stuck case problems in AR-15

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by EDD, Mar 10, 2011.

1. EDD

EDD New Member

I am new here and this is my first post, hopefully I will start with enough info. about my issue. I have been reloading for several years, many calibers for bolt guns and pistol. I just started loading for my Rock River AR-15. I use a small base die for sizing, load 10X or TAC powder, and use a several different bullets. The problem that I am have is that after 10-20 shots I get a live round that will not completely chamber and gets stuck. As I am shooting I notice that I start to get a white residue that builds up on the spent cases (the more i shoot the more residue) until one sticks. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF EDD, got a few ??? for you and then hopefully we can get to the bottom of this problem for ya:

1 - how many reloads on the cases and what is your trim dimension? thinking that it might be a short case and not sealing the chamber well enough. Are there any streaks to the "white residue".

2 - what type of case lube are you using and what are you using to clean it off the cases?

3 - Did you have a problem with FL resizing and then go to the SB dies?

4 - got any pics?

5 - have you got any headspace guages available? I'd like to know what is going on with the chamber dimesions when this problem occurs. Also, have you checked the loaded cases with a case guage?

Hope this will help narrow it down. Glad ya found us and hope you'll enjoy and post up !! Got some great folks here and some great donations that are given away each month for those that contribute to the forum. ( min of 50 posts; easy ! )

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. woolleyworm

also, how many rounds have you put through your RR prior to using handloads? Have you had any fail to extract after firing?
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

You are in good hands with wolleyworm. I was going to put my two cents in, but I just didn't know. I have had issues with my AR-15, but mine were caused by using cheap steel cased ammo.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

EDD:

About all that I can think of is you may not be removing the case lube as woolleyworm suggested??

The RCBS lube you put on a pad and roll the cases on is water soluble. I use a damp cloth to wipe down each cartridge just reloaded then roll them on a dry towel to dry them. This is after bullet seating and crimping.

There is nothing in the powder that leaves a white residue that I am aware of (??). My son-in-law was shooting some surplus 308 ammo that had a sealant around the case to bullet junction. It gummed up his H&K style fluted chamber. PTR (PTR-91 H&K 91 clone rifle) warned not to use that surplus ammo but he didn't read the included notice. There is nothing I can think of that would generate a white powder unless it is case lube not removed from the finished cartridges.

LDBennett
  6. EDD

EDD New Member

Almost all of the cases once or twice fired. I checked the headspace (or had it checked) and was good. All cases are trimmed to 1.751. The firearm has about 500-600 rounds fired mostly factory ammo and never steel cases. This takes me to the lube issue, the first thing I thought of was lube heating up and coating the chamber. The last time this happend I cleaned the gun several times with different cleaners Hopps, Sweets, Butches and even brake cleaner. This may have been overkill but I wanted to be sure I had any residue out of the chamber. I took 40 rounds of the ammo and sprayed it with rem oil and let it sit for about 15 min then went to wipe all that off. the cases looked and felt very nice but the same thing happend 15 rounds into the next session.
    I use 3 types of lube RCBS and the pad, Hornady, Lyman
    I never used standard die always SB for this since in the past I would pick up some range brass
  7. EDD

EDD New Member

I dont use all the lube at the same time, just what I have on hand at the time. The only fail to feed/eject is when this white stuff starts to appear. Stuck live round scare me.
  8. LDBennett

The RCBS lube is water soluble and it is water that should be used to remove it.

My AR has no trouble feeding my hand loads and the chamber is a match type chamber on a Lothar Walther heavy match barrel. I do NOT use a small base sizing die and I do NOT use any range pick-up brass. But none of this is relevant to your problem.

LDBennett
  9. EDD

EDD New Member

I dont use range brass anymore. I think you guys are right on about the case lube/. I have cleaned it up again and will use a wet cloth to clean the next test batch of ammo. I have a standard die and will try some loaded with that since I am shooting all my own brass now and it will last a little longer by not over working it. Thanks for your input.
  10. madbuck22

madbuck22 Member

i don't know much or anything yet about reloading, however there might be something else going wrong. have u ckecked your mags to weak of spring. if so streach it or the way the chamber was machined can make alot of difference and so on...... does the brass on the one that jams get dented and where. more info the better maybe i can help someone for once instead of everyone else helping me. ifeel i'm becoming part of the family here.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Sums up the problem, You are using a penetrating oil on you ammo!!! Penetrating oil does just that, what you wipe off is only the excess oil on the surface, the oil penetrates the porus casing and re-surfaces when heated, your are experiencing hydraulic lock.
  12. EDD

EDD New Member

312... Good point. I only did this on the last 40 I tested but wont do it again. It sounds like I may have only make the problem worse with the last batch. There are 2 things I will change.
  13. LDBennett

In general you never want oil in the chamber of a gun or on the cartridge case. They must be dry for the case to grip the walls of the chamber during firing of the cartridge. If there is oil there then the forces on the bolt head increase significantly as the case is allowed to slide back against the bolt. The case would not absorbing any of the force by friction against the wall of the chamber. It is very hard on the gun and might cause serious problems.

There are some guns that will not operate without the cases being lubricated but not any commercially available today. The military designs that did required oiled cases eventually were changed somehow (grooves in the chamber of the H&K 91, for example). I know of no current guns, military or commercial, that require lubricated cases.

LDBennett
  14. EDD

EDD New Member

Thanks. I have quite a bit of new brass and will load up some for this weekend. Sized, loaded and wiped with a wet cloth. I will also take some factory rounds. If it happens again I will know that there is a gun issue and not a cartridge issue. If this works I am not looking forward to the bullet pulling party but I will not run any of the old stuff thru the gun again. Thanks for all your input.
  15. woolleyworm

I don't think you'll have to pull the bullets, if you give them a light wipe with a cloth that is slightly damp with rubbing alcohol I think that would suffice. Not certain how that would work, but I would try it before pulling a few hundred bullets. We'll see what results you get at the range and go from there.

Anyone else think the alcohol wipe down would work, if this is the problem?