Stoeger "Cougar"

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rich Cronk, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk New Member

I am considering a Stoeger Cougar in .45acp for my next carry gun. Anyone here have experience with this gun?
  2. triplebike

triplebike New Member

My 8000 was absolutely flawless. It never ever had a malfunction of any kind. Over 2000 rds of every brand & type of ammo. I have no doubt that The 8045 will be the same since it's identical except for the caliber. I have the 8045 on layaway, will be picking it up next month. For a carry piece it's a little heavy & fairly wide but if you can live with those two, you can't go wrong.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk New Member

Thanks for the reply Triplebike! :) Reliability is my first concern, and it sounds like the Cougar calms that concern fairly well. How was the trigger pull on yours when firing in single action mode?
  4. group17

group17 New Member

Love my Cougar 8000
    Really reliable fun to shoot pistol. A little large for a carry gun (IMO) but smaller than the Beretta 92. The silver finished model is my favorite.
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Rich,

Welcome aboard from another Iowa member...There are more of us here....

Regards, Kirk
  6. triplebike

triplebike New Member

The trigger smoothed out quite nicely after about 500 rds. It's not the best or the worst trigger out there. I am a bit partial to the Beretta designed triggers ( have a 92FS as well). It's way better than my CZ 75B's trigger (with same rd count). You will not go wrong with any of the Stoeger Cougars. They are extremely well designed & their price point is just ridiculously low.
  7. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk New Member

---------------------------------
    TripleBike,

I too have a 92fs. The action is very smooth, but the trigger is very rough. I know that the various 1911's I have carried just spoiled me, but it seems to me as though a company like Beretta could smooth up the sear before they release their pistols for sale to general public. I like the double action idea because it makes that first shot a bit quicker for the average guy. I am wondering if the trigger pull on a Stoeger Cougar can be lightened with a weaker main spring like you can do with a 92fs.
  8. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk New Member

---------------------------
    Thanks for the welcome Kirk! :) How is the coyote population in your neck of the woods? I am a caller, so coyotes are almost always on my mind. :D
  9. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

The Cougar Roars, dependable, accurate and easy to shoot. Have a compact 9mm 13 round