Sticking casings

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Easyshooter, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Loaded my first bullets today. Stared by loading up 10, 45 Colts to try out and had no problem. Then switched to 223 and had troubles with getting the casings stuck. I sprayed plenty of Hornady one shot lube in the die and on the casings both. Pulled the ram up and down several times, tried several different types of brass, sprayed more lube. Finaly pulled hard enough to get the ram all the way up on the die and the casing got stuck in the die... It is a Hornady die I bougth used at a gun show. I did soak it in solvent and cleaned it out good before I started. What is the deal?
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

One shot lube is sprayed on the brass case and allowed to dry. If it is not allowed to dry it can cause a stuck case. Did you let it dry completely before sizing?

Do "The Google" for One Shot and stuck cases. You will soon learn that it sucks and is responsible for more stuck cases than all other lubes combined.
  3. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Like Steve said you have to let it dry. You also don't need to spray it in the die. You also need to shake it very good before you spray it to get the lube to mix good with the drying agent.
  4. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

The directions on the can said shake well, let dry for one minute, spray the cases and the die once to get started. I did just that. Actualy it was several minutes by the time I quit messing with it and gave up.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I would say ANY of the spray lubes create issues such as this. The best lube method I have found is the Hornady Unique case lube which is nothing but mink oil in a tub, a small amount on your thumb and forefinger as you grab each case is all that is needed, takes almost no extra time. The advantage is that you are feeling the amount of lube on each case, not too much or little and also keeping it off the shoulders. My second preferred method is the standard lube and pad. The spray stuff, whether it is Lyman, Hornday etc has damaged to much of my brass and taken up too much of my time to justify the supposed convienience.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

From my Lee reloading manual, which came with my press...

[​IMG]
  7. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess I get a different type of lube and try again. I also found out that my RCBS shellholders won't work with my Hornady case trimmer. Salesman at the store said they would. I have just been reloading the brass that is within spec.
  8. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

My Lee Press has a Hole on the left side of the base that is there if you want to add any accessories. I stick a cotton mop .240 cal. (came with a cleaning kit) in there and place a couple of drops of the RCBS lube there every few rounds I stick over it and lube the inside wall of the case. It's easier than swabbing each case. I have a lube pad, but when I have a lot of brass, I will use a foil pie tray with a couple papertowels on the bottom. Placing the lube on the towel and then a larger amount of brass can roll around in it. Instead of stopping every 8 or 10 rounds and loading the tray.

Are you using Carbide dies?

You'll find your own tricks as you go and all of us who load have differnet methods that we use. A stuck case is fustrating
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You don't have to give up on it. Spraying the One-Shot on too heavy and/or not letting it dry "completely", meaning, not by one minute or a few minutes but "completely dry", there shouldn't be any problem. I've been using it for years and the only problem I encountered was when rushing it. I learned to spray on a light amount and then dry it (just about instantly) with a heat gun. Since I "discovered" One-Shot, I wouldn't even think of going back to another lube.
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I've been using the One Shot too, but I would add that I've had problems with the pump spray and quit using it. I now use the aerosol version. Probably if I were loading brass of unknown provenance for the first time (like range brass), I would go with a lube pad and not worry about it.
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Lots of case lubes out there and I've tried most if not all of them. I'm back to the old tried and true RCBS case lube and pad. Never a stuck case, no waiting to dry, not spays or pumps. I do have to tumble the lube off after sizing though, that kinda sucks.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Imperial Sizing Wax has been my favorite for some time. Never had a stuck case and a little goes a long way.
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO the spray bottle is worthless.

RCBS roll lube pad? Haven't used mine since the invention of Hot-Shot. Don't miss it either.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  14. BDJ

BDJ Member

Easy
    Put your brass in a plastic bag and shoot it down with the One Shot and move/squash it around a bit. You will get a nice even coating of One Shot on your brass.

Jig-a-loo on a Q-tip works great inside the necks.

Jig-A-loo
    http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_graphite-extreme.php
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Josh (JLA) gave me a recipe for case lube that works great and is not anywhere as near as expensive as the ones mentioned above. Get yourself a tube of the Lee Lube (about $3), just like what is pictured in The Rifleman's post, get yourself a bottle of alcohol ($1.00).

1. Squirt the tube of Lee Lube into the pint of alcohol and shake until mixed well.
    2. Put the mixture into a spray bottle.
    3. Place brass into a gallon baggie.
    4. Spray mixture into the baggie, shut the bagg and shake it vigorously.
    5. Take the brass out of the baggie and let it dry.
    6. Re-size the brass.
    If the coverage is not enough for you, repeat #4

I mixed up a pint last year sometimes and I am still using the same batch. A little bit really does go a long way. It covers the outside and the inside.
  16. Orin

Orin Member

Sumthin to remember - tolerances are very tight in brass resizing. Even a drying lube, that has fast-dry solvent, leaves a film of solid material. A lil dabble dooya! Too much messes with those tolerances.
  17. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I do the same thing. Don't have a problem with stuck cases.