storing cartridges in fire resistant safe

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Do any of you put your reloads in a fireresistant safe that you put your guns in? Do you see any problem with doing that? It would seem a relatively safe place. I dont know what the "flash point is for gunpowder and primers but I would assume its more than 350 degrees.
  2. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

i store my powder and primers and surplus ammo in a small fire safe. i keep the safe out in a garage where the temperature routinely gets to 95-100. I imagine if the safe can keep 1000 degree heat at bay, then 100 degrees in a garage is nothing. I'd love to hear what the others on this forum say.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im kinda interested myself, im wondering what the tempature that ammo cooks off is
  4. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I store my reloads with my guns/cleaning supplies all in the same safe. My uncle is a rice farmer, one time he was checking something in one of his fields and left his truck running. The dead rice stubble and grass underneath his engine caught fire and eventually his entire truck went up in flames. He had an old .223 in the back seat with ammo. The rounds didn't start going off until the rifle and ammo were in the flames. The way I see it, a fire retardant safe will do a great job of protecting whatever is inside it during a fire according to what that particular safe is rated.
  5. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Powder and primers should be kept seperate, but.. in a safe I thing would be okay. Black powder is a different story. It should be kept in a weak box or cabinet, so as to blow out in case of accidental ignition.as an explosive, If contained,and a static spark or lightning or something was to occur, youve got a real problem. In a safe, would probably become a powerful bomb.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not I.

I do not store my firearms collection and ammo together. I also keep my loaded ammo, smokeless powder, primers and BP stored apart and in different locations.
  7. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Do not store powder in a safe. This is a major explosion hazard for firefighters. You do not want to kill a fireman. Neither ammo nor primers present the explosion hazard of powder.

Powder and primers do not need to be kept separate.

If you have room in your safe there is no reason not to store ammo in it.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Don't know squat about fire proof safes, but I can tell ya that if you throw ammo into a fire it takes a minute for the rds. to get hot enough to go off!
  9. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Thanks Suwannee, I appreciate that.:D
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

And another thing, don't store powder in your house if there is any way to avoid it. And keep it away from children. My cousin set up an accident with gasoline where a child was burned to death. Not good. Don't set up an accident with powder where a child is burned to death. Children may not have brains enough not to put a match to something like that. I know. I have the burn scars to prove it.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

+1

Same here.
  12. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member