1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Strange letter from the Army

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam686, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Adam686

Adam686 New Member

I got a letter in the mail Friday from the army that has had me really confused the last couple days. To give you some history I pre-enlisted in the Army when I was in my senior year of high school back in 99'. I went to basic in July the next year and finished my 3 year commitment in 2003. I have been in the inactive reserve since then and this July I will be totally out. Now back to the letter I received. The letter stated that they have reviewed my status and determined that I need to apply for a "secret" security clearance, I have 30 days to respond.

What do you guys think this means? Is this the first sign that I am going to get called up from reserve? My MOS does not need a security clearance and I didn't have one throughout my active career. I know there are a lot of military guys on this forum so I hope someone here has an idea of what this letter really means. This war was the reason I got out of the army and I have no interest in going right back into it. However if I am called back into service I will not try to shirk off my duty, I know our guys over there need some help even if I don't agree with the war. There is no greater way to support our troops than to fight alongside them.
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Sounds like a serious pay raise to me!!!!!
  3. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

That type of letter would be generally saying that they do not require your further services. You would get a letter requiring an update physical if they were trying to pull you back in.
  4. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

A security clearance reflect possible assignments and missions. If the Army is thinking they might need people of your MOS in an area or for a job which requires the clearance then they are thinking ahead.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Should be a contact number on there some place, call and ask.
  6. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Some other new form of "back-door draft?" I know they're desperate for more troops, burning out the ones they have with serial redeployments, etc., and have recently lowered eligibility requirements to take in more. They know it'd be political suicide (and possibly cause major upheaval) to institute a draft during an unpopular war, so they're trying everything.
  7. Adam686

Adam686 New Member

Thanks for your replies guys. I called the Army HR number and had them check on it for me and they immediately realized it was a "glitch in the system". They said I can go ahead and shred it. I worried myself about nothing.
  8. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Usually that is what happens. When we did the second invasion, i was getting monthly letters that said, "Get ready to pack and leave!" and i called them monthly to "update their system" since i was a disabled veteran (disabled for combat that is) and unable to go. They'd apologize for the mistake, make all sorts of promises to update their records on me and sure enough, next month comes around...
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Better to have nothing to worry about rather than Something! :D

I acquired a "Secret Security Clearance" in the Navy, when I learned to Transfer Weapons at Sea, during Underway Replenishment. It got me no extra $$:( And when I transferred to Navigation Division, the clearance was pulled. :(
  10. Not to worry Adam. When the armed MPs show up at your front door, just go quietly and remember: spring is a very nice time of the year at Ft. Levenworth, Kansas. :D ;) :p

Seriously, it sounds like you just had a typical dealing-with-the-U.S.-Army-experience. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Your last name ain't "FONDA" by any chance is it..???
  12. Adam686

Adam686 New Member

:) no not quite. While quite a few people agree with this war(Iraq) I think most people do not. Afghanistan was justified but Iraq, please. With the same logic we used to invade Iraq we should also be at war with several other countries including N Korea(technically we still are but you know what I mean) and Iran. And anticipating that the same logic would be used I decided to leave the Army (Plus my wife would never have let me re-up) :D .
  13. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I must assume by your knoweledge of war that you, like myself, are a combat veteran...

Even given that, we stil are at an 180' difference in our opinions on this current war in Iraq.

Had W not pulled the trigger 4 years ago yesterday,

We would be looking at two, count em two, Islamic morons faces in the news ...Sadam & Amenadajad......

Ah.... "Jim Jones" kool aid maker for the masses.......:D
  14. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

If naiivity were a crime, you'd be on death row, my gun loving friend.

Your logic is flawed. Your history is bad. Your memory is selective. Perhaps when I'm feeling better (flu), I'll show you the error of your ways.
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I know that war is hell, but Sadam was firing on US troops almost every day before W said enough is enough. It is apparent that your not one of the ones that he was firing upon. Not to mention the other 17 UN resolutions that he was violating, not that I'm a fan of the UN.

Attached Files: