1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Strange But True

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 5:46:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Strange But True
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My only wish here is that I would have liked to have had more of the pics I took when In Country but then the last time I got my a$$ waxed it was a good one and I was medivaced out with my gear left behind.

In any case I thought I would touch on a few things throughout this topic of some of the stranger things one observed over there. I am sure that some of the vets will have observed the same and some may have even yet seen stranger than I but when you think about these things it is in fact strange ... however true.

Picture this: You have your boots on (the kind that are somewhat high top) and they are indeed secure on your gun boats (feet) and their laced tight all the way to the tippy top. Now let me ask you a question here....Do you think you would be able to pull them off?

Saw a guy step on a box mine once and it left a hole in his boot about an inch and a half in diameter right at the area of the ankle. Absolutely no foot, ankle, shin or blood. Nothing...Nada....Zip and the lacing was untouched. Poof! Gone in an instant and not even a lace out of sync. Strange but True

Bugs and Things: Saw some really strange insects over there and a can of your household Raid would not hold a candle to these liitle (and big) jewels. What amazes me more than their appearnce and demeanor was the fact that we used to sleep with these things at times. Leeches and centipedes that were well over 8" long. What bugged me the most about the leeches was not that the little fellers would get down in my boots or hitch a ride....Most annoying part of it was when I raised my canteen to my lips for a big ole' drink (it was always hot and you were always thirsty) of paddy water and came up with one tryin to work his way down the kids throat here. Kinda irritated me yet it taught me another valuable lesson whenever I needed a refill from the paddies, streams and rivers. Strange but True

Ya'll have a good evening .... Six

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 6:59:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Strange But True
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's crazy!! But so - interesting! Life works very wierd doesn't it..... some things you just can't even begin to explain and some things, ya don't want to.

But, uh, the bug thing.... strange thing here... that grosses me out more than anything you could ever tell me............... I cannot stand the things.... truly.... truly... HATE 'EM.

Always Faithful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 7:45:06 pm)
    Know what ya mean there Winter. I ain't all that crazy bout 'em myself but at the time I had no choice (as others did as well) but to live with it.

I'd rather lay there in the paddy water cuddled up with a Bamboo Viper then to get nervous and jump up and start runnin' only to get popped by an AK47. Best way to take on the enemy is ya gotta get down and dirty. Live like they do ... to the "T" if necessary

Regards to you and Nick and as always ..... Semper Fi! Six

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 8:34:45 pm)
    You know.... when you put it that way.... I'd learn to love 'em too!!!

Oh, and, okay, I'm gonna say this cause... well... I'm a cheese ball at heart... I love it when you say that to me.... Semper Fi.... it just means so much to me. I know, I know, I'm completely silly, but everytime I read it, after you type it, I can't help but smile!! :) Thanks Six!!

And.... I'll give Nick your regards.... he reads the posts... he enjoys them immensly, but for some reason I can't get him to post anything. Maybe some day... and if anywhere it'll probably be over at Battlerifles.... I know he liked it over there! Knew a lot more about it than I did... but, I'm learnin'! As always!

Always Faithful

haggai69
    (4/2/02 10:07:20 am)
    I have to agree with the bugs. Nothing seems to freak me out like a really big nasty bug. I like to pretend that they don't bother me, but I'm the first to go screaming when a spider enters the room.
    I don't mind reptiles though.. so the snakes would have been okay. If I had a gun in my hand and an 8" milipede/centipede/bug crossed my path, I hate to think what I would do.
    Remember Sigourney Weaver in Aliens... same basic concept.

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 3:57:54 pm)
    Up top I was tellin' ya how on various occassions I would raise my canteen to get a big ole' drink of paddy and stream water only to have a leech or two try and make his way down the ole' pipe. We used to get water from anywhere and at any time we could.....

[​IMG]

Half the time we were so thirsty and dry from burning up in the hot and humid jungle terrain that we would'nt even wait for the halizone (water purification tabs) to dissolve. Tabs gave it a "nasty" taste but at least it was wet.

haggai69
    (4/5/02 10:31:21 am)
    the picture makes it look like routine to fill up your canteen in the stream with a 50lb ruck on your back. I would have been face down trying to get back up... provided I could even lift the pack.
    I've been victim of the occaisional fly in the mouth (or maybe the fly was the victim), but I can't imagine the feeling of a wiggly leech trying to make it's way down my throat. But I guess if you're thirsty...