1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Still issues with Winchester model 74

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by madmxx22277, Jul 29, 2006.

1. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

Just wondering if anybody knows of this issue and a fix.
    I got an old Winchester model 74 .22, used to shoot the heck out of it... Finally after sitting a few months it would no longer work, it will shoot the first round that you manually jack into the gun, but the bolt would not cock the firing pin for the next shot, it would however eject spent casing and grap new ground, just wouldn't cock firing pin, I then could manually eject that round and feed new round and it would shoot that round...
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I don`t remember which this rifle is......does it cock on the close cycle or the open cycle. I always confuse them. That is the starting place.

LTS
  3. JRH

JRH New Member

Try some different ammo...it sounds like it is short stroking . Are you shooting LR or Shorts? If it is cheap ammo sometimes there is a quite a difference in consistancy from round to round. CCI mini mag is a good choice for testing....if it fails on that stuff then you know there is a problem.
  4. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

Shooting LR, ammo doesn't matter, I have tried CCI, Federal, Remington, etc....
    Whatever happened it was sorta without notice, took it out and shot it, cleaned it, sat for couple of months, and then it wouldn't work, I have replaced the bolt spring the firing pin spring and the latch that locks the firing pin, still didn't make a difference, I got the parts from Numerich.
  5. BADSBSNF81

BADSBSNF81 New Member

Have you given it a a really good cleaning?