Stoeger 22 cal Luger

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jwm57, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jwm57

jwm57 New Member

Pardon me if this new thread is redundant to an old one, I'm new here and haven't gotten the hang of the thread search. I see some threads regarding the Stoeger (parabellum) 9mm (Eagle?), but none on the 22 cal.

As I understand it Luger licensed Stoeger (in the '20s, I think) to make the 22 cal (I think Stoeger imported the 9mm, so it is rarer). I remember seeing the ads in my Stoeger catalogs in the late forties and early fifties - always wanted one but couldn't afford it (I got my Iver Johnson .22 in 1953 when NJ laws allowed me to buy a hand gun - paid about $15).

I am not a collector, I'd like to have a .22 Luger in good firing condition to go to the local range and come back to pistol shooting (haven't fired one in thirty odd years). I love the mechanicals and the look of it - and I believe it is well balanced for informal target shooting. Can anyone suggest a source?

Best, Jon

PS, I am going to make another thread post regarding the Springfield model of 1842 musket - this I have.
  2. jwm57

jwm57 New Member

Oops, just noticed I posted this on Center Fire - wasn't aware of the navigation to Forums.

Best, Jon
  3. lead

lead Active Member

Jon, welcome from a guy who used to live around Asbury Park.
    I've owned a couple of the Stoeger Lugers in .22 and enjoyed them. Your best bet would be to look at the online auctions, like AuctionArms, or Gunbroker. They are for sale there quite often. You might also look for the .22 Lugers made by Erma, a German company.
    They used to be cheap, around $120-150. Most go over $200 now, but what isn't getting more expensive?
    Being in N.J. your first step should be to line up a dealer that will recieve it for you. Anyone selling on the auctions will only ship to an FFL(a licensed gunstore, or pawn shop). Check and make sure you have one near you that will recieve for you and won't charge an arm and a leg to do it.
    Then bid what you can afford on the auctions.
    I don't think these Lugers have been made since the 70's or 80's, but most you see out there are still in good shape and alot of fun to shoot.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

On gunsamerica, the cheapest one is sold by J&G Sales @ $289.95.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

might try attending gunshows, aint sure of how they work things in jersey, they have one here in texas about twice a month... i frequent them quite often and see all sorts of things you dont see on the everyday market. most of the time you can find it at a fraction of what you would get it for any other way. plus gun shows are quite fun and educational in a gun-enthusiasts sort of way...
  6. lead

lead Active Member

Wow, I haven't priced these in awhile. I looked on Gunbroker and Stoegers were around $300, Ermas were $50-100 higher. I've got to get out more.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I'm surprised that Stoeger Lugers are selling for that much. Shooters on other forums have low opinions of these .22 guns. I've run across two in my life and neither would work reliably.

I guess quality control was spotty with these guns. Some good, some bad.
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I think it's because they aren't made anymore and are fairly hard to acquire anymore...or the fact that it's a Luger.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

The Erma 'Baby Luger', offered in .22LR, and .380ACP was and is a better built pistol, IMHO, though intolerant of 'dry fireing', and prone to shatter firing pins, in such circumstance, as I recall.
    Online sources may provide what you seek; If I was serious about finding one, I'd be walking the aisles of every gun show I could get to, with cash enough to cover the purchase, hopefully, a lot more cash!
    The reason for the 'lot more' is fairly simple; in your pursuit of that one pistol your heart is set upon, you may well be exposed to several other arms you really 'need', but had not yet realised that you needed!
    I've got enough guns, but, two months ago, at a local show, looking for rifle sights, I stumbled over a Detonics Combat Master, blued, in the (*Early) pouch, with all the original paperwork, and apparently unfired, for $500!
    Now, I already own several, but none, this fresh, and the price was TOO CHEAP; what else is there to do, but provide it a good home?
    Walk the shows, and you'll find the Stoeger, sooner or later, and, likely, a lot more stuff you did not know you needed, until you saw it!
    Happy Hunting!
  10. gene

gene New Member

ok newbe here and i have a luger 22 by stoeger would like more info on it
  11. RaulManny

RaulManny New Member

I just got one .22 LR Stoeger Luger, I'll like to get an owner's manual (at leats copied or scanned). Can any one help? On-line I got a diagram (exploded view)
    Thanks!
  12. RaulManny

RaulManny New Member

13. rblueduck11

rblueduck11 New Member

Hi Jon, I have a really nice Stoger Luger 22cal in 95%+ condition I would be willing to sell you for a fair price. It would have to go to a local gun or pawn shop in your area first of course. Email me if you are interested. You can check my feedback on *********.com if you wish. I am Mr.speedy there.
    Rick
  14. jwm57

jwm57 New Member

As I did with my post on the musket I apologize for not following up here, I had a leg amputated not long after the post and have been a bit busy putting things together. Will follow up soon.

Best, Jon
  15. Pasadena jim

Pasadena jim New Member

I have one do you want it faxed or scanned?
    Pasadena Jim