1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

STORIES NEEDED

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (7/11/01 12:13:48 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    STORIES NEEDED
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been looking at the Memories section and it seems to be bogged down. Understand it's summer and all but....
    it would be nice if anyone who's been in Vietnam could pass on a story about something they did, something that happened, or anything relevant.

I was speaking to a friend who is still flying and we were talking about the cost of things. It brought back a memory since we were talking about helicopter rotor blades. As a matter of course, we'd carry several rolls of tape with us during our missions. We called the tape "100 mile an hour tape". We used it to patch holes that would happen in the blades from either rounds or shrapnel. The key was to wrap the blade with the hole and wrap the opposit blade in the same location so as to maintain balance. It was amazing how one small hole in a rotor blade could cause such an imbalance. Cost of a set of rotor blades in 1968....+/- $10K
    Current cost of a set of rotor blades for a huey $45K. Cost of a set of rotor blades for a UH-60 Blackhawk $400K.

If you have a story.......an experience, a happening, a description of some of your duties in Vietnam, please share them. We need to spice up the memories section!! Thanks.

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 2:39:32 pm)
    | Del Re: STORIES NEEDED
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok dap.... how are those????

(I am trying to not be so long winded with them)

out

dap22
    (7/11/01 2:59:37 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: STORIES NEEDED
    excellent Mithrandir! Would you be interested in commenting on the POW issue in the Fire for Effect section??

Edited by: dap22 at: 7/11/01 4:16:58 pm

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 4:09:44 pm)
    maybe tomorrow... my first cursory look at ....is causing heart problems...

out....

dap22
    (7/11/01 6:05:36 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: STORIES NEEDED
    Roger that........comment when you feel like it. And for anyone else for that matter, kindly comment on the POW issue in Fire for Effect. Thanks.

hope6970
    (7/29/01 9:29:25 pm)
    Dave, you mean a person with all of your Nam experiences is asking for stories? I bet if you were to sit down and start writing you could write them non-stop for hours. You carried an MOS that very few or none on the board had. Your memories would be an education in themselves to quite a few people.