Stuck case question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sparks1, Nov 21, 2009.

1. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

I reloaded some .308 once fired Military brass for a friend's DPMS .308 for deer season. All brass trimmed to proper length and full length sized (shoulder set back .003").
    He had a few that chambered but could not extract. Had to use a cleaning rod to free the stuck round from the chamber. (Not a great idea, but field expedient according to him.)
    Any ideas as to the solution? Should I use a SB .308 die for his AR-10? I thought a semi-auto chamber would be somewhat larger than ,say a bolt gun, and thought full length re-sizing would be sufficient. I do use a SB die for my AR-15 because I had the same problem with it.
  2. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

Thought so...thanks. Just wondered if there was something else I should be looking at.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You're right in that a semi will usually have a slightly larger cut chamber than a bolt gun in the same caliber. On firing, this will allow the case to expand a bit larger than usual.

Also because a semi has just a spring pushing the action closed/locked (with a bit less force than what you can close the action on a bolt gun by hand. Plus you've got the camming action of the bolt lugs to help with chambering that last bit too) and things are happening much faster, resizing with a small-base die will help the case slide back into the chamber the next time around.
    You found this out on your AR...and I'm sure your friend's AR-10 is no different.