Strange handgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DMoore, Sep 2, 2006.

1. DMoore

DMoore New Member

Does anyone have an idea what this is? (A friend sent me pic.) It is probably at least 75 years old.

Attached Files:

2. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I don't know what is that I'm sorry, but I have some old GUNS magazines from the lates 70's and at the end of every article, they used to print a small silhoutte of the gun you are postin. I always wondered if this gun really existed. Thanks for dissipating my doubts. Now, if only somebody could tell us what exactly is..
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Looks like what's known as a "Velo Dog" type revolver.....most likely made in Belgium.

From OldGuns.net:

".......your revolver is what is commonly known as a Velo-Dog. These were widely sold as self-defense guns for bicyclists starting in the 1890s. In those days, cyclists on their velocipedes were highly likely to be set upon by large and fierce dogs. Velo-Dog revolvers were designed for defensive use against dogs, the term 'Velo-Dog' is a combination of the words 'Velocipede' and 'Dog'. Original Velo-Dog revolvers were chambered for a special cartridge, the 5.5mm Veldodog which was less powerful than a .22 Long Rifle. The Veldodog cartridge was long and thin, loaded with a 45 grain jacketed bullet. Soft hearted animal lovers could purchase cartridges loaded with cayenne pepper and dust shot. In later years more effective revolvers chambered for .22 and 6.35mm ACP cartridges were also available."