Stripper clips... I hope this isn't X rated!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

OK.. time for pics! Note, empty stripper "CLIP". Stacked stripper "CLIP" and the stripper "CLIP" in place in the bolt carrier. There is a set of notches milled in the carrier to receive the "CLIP" once in place... push the stack down into the "MAGAZINE"
    So... Did we get the terms straight? :rolleyes:
    Just a side note here.. My Type 56 SKS does not hold on to the stripper clip in the magazine like an M-1 Garand will with the EnBloc "CLIPS"... so I don't get the cool "Piong!" sound when final round empties.:mad:

Attached Files:

2. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Well I reckon that covers BOTH market segments ie military and civilian:D
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Yup got in one. Talk to or read some old WWII vets accounts of that "pong"- it means you are reloading in the middle of a firefight sooo the enemy pours on the fire and may even "rush" your position to overrun it while you are reloading. The WWII and Korean vets figured that one out quick. They kept and extra "empty clip and Ponged in to the ground while STILL having ammo left and when the enemy tried to rush them while They thought the GI were out of ammo- well they never made the mistake again because they were dead.:D
  4. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I've heard that.. carrying an empty one to make the "point" sound, it when they in fact have full magazines... kinda sneaky!
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

In combat your are either sneaky AND quick or you are DEAD. There is only one rule IMO the survial of your squad (the men and women you serve with) and maintaining SOME modicum of humanity after the fighting is over. The last is the hardest to do afterall you have taken human life. Some may have actually got to liken that concept. That is were sanity leaves you and you become an animal not human. OR you feel so bad about butchering the people you kill when you come "home" you do not want to be around people any more. Lot of fellas and lady combat veterans are homeless in part for that feeling.:(
  6. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I also have heard that from some who were fortunate enough to return from Europe. I bet who ever figured that out saved thousands of lives (and costing and untold amount of German casualities)
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, guys, that business about the "ping" of the M1 clip is nonsense, apparently concocted by some armchair general. The idea that a clip noise could be heard over the sound of battle, that the enemy soldier would then charge the American whose rifle is empty, etc. is ridiculous! Are they alone on a silent battlefield?

FWIW, even I (1950's draftee) can reload an M1 long before an enemy soldier could take his first steps, and those WWII vets were really fast. I watched one load a fresh clip almost before the empty one hit the ground.

So, please don't spread that silly old story any further.

And on an SKS, you don't wait until the ten rounds are fired for the "ping". Just strip the rounds into the magazine and the slingshot the bolt carrier handle and you will hear a very satisfactory ping. (No, you don't pull the clip out after stripping the rounds, any more than you do with a Mauser or an M1903 Springfield; the bolt moving forward kicks the clip out and away.)

Jim
  8. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Jim K, you just made me stop and think:eek:... And I rarely stop to think too long... Darn ADD...:bleh:
    So if I understand you correctly, when the bolt / carrier locks back after last round ejection (talking about the type 56 SKS) ... I understand, one puts said full stripper clip in the cool notches of the carrier... and push the stack of bullets down into the box mag...
    But your not suppose to pull the silly clip out? :confused:(that would have been my assumption) so just pull back the charging handle and the closing of the bolt will expel the stripper clip?
    Now.. won't this damage the stripper clip? Or will the stripper clip be reusable?
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Shawn
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those SKS clips are pretty tough and will last for many cycles. If you, an American civilian, in peacetime, on a range, choose to remove a stripper clip manually, you can certainly do so. But in combat, clips (of all kinds) are expendable and no one would take the time to carefully remove and preserve them.

Jim
  10. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Wow.. See what happens to "permanently disqualified from all branches of services" simpletons like me.. we loose out on some interesting experiences and education! I would have never thought of leaving the silly thing in place and just re-racking the bolt after charging the mag well.
    Thanks for the info.
  11. Sylvicapra

Sylvicapra New Member

Having owned two Simonov rifles along with many of those clips. I don't ever recall having a rust problem with the clips. I simply stored them in a dry environment along the ammunition.
  12. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

I STAND CORRECTED:rolleyes: I have fired the M-1 on the range and come to think about it there was not too much sound when the clip ejected, But that was a loooooog time ago with a NG unit I was in Utah at Toole Army Depot while going to college on the GI Bill.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I will add to the general statement that a stripper clip is popped out when the bolt is pushed or moves forward. That is true in general, but one gun for which it is not true is the Russian M-N and the autoloaders that use that clip. Those clips have to be taken out manually; they cannot be pushed out by the bolt.

Jim
  14. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

SKS???
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The SKS clip pops out when the bolt carrier goes home. My #28 referred to the Mosin-Nagant bolt action rifle and carbine, and to the AVS 36, SVT 38 and SVT 40, all of which use the same ammunition, 7.62x54R, and the same clip. The SKS uses the 7.62x39 cartridge and a different clip. The AK47 magazine cannot be loaded while in the rifle.

Jim