Strange call just came in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Mar 13, 2009.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I received a call at 06:00 this morning. Because of the situation with FIL, I answered. However the answering machine had picked up and I had to wait for my short announcement to be finished before I could hear the caller.

The caller then said "If you accept this call, press 1." I pressed 1, expecting to hear FirstInLine so be speaking to me. The recorded voice on the other end then said, "Your pin number is 2359" This was repeated 4 more times and the call then disconnected.

I sat there in bemusement for about 2 minutes and the phone rang again. I immediately answered and the recorded voice said "This is Ebay calling. If you accept this call, press 3." I did not press 3.

There have been no further calls.

I called Ebay customer service and reported this activity. The gentleman who answered had not heard of this particular activity, but was pretty sure it was an attempt at a scam.

I've checked my bank accounts and see no activity there. I checked my ebay account and see no activity there.

Hmmmmmmmm :confused:

Pops
  2. durk

durk New Member

You were probably charged something for accepting the first call (phone bill?)
  3. It sure sounds like a scam, Pops. Consider though, you did not disclose any information to the scammer. Obviously, he already had a phone number, or it was a random dial program. Either way, there was no input from you side other than pressing a key on the phone. That would have told them, at most, that the number dialed was a valid number with a live human on the other end. The second call, had you responded, would likely have asked you to input personal information. Surprisingly, people do fall for that kind of crud.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I am expecting a charge to show up for the first call, yes. I'm working on that, now, but am not having much luck until the offices open up here on the west side.

I suspect your are right, Pistolenschutze. I might have had some fun with the caller, had I accepted the second one, but I wasn't in the mood. I was awake last night until about 02:00, so I'm a little groggy, just now, but not THAT befuddled.

Pops
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I haven't had a "wake up every 5 minutes in a cold sweat" night for some time, but last night was one. Usually I can remember what triggers such a night, but I can't think of anything just now.

Pops
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It may or may not be an issue over there but we have had a series of EBay scams. One for example the seller having been told a payment had been made into his account when it had not.

I know nothing of EBay and dont use it, but for those that do, watch out.
  7. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Aaahhh, the full moon!
  8. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I use eBay quite a bit and have never had a phone call like that. You were correct, though, in calling eBay and letting them know. I have never had any trouble with them or any of their systems. When I suspect a scam I love to have them call and I use an air horn on 'em. It certainly gets their attention!
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Weird! It's the spooks trying to recruit you I bet. :D

I've been scammed on eBay before, eBay and PayPal were a good combination. It was frustrating but I didn't lose a penny!
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The spooks recruited me about 50 years ago. They told me about 10 years ago that I am now on call up, rather than regular check-in.

Pops
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Do you have caller ID?
    If so, what was the #?

I have heard of some "off shore" (or something like that) place that can charge some outrageous amount per minute. Hope it wasn't one of those.
  12. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

OK POPS it was me and that number is your pass word to get into the Bubba Special Ops meetings down here in the southeast :D

No It wasn't me just pulling your leg a little. Ron
  13. Pops, I trust you have dusted off your trusty martini shaker and cleaned your PPK. Oh, and do be careful about "coming in from the cold." :D;):p Just kidding! Just kidding!!! :D
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

PPK? ... The first "issued" handgun after saying I was interested was a 1917. I am not a Brit. I can handle it. :D

(Just pokin' at ya, a little, Tranter. :D )

Pops
  15. By chance was it brand new and with a low serial number Pops???? ::::::ducking into bunker, closing lid:::::: :D;):p
  16. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Black Powder wasn't it?
  17. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

18. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The piece was still warm from the assembly line. I had to pry the 'smith's hands off of it. :D

Thanks, 1shot. I'll take a look and report back.

Pops
  19. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

1shot, that might be relevant. I just got the highspeed ISP installed, so my connection was coming from another DNY than usual.

However, when I called ebay customer service to report it, he was pretty confident that it was a scam attempt, as I don't sell on ebay and don't have a seller's account set up with them.

Pops
  20. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

You might want to check your account everyday and make sure all your credit cards and debit cards and all that crap is still there