Stock finish poll

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cpttango30, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Stock Finish

Poll closed Dec 5, 2012.
  1. Polyacrylic satin

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Oil Polyurathane Semi-Gloss

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Deft Lacquer Gloss

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Deft Lacquer in semi-gloss/ Other...

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

So I just finished staining my stock for my 25-06. The action has been scrubbed clean of 50 or so years of grit and grime. The barrel is all polished up with 600 gr emery cloth. Now I need to finish the stock. I have a few options... As a note this is not a hunting rifle this is a target rifle that will see range use only.

Polyacrylic in a satin finish.

Oil polyurethane in semi-gloss.

Deft Spray Lacquer in semi gloss or gloss.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  2. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

i redid a model remington 788 with linseed oil and finished it off with tung oil. really brought out the grain and still looks just as good after 15 years. no gloss finish though.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I want a durable finish that needs little to no upkeep. Linseed and tung oil are nasty and don't produce the kind of finish I am looking for.
  4. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Active Member

got any before and after pics??
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would opt for the oil based poly. Take your time with it, light coats and sanding in between each coat. 5 or 6 coats should have it looking great. ( and a week + of time ;))
  6. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I used a water based lacquer from Target Coating http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/products/EmTech_6000_Production_Lacquer_Gloss_1Gal-268-32.html It is very easy to apply, (cheap air brush from Harbor Freight) very durable, and easy to repair if you get it dinged up. I used the satin instead of the gloss.
    I have finished two stocks with this method, and if the occasion arises, will use it again. As a matter of fact I am in the process of finishing two chess boards for Christmas presents with it.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  7. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

Bama, nice job on that stock.

Tru-oil gets my vote.
    ( I guess i'm just an old school fool, but it's ok, I've been this way a long time)
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I use Tru-Oil for the stocks I redo.
    Mike
  10. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Read an article where a guy used automotive Clearcoat as a finish
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

+1 for the tru oil finish, looks good, esay to apply and most importantly it is easy to repair. If you intend to shoot a rifle you will at some point scuff the finish; tung oil and tru oil are the easiest finishes to touch up that I have found.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Never did like Tru oil. Just me never did like it.

I picked up some semi gloss polycrylic at Lowes last night. So far I got 3 coats with a light wet sanding in between to fill the pours of the wood. Should be done if 3 to 4 coats more.

I did the polycrylic because it doesn't stink washes up with water and works. I am doing this in the house while the wife is at work so it needs to be kept on the DL (Down Low). For some reason she doesn't like me doing this in the kitchen not sure why.....
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

One of the reasons to finish the stock is to reduce moisture changes to the wood. Fine Woodworking magazine did a test some years back where they tested a number of different finishes to see which one resisted moisture the best. In a nutshell; boiled linseed oil was the best, over marine epoxy, lacquer, poly, and conversion varnish.

Personally I think the best stock finish available is Tru-Oil. You can apply by hand, you can spray with an airbrush, you can steel wool it, you can polish it, etc. It's also infinitely repairable. Water based coatings are probably the worst for moisture prevention.
  14. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

another vote for tru-oil. I took my crusty looking win 94 back to beauty with it. 6 coats so far and I may do a few more this winter
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

First this gun is not going to be a hunting gun it weighs in at 12.5# it is a bench gun. So moister control is far from my mind. It is in a safe with a golden rod and is more of a show piece than anything. That and the stock is 40+ years old at the youngest.

I have used try oil before and have never cared for it. I would be spray finishing this with lacquer if it wasn't December. That and I wanted to try something different. If I don't like it I will strip it and start over.
  16. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Active Member

Looking forward to seeing the finished product
  17. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Here are a few shots of a Mossberg stock I did.

Here is how it looked when I got it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

Spar urethane is the best for durability and unlike Polycrilic , it has UV inhibitors in it . Automotive clearcoat turns milky after a while and is a PITA to strip and redo . comes in Gloss and Satin too !
  19. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

OK not liking this paint on stuff at all. I am going to strip and start from scratch.
  20. ozo

ozo Active Member

I knew that was coming.....