stuck case

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Road America, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Road America

Road America Member

Thanks for all the ideas and sorry for not responding sooner. I couldn't find my post - thought it was in the technical questions page. Maybe it got moved or I just forgot where I put it. I got the decapper out but the case is still stuck. I'll try the freezer trick first. I have an old Herters die I could use, but those Redding dies are real nice and I'd like to save it if I can.
    Jim S.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

You can save it, do not do anything that will harm the die. If you can't get it out without damage to the die, send it to Redding.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

any results back yet?

so far plenty of non destructive ways have been posted.. hopefully one or more of them will produce positive results.
  4. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

The brass breaking in half (case seperation) may be from case stretch. Excessive headspace, when FL sizing.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

This should be a easy fix now you have the decapping rod out of the way. Take a fresh casing to a local hardware store, home depot etc and match up a dowel rod to the diameter of the case mouth. Cut a piece of dowel 10" or so place it down the inside of the die so it contacts the stuck case mouth and tap away. Maybe follow Steves idea first with some freezing and tap it out. No damage to the die should result.