stuck bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

hope thats my last.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've only had one squib load, .44 Mag, and I just cut a stick form a near by tree, and pushed it out with that. Metal is too hard, and might damage the crown on your barrel, wood is soft, and won't harm that crown.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Never a squib or double charge in thirty years until last month. I have always used the primer up/primer down, like Carver, one case at a time under the powder measure and weighing every tenth round. Well I saw a add with Larry Potterfield reloading some rounds using the loading block with several rounds primer down and holding the whole thing under the powder measure and going down the line putting in powder. Hmmm, that looks like it would be faster. So I loaded some .45acp that way and then placed the bullets on top and seated them. I FORGOT to do the visual check. So next time at the range Murphy and his law and my carelessness added up and when firing the first mag. Pfffst -- a squib and a bullet stuck. Poked it out and fired again, Pfffst -- another squib. I stopped and when back home pulled those bullets. There were three more without powder totally five, I had missed one row in the loading block. Now if I had done the visual check as I should have I would have caught it but it just goes to show how things can so easily go bad. I am back to the old one case at a time with primer up/primer down and hopefully it will be thirty more years with out a problem.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have removed squibs with blanks. Those pesky little .22 cal colibri rounds that aguila makes for example. sometimes they wont shoot clear of a rifle barrel. when someone brings me one to get out I just use a .22 cal nailgun blank and shoot it into the dirt. Mainly because I dont want to risk damage to the bore using anything to 'drive' the bullet out.. Now, multiple squibs.. Different story. Id prolly just scrap the barrel and install a new one.
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Well, I'd go insane loading from a single stage after running two Dillons for 20 years. If you follow good visual inspection techniques you can load 500 rph with one. Never had a squib load.

Many years ago I read about Brian Enos's practice regime and he hired three high school kids to run three Dillon presses every afternoon, which he shot off the next day in practice. He shot enough that he wore out two or three 1911's a year. Never heard of a problem.

If you aren't meticulous Mr. Murphy will bite you where the sun don't shine, that's for sure!
  6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I've done it once in my early days of reloading. Lesson learned! Always check each case before seating the bullet. I use a turret and have a light mounted so I can easily see in the case before I place the bullet for seating. BTW, at least in my experience, weighing a loaded pistol cartridge is not a sure-fire way to ensure you don't have a load without powder or with a double charge. There is too much variability in the weight of individual components. Look in every charged case and be absolutely sure.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'll probably jinx myself now :banghead: cuz we all know how that little jinx fairy is. I have never had a squib or double charge. I am very anal while charging and seating bullets tho. Every case gets a look into before I top it with a bullet, every one.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Only had one sqib load in 40+ years of reloading. Early on, I used to seat my primers one-at-a-time in my RCBS press. I found that my first process of lubeing the case with my fingers for sizeing, then moving right on to picking up the primer with my lube-coated fingers and seating it in the case was a BAD IDEA. The sizer goo killed the primer so I just got a "pfft" and no "bang".

That was very early on when I first started reloading. I now de-cap the cases, lube and size them, trim and tumble clean the cases. Before reloading the cases, each one gets a primer pocket clean-out, and any media in the flash holes gets knocked out.

I load in batches of 50 in loading blocks. I use a light to verify that each and every case is charged before I start seating bullets. No sqibs ever since.
  9. renegadederrick

renegadederrick Former Guest

I haven't been reloading for long, but the way I do it is I have 2 reloading blocks that I use. I place them in different places on my bench depending on the stage I am at in my reloading process. If I am using the press, I have my cases that need to get done on the left side of my press & the cases that are done on the right side. Also when I grab the cases I grab them from a side to side move & when they are completed I put them back in a top to bottom move. So you can see what has been done & what hasn't. When I use the powder measure I do the same as the press but just around the powder measure. Also I check the cases for level when my powder charge process have been completed.
  10. BDJ

BDJ Member

Had my first stuck bullet last week, my reload.

I think I short stroked the press, but not sure.
  11. RockyMtnDan

RockyMtnDan New Member

"I weigh every round I reload on my digital scale. This is my final quality check and should avoid this ever happeing. It only takes a few minutes to do this."

If your are relaoding range brass for a pistol with a charge weight of 5 gr. the differece in the brass weight between manufactures can mask the low powder charge. Most of my brass is Winchester but it is mixed with other brands that I have scrounged at the range. When I had a squib in a .40 last month I able to determine that the remainder of the Winchester cases I had loaded were at the correct charge with a scale but I also had 4 other types of brass in the mix and had to pull 2 dozen bullets because the weights were not consistant with the Win brass.

BTW: To remove the bullet I wrapped the barrel in leather, clamped it in my bench vise and tapped the bullet out with the largest punch that would fit down the barrel. Since the bullet had only traveled 1/3 of the way I drove it back from the barrel end out the breach.
  12. Archie

Archie Member

Squib load rod for pistols:

Most of the big hardware stores sell brass rod. I prefer threaded brass rod. Brass is softer than steel and the threading makes it just a bit more malleable. 5/16ths OD threaded brass rod will work nicely for anything in the .36 caliber range up to .45 caliber. I presume it might work for .50 as well. But if I had a .50 anything, I'd probably get something closer to 7/16ths inch.

I also have a 3/16ths for .22 caliber pistols.

If you have to stick a bullet in a bore, lead bullets are easier to remove than jacketed.

If the weapon is a revolver, hold the weapon by the barrel, not the frame. Frames can be bent 'just enough' easier than commonly thought.
  13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I have only had 1 squib. .45ACP. 230g cast RN only goes a couple inches with just the primer. I have a 2 piece guide rod and thats what I used to push it back down. Now, that bullet, with a hex head indention in the nose, sits in plain site as I reload as a constant reminder. I charge, look, and then seat the bullet. Apparently I missed those first 2 steps.
  14. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

The ones I have say "for pistol only" on the box...I wondered if they'd clear a longer barrel

howlnmad you have one coming, you should have never mentioned it.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have shot the super colibris from a .22 rifle, but the barrel has to be 19" or shorter. Theyll clear my 19" marlin 60 and my 19" rem 5 but not my dads or FILs 22" marlin 60s. they get stuck at the muzzle.
  16. langenc

langenc Member

Im getting ready to load some rifle rounds. I check the cases w/ flashlight, twice, before seating the bullets.

Not possible to double a good rifle load as most are 85% or more full of powder. Double will have powder running all over everything.