Stoger 22 cal luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JCF68, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JCF68

JCF68 New Member

I have a Stoger 22 LR cal automatic Luger, the original box, instruction manual and 3 clips. what is it worth? I don't believe Stoger exists anymore
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I remember this pistol. Thats crazy they are worth that much. I guess because you don't see too mny of them. Nice boomerang guy Jack404 by the way.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In my experience, $500 would be high even LNIB. They usually run around $250 in good condtion and there is not a lot of collector interest, even as part of a general Luger collection.

Jim
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, Stoeger trademarked the name "Luger" back in the 1920's when they were the U.S. importer for the German pistol, which is why they could use the name on that .22 they sold.

Jim
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I agree with Jim K that $250 is closer to the true price than the $499 in the ad that Jack mentioned.
  7. JCF68

JCF68 New Member

Great replies! $ I am not ready to sell this. $250 is higher than what I paid. Now I am trying to find a Gunsmith in MA that know about a Stoeger.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It has been quite a while since I last played with the above firearm, I had numerous problems and was later found out that they well not well thought of in the firearm field.
  9. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

:yeahthat:

I worked on one with feeding issues for a friend back in the early 90's and was not impressed with the "gun inside of the gun" design that made for many small stamped parts, mouse trap springs, roll pins ect....,and a some what soft alloy frame. Lots of compromises incorperated to get it in the luger shaped "shell" built around it. Bad JuJu IMHO....:p

Kirk
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They are a POS; Stoeger wanted to capitalize on the Luger name (which they owned) around the time Interarms was bringing in Mauser-made Luger repros. But Mauser could not use the Luger name (and in fact the original gun was never called that by its makers, and the name was never marked on the guns), so Stoeger decided to put it on something that vaguely resembled a "real" Luger and make a few bucks.

Jim
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It grieves me to think of how many trusting buyers have been deceived into thinking they were buying some kind of a Luger, and of how much hard earned money has been sucked down the drain by this piece of junk.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The really deceptive part is that they WERE buying a Luger, the only post-war pistol that could legally and properly be advertised and marked as a Luger. Aren't laws neat?

Jim
  13. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The Stoger was a stamped sheet metal hand gun. I never owned an Erma Luger but they were cute little .22s and .380s. They were castings but did look like a Luger. The Stogers go for around $250 at the gun shows.
  14. dvdne

dvdne New Member

I have one of these and it is better as a paper weight than a punker that I bought it for. I got it new still have the box and all paperwork. I have followed the blogs to get mine to run right, 1 a good cleaning disassemble the firing block and clean the grooves real good, I polished mine and the contact rails that they ride in and on, 2 shim the retractor spring with a dimes thickness of the bic ink tube, this does 2 things improves the bite on retraction and ( this took a few hundred rounds since my gun was new to notice the firing block was hitting low) brings the firing block closer to where it should be, 3 file the follower front to a slope ( with your thumb hold the follower and file until the file touches the front of the magazine and the top of the magazine do not file the magazine only on the nylon follower) That Point on the Nylon was causing the retractor to loose grip and Snag casings would not pull out or they would stove pipe. After doing these things I got 2 clean mags to run. This gun needs a good oiling to operate even just one or two days cause problems. Must Be 40grain 1240 speed. good ammo for it is hard to find, and have patience because the ammo that works one day dose not always run well the next, the ammo perimeters above are a good starting point I have tried many verities, its a cool gun but not even close to my Ruger MK III, im about ready to buy the deck stand for it, I will think on this.... good luck !!! the guy with the trigger issue, I will help you with what I know.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  15. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Unfortunately, Stoeger Lugers can be found at most gun shows, and often they are outrageously priced in the $400 category. I remember one I saw, supposedly "NIB" with a Stoeger Luger holster priced at $900! So many novice buyers fall prey and are cheated out of their hard earned cash by what appear to be nice pistols and are duped and/or confused by the respected name of "Luger." Oh well, there a lot of other clunkers offered for sale. The name "Sterling" is one that comes to mind. How about you pros coming up with other guns that also fool newcomers?