stuck bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I was shooting today and got a reloaded bullet stuck in the center of my barrel it was a pain in the butt to get out.The only thing I can think of is maybe I didnt get powder in one and the primer pushed the bullet down in the barrel not having enough umph to push it out.Has anyone ever done this?
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Push it out with a rod from the breach.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is called a squib, and that is most likely what happened. My father taught me to do the powder in the same step. When I use my single stage press, I have one loading block with 50 empty pieces of brass ready to be filled on the left side on my hopper, and another block that is empty on the right side of the hopper. Then, as I powder each round, I put it into the empty block on the other side of the hopper. Once they are all filled, they get the once over flashlight check over looking for no charge, or a double charge. Once I confirm that, I continue on. Some think I am too cautious, but it works for me. Hope that helps.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. JohnRich

JohnRich New Member

Just be REAL careful not to have something odd like that happen, and then go ahead and shoot another round behind it. That would blow up the barrel, and possibly blow your face off. You always want to be extra cautious if something doesn't sound right when you pull the trigger, and stop and check everything before shooting again. Good on you for not making this minor inconvenience into something disastrous.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I weigh every round I reload on my digital scale. This is my final quality check and should avoid this ever happeing. It only takes a few minutes to do this.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What I have had happen is the flash hole get blocked by a clump of liquid polish and corn cob media used in the tumbler cleaning process. The bullet went about halfway down the barrel and stopped. My teenage son (this was over 20 years ago) was smart enough to stop and come and get me. If he had shot another round who knows what might have happened.

Weighing each round will only be a measure (yes/no) if there is any powder in the reloaded cases. Because of the case weight differences (especially between different brands of brass) you can not really determine the exact weight of the charge. But I have used that technique and it most certainly tells you if there is powder in the case. Shaking the case close to your ear you can feel and/or hear the powder moving in the case verses no powder at all unless the load is a compressed load (I have no compressed loads in any of my 30+ different cartridges that I reload for).

LDBennett
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I use the loading block, and the primed brass as a guage. Once the brass has been sized, belled, the next step is primers. As I prime the brass it goes into the loading block primer up, all unprimed brass is primer hole down. Once every case in the loading block is primed I'm looking at all 50 primers up. As I add powder the cases are set back into the loading block. When all 50 cases have powder I just look into them, as I have a light mounted right over the table. Once I have double checked the brass for powder, I start adding bullets. I can walk away from my reloading bench at any time, come back at any time, and pick up right where I left off. I have made one load with no powder, that was back in 1982, or 83. This system works for me, and I have taught it to others also.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is also a great way to ensure a squib or a double charge.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How do you figure that? If the case is primer up, there is no powder in it. If it is up there is powder in it. A visual inspection with the light will reveal the powder lever in each, and every case.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My experience on a single stage press is limited to 50BMG but here is my take on how to not squib or double load:

I get the cases all cleaned, sized and primed in a bulk way. Then I take one case at a time, weight the powder in the digital scale pan (I add one LEE scoop at a time to get it up to 220 grains), then add the scale pan of powder via a funnel to the case. I immediately take the case already in hand and seat a bullet in it. There is absolutely minimum chance of an error. It works for me.

I never did like the idea of loading blocks as they leave the possibility of a reloading error and in fact I don't own any. But of course I have a progressive Dillon for all my other cartridge's reloading.

But we all get to choose, good or bad, when it comes to reloading. I always choose for safe reloading.

LDBennett
  11. murphy's law

murphy's law New Member

I had a squib once..... it taught me to be more careful when loading and avoid distractions. I now (on my 550B) peek into every case as it goes by station #2 and before placing a bullet on top in station #3. You know the old saying, you "can't" be too careful.
  12. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We had a guy stick five bullets in his 686 last week before he realized something was wrong. Unfortunately he bulged his barrel and now has it off to Smith and Wesson for a new one. His problem was that he loaded the wrong powder charge--1.5 gr. of Bullseye in a .38 Special case and that simply wasn't enough oomph to clear the muzzle. Oops.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Are you loading Progressive???

Wow, obviously this guy needs to become a TFF member and experience a little reloader hazing from the members here before he does something that foolish again!!!!:AR15firing:
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't understand that statement either. How is what carver is doing going to cause a squib or a double charge?? I do the exact thing when I am reloading except I use a small flashlight to look into the cases.

I had several squibs once when I started using a LEE progressive press. Never before that time and never since I got rid of that press. That is the only piece of Lee equipment that I will not recommend.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  15. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have reloaded for 5 years or so now. I have officially had 2 squib loads. Both 9mm both in the same gun. I am very good about checking everything but obviously not perfect, something I need to correct if I don't want to hurt myself or someone. I tend to not let others shoot my reloads for this exact reason. I need to pick up a rod to push them out when it happens - having to leave a range to get it out sucks!!!