STUCK CASE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by AR guy, Nov 19, 2012.

1. AR guy

AR guy Member

hey i got a stuck case in the decapping die how do i get it out?
  2. zant

zant Member

What brand die is it stuck in??If RCBS,take off top lock nut and screw shaft down and shell will follow..
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Start by putting it in the freezer. Then toss the "spray" lube in the trash.
  4. AR guy

AR guy Member

It's a lyman .223 die. When I pulled the ram down it ripped out of the shell and is sticking out bout a .25 inch.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

RCBS makes a Stuck Case Removal Tool that works like a champ. It's universal and will work with any brand of dies. It's widely available at many other places like Cabelas & Amazon, but I got mine from Midway. It's even on sale currently!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504741/rcbs-stuck-case-remover

Every reloader will need one of these tools sooner or later. It took me 30 years to have my first stuck case. The tool popped it out in a jiffy. :cool:
  6. AR guy

AR guy Member

I went to the two local gun shops and they didn't have it. So I looked at the link pic that snakedriver gave me and went to sears and pieced it together for 10$. Good deal and when I got home the shell popped right out. Thanks snakedriver.
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Plus you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Glad to hear you got it out. As you discovered, the kit doesn't contain anything too special, it just brings it all together to make it easy. Now that you've figured out the parts, you will have them for the future. 5.56/.223's are kind'a funny! Too much lube and you get denting in the case shoulder or not enough and you get a stuck case. The one I got stuck after 30 years of reloading was a .223 too.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. AR guy

AR guy Member

Yeah I made my own kit and put it away for my next stuck case. Thanks.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never had a stuck case that I can remember. I already have all the parts shown, with the exception of the thing that says RCBS (to the left of the allen wrench and screw). What is the purpose of that particular piece and how is it used?
  10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That sleeve is what you stick the bolt through to thread into the back of the newly drilled & threaded stuck casing. It rests on the lip of the die and by turning the bolt into the threads it gently pulls the stuck case back into the sleeve. A short socket of the appropriate size with a sturdy fender washer on the back to hold the bolt head will accomplish the same thing without the special RCBS sleeve. :cool:

ETA: The short socket size to be used just needs to have an inside dimension that is greater than the diameter of the stuck case to be removed, so that it can be drawn back inside the socket as the bolt withdraws it.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

All right, thanks for clearing that up for me. Now if I ever have an stuck caase and can remember this thread, I will know how to get one out. A couple of years ago, my neighbor told me that he got one stuck and got it out by heating up the die with a propane torch and using a pair of pliers to pull it out.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i just used the rcbs kit a day ago.. :)

stuck a 222rem case in a pacific die set..

drill, tap, extract.. just like the paper said it would.

good 9$ investment...