stovepipe

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Mr.publicservant, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Mr.publicservant

Mr.publicservant New Member

i own a springfield G.I. champion with a new trigger and ambi-safety installed. everything else is stock

my gun stovepipes quite a bit and i just finished reading the sticky about reliability. it malfunctions on several different types of ammo. the casing also shows a flat spot after ejection, on every single casing. also the rounds may not feed the first round properly. I'm not sure if i need to just polish and round the sharp edges or if i need to do all of the things recommended in the sticky. any help would be appreciated.
  2. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I would try polishing the feed ramp, may not be the problem and I am no pro by any means...but I would give it a try. Someone that will know better will be on the way shortly

Welcome to TFF :)
  3. Mr.publicservant

thank you. it is appreciated. i will probably start with polishing and go from there. the malfunctions are so constant that i just shoot my glock 22 now and leave the 1911 at home.
  4. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Ohhhh....that would not be happening.....I would have that thing fixed before I shot anything else.....:) Sorry, I'm not a big fan of glocks :p
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Stovepipes are often caused by limp-wristing. That is the ejected case gets caught in the ejection port as the slide returns to battery.

Polishing the feedramp will improve feeding. Roundball ammo usually is the most reliable feeding.

Having a gunsmith lower the ejection port & check the extractor & ejecter, might help also. Springfields are usually pretty good out of the box. You might try talking to their Service Dept.
    Good Luck :)
  6. Mr.publicservant

well, i can tell you its not limp wristing.

so i should start with polishing and lowering the ejection port? will rounding the inside of the ejection port make any difference or will i have to take off part of the bottom portion? i dont know if this will help or not, but when the cases eject they come straight back. thank god for shooting glasses.

so the ejection port being too high will cause the flat spot in the ejected casing?

i like 1911's more than glocks too, mostly for the trigger pull, IMO they are equally reliable. glocks are just ugly piles of plastic and metal.
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Easy (and inexpensive) test is to ask someone else fam with 1911's to shoot it. If it's a hardware problem, it will become evident as they shoot and the problems remain. If they don't encounter the problems you mentioned, you'll know that you might have to spend a little time checking out your technique.
    As a rule, most '11's don't eject the spent brass back in your face. Sounds like a timing problem, but I'm just a janitor, not a gunsmith!
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The problem that you are experiencing is either the extractor or the ejector face needs to be reangled. The pistol should throw the case up and to the right of the ejection port. A good pistolsmith should be able to reface and adjust them and fix your problem in minutes.

Also, mil spec guns usually only like hardball ammo as that is what JMB designed the gun for. There is no need to lower the ejection port and case denting is known to happen in mil spec guns.

To check the extractor, remove the slide from the pistol and take a case or round and slide it under the extractor on the slide. The extractor should just barely hold onto the round loosely. If it is tight, then remove the extractor from the slide and bend it until the round is held loosely. If it is too loose and falls from the slide then bend in the oposite direction until it holds the round loosely. The extractor needs the end angle adjusted so it throws the case up and to the right.

IPT
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  9. Mr.publicservant

i checked the extractor and it does just barely hold the round in place. i was told this is bad because the round will move too much while being ejected and cause the case to eject random.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

What brand mags are you using ???
  11. Mr.publicservant

wilson combat 10rd.

stock mag spring is shot i dont use it anymore.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my springfield 1911-A1 doesnt have any of the problems mentioned above. pretty much everything mentioned in the sticky has been done to my pistol. i also shoot with a worn-out magazine with out problems (yet). i used to have a llama minimax that smashed one side of the casemouth in, i believe it is because it slams into the side of the unaltered ejection port. but thats just my opinion, i still have a whole lot to learn before you can consider me an expert:)
  13. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I would still try a different magazine. I had a Champion I bought new in '94 and it stove-piped all the time with the factory mag. New mags fixed it.