've ever used. :)

And FYI, you don't ever have to worry when doing business with Double D. When he tells you something, believe it. I've done business with Dan on several ocassions and will again. All the transactions have been excellent. I've met up with Dan several times and I'm honored to call him a personal friend. :)

To anyone needing a firearm, give Double D a call, you'll be glad you did.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. If you dont have your word, what do you have?

#6 ·
speaking of which.. I been looking for a Savage mod 10 Precision carbine in .223. need a project for the wife.. What say you DD?? got any on the shelf. Stu cant get me one, says his supplier is out. I been shoppin used locally but to no avail..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.