sticky barrel!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by da357mag, Feb 12, 2012.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Hi All. got a bit of a problem. I am getting ready to bed my Win M70, and what I am dealing with is fiberglass resin!:eek: At least I think that is what it is. I have already ground out close to 1/8th of an inch just in front of the recoil lug, and at least 1/16th of an inch along the rest of the channel. Now the main problem I have is that some of the resin is stuck to the bottom of the barrel! I know of course I can grind it out of the stock, but how can I get the stuff off the barrel? I don't want to hurt the bluing,which I hay go ahead and do anyway since it is all scratched up anyway! I guess when the resin flowed out of the gap between the barrel and the stock they nice dull knifes to cut it off! Look.

[​IMG],

This is just some of the scratches on the barrel! the bottom is worse.
    This is what the barrel challel looked like before I started working on it.

[​IMG],

This is it to this point.

[​IMG],

As you can see there is still a lot of resin in the channel! The area in front of the lug I have already ground out at least 3/32" of resin and it is still built up! Anyway to get back to my original question, How do I get this stuff off the bottom of ths barrel so I can use some Oxpho blue to at least cover it up some!:eek: Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks! Doug
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

scrape it off with a knife or a razor blade, carefully. You are probably going to scratch the bluing, but if its already all scratched up whats a couple more scratches gonna hurt?
  3. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Ya you have a good point! I stopped grinding on it to have dinner and I think I am going to have to get an aftermarket stock! Looking at all the crap that has been done to it, I'm afraid its hopeless. I have been toying with the idea od a Richards Microfit, and I think this would be a good project for one and thanks for the idea on getting the stuff off the barrel! Doug
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Might consider a Hogue pillar bed stock. I bought one for the remage and then epoxy bedded the recoil lug in the stock. The fit is perfect and the rubber overmolding dampens the vibration and really helps that thing shoot.

Lookin at the length of the mag box mortise im guessin long action..;)

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=655_696

The camo ones look really sweet on a blued gun, and so does the OD Green and Ghillie Tan. Black looks best on a stainless gun IMO.

But bottom line... The rubber makes a difference. And not just in the comfort and feel.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The one i got for the remage is Ghillie Green (light OD with Tan swirls) and its on a Matte blued action with a stainless barrel.

Attached Files:

6. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Ya it's a long action. They didn't start making the post 64 short actions til 83-84, according to Boyd's gunstocks. I restocked my CZ into a Boyd's thumbhole and refinished it( the factory finish had no color!:eek:) and I can get a thumbhole varmint stock from them for about $100 bucks. Then I would have a matching pair! Both .22 cal just one makes a lot of noise! lol! Then I can start working on getting it cleaned up, and fix the scratches in the bluing. I have seen Oxpho blue in action and although it doesn't exactly match it is close!
    I appreciate the input! Thanks. Doug
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a winner. Oxpho is good cold blue. only stuff i like to use. I am trying out this stuff called G96 that works good but you have to slightly heat the metal.
  8. mranum

mranum Member

Pick up some Goo Gone. http://www.googone.com/

Should be able to get it at any hardware store or wally world. I haven't seen to much it can't dissolve. Maybe it'll work, but its great stuff to keep in the shop regardless.

I used it to remove tape glue from a blued Makarov pistol not long ago and didn't bother the finish at all.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It all depends on the epoxy or resin used and how well the metal was degreased but I've had very good luck popping thin epoxy buildup off of metal using just an old credit card or some other nice hard plastic scraper. Stuff the metal in the freezer to get it good and cold and start working on it as soon as you pull it out. The colder the better.

Also, while it's cold, if you don't have a nice square edge to get the scraper to start biting, tap around on the epoxy layer with the a brass hammer or punch. Use a sharp edge of the hammer/punch face to get a chisel effect.

Yeah, it'll take a while but neither one will damage a blued finish.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Lye will destroy epoxy. Dangerous stuff to mess with. So far (repeat so far) it didn't damage gun finish when I used it. Best try a test spot.
  11. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Well I got it off! I was at Wal Mart and happened across one of the copper scrubbing pads, I figured copper was softer than steel, so that and a little WD-40 scraped it off and didn't hurt the metal or the bluing! So something to keep in mind for stubborn cleaning! Doug
  12. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I decided to "fix" the stock problem, I ordered a Boyd's thumbhole varmint laminate in what they call "pepper" which is basically a black and white stock. I have a CZ452 special(AKA trainer) and got a thumbhole in what they call "nutmeg" so now I will have two rifles with the same stock, just one makes a lot more noise than the other!:D The more I worked on the original stock I could see I was beating a dead horse! So even though it's brand new the action will be pillar bedded (by me!) and I will probably refinish it as well! It always seems to work out like this, when the winter time rainy season comes around I end up with a "project" LOL! Thanks for the input, and I will do a pictorial of the bedding process from new to modified for bedding and all the good doing rot that goes along with! Sounds like fun to me!:D Doug