Stinger in bolt action Marlin rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by WILD CAT, Aug 7, 2009.

1. WILD CAT

WILD CAT New Member

I adjusted the scope on my LR bolt action Marlin rifle with winchester solid point rounds. At 25 yards they print a single ragged hole. Shooting the 22 stinger at the same distance and target I get a curved arch ")" about 2 inches to the right. What could be the reason?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

A lot of folks say that they get poor results with Stingers & other hyper-vel ammo out of a Marlin Micro-Groove barrel.

I've had mixed results. I had one Model 60 semi that just loved Stingers and Remington Viper (but not Yellow Jackets)...but have had another 70 and a 25 bolt-action that didn't group them good at all.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Hyper velocity rounds travel the barrel more quickly and therefore get spun up to a centrifugal speed that proportionately exceeds that of most standard velocity ammo. Centrifugal velocity is the spinning RPM of the bullet imposed by the firearm's rifling. The centrifugal pull variations of a lead cast, copper plated bullet should be a bit erratic due to the molding and plating process, and not being perfect by any means. Every little variation means a lot at higher centrifugal velocities, which corresponds to higher centrifugal forces which will pull the bullets off course. My personal opinion is that hyper-velocity ammo should be fired from a gun with a lower rifling twist ratio to preserve the original centrifugal velocity intended for standard velocity ammo. I believe that the higher centrifugal velocity and natural variation in casting/plating of the bullet, as well as the shorter length contribute negatively to the overall accuracy of hyper-velocity ammo. I'd be curious to see how well they do in lower twist ratio barrels (say, 1:20 versus 1:16). Pretty much everyone complains that hyper-velocity ammo is less accurate when fired from the same barrel as a standard velocity round. This is probably why...

Of course, I could always be wrong... :)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

I dialed them in at 25, 50, 75 then 100 yards. The Model 60 does a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Cant complain about a 30 year old rifle.

The 522 Viper gets about 100fps better thru the chrony, but wont tighten up over 50 yards
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Rocket, were cci rounds and rem vipers
  6. Rocket J Squirl

The two rifles were a Marlin 60 and a Remington 522 Viper

the rounds were CCI Stingers
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I do not shoot any hyper velocity ammo out of any rifle, anymore, because I like to actually hit what I am shooting at.

I sometimes shoot such ammo out of a very short barrel pistol (like a Beretta 21a or Jennings J22) at a target 21 feet or closer on public ranges. The bullet bases often blow open and make a hole like a .38 wadcutter. Most other shooters can not believe you are shooting a .22.

Otherwise, I consider hyper velocity to have few useful purposes.
  8. Rocket J Squirl

I like them so much, Im selling off the 100 other rounds I have and buying nothing but stingers.
  9. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

The Stingers and Velocitors are such nasty characters, I'd get a new gun before I gave up the ammo.

An example of what your talking about is. My Winchester 9422 is one ragged hole out to 125 yards and I couldn't get my marlin 39 to group them worth a darn. The Marlin is gone.
  10. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Bullet bases going to .38 caliber upon exiting the barrel???
    For crying out loud,.

I shoot stingers all the time, one of the better long range rounds produced for the .22. I take crows out to 150 yards on a regular basis.

As a matter of fact I have a Ruger 77/22 with a 1/18twist designed to only shoot Stingers and if so be it, the chamber can be cut down for shorts and it will be a short range and very quite gun.

Less ALKA-SELZER will reduce foaming at the mouth.