Stuck !!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

STUCK

Before our road was paved in 1983 it was a red clay quagmire when wet. Over the years I probably pulled out in excess of 200
    vehicles. Just about all the stuck drivers tried to tell me how to pull them out. I rarely listened because usually their

method would just slide vehicle down the ditch and scuff up the side. I had developed my own technique to pull end of car up
    onto road then pull them on out.

One muddy morning BJ was taking kids to highway to meet their ride to school. Got stuck on way home and I had to take tractor
    to pull her out. My little 135 Massey Ferguson was almost out of fuel so I got a tractor that belonged to a farmer who had
    bought my corn crop in the field. His Massey ferguson 175 was larger than mine and had 400 pounds of weights on front end.

Later that morning I had to pull out two more cars. Just about dark my friend Pete Johnson came walking up to house. He and

his elderly father had gotten stuck about two miles up the road. I got MF 175 and went up there. Went to back up toward car

to hook up chain. Tractor started sliding backwards. I put into forward gear to no avail. I slid four feet backwards with

tires clawing forward. Right into the ditch just ahead of the car. I could move up and down ditch but weight on front end

held fron axle so that it could not exit ditch.

Two mile walk home in the dark to get my Datsun truck and come-a-long, returned to scene and attached chain to stump across

the road and started pumping on come-a-long handle. Stump came out of ground covered in fireants. Tried to turn Datsun around

to go back home and Datsun slid into ditch. Now we have Pete's car, farmer's tractor and my Datsun all in the same ditch two

miles from home. Another two mile walk. Got little MF 135 and all the chains I could find and hoped I had enough fuel to

make it there and back. Stopped well before getting near disaster area and got all chain stretched out to reach MF 175.

Pulled out MF 175 and quickly shut down the MF 135 to save fuel. Got all the chains laid out and pulled everything out. By

this time it was almost 11 PM when we got home, muddy as hogs. We still call that area "Johnson's Hole" for Pete Johnson.

I REALLY MISS ALL THAT CRAP !!!!
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont want to hyjack your thread Bob, but I come from a history of 4 wheeling and mud racing. Being stuck and pulling folks out was just something we always did so this story hits home. I used to go to a bluegrass festival in dade city florida at a place called sertoma youth ranch about 2-3 times a year for several days at a time. I play bluegrass so I never missed a festival if I could help it. Down in the back part of the ranch, it was low land, and the motor homes would park back there but when there was alot of rain, it got muddy back there and many motor homes found themselves stuck. I always was there in my 4 wheel drive ford with a 460 ci and 410 running gear and would end up pulling motor homes out all around the campground. What a way to make friends! We had so much fun at those festivals. We played music all night around the campfire and didnt sleep much. Those festivals still happen every year but my days of sleeping on the ground are over with. Sorry if I hyjacked your thread Bob, you brought back memories of something we did for almost 20 years straight. Those were the good ole days.
  3. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Worst I was ever stuck was after I retired I took my JD 450-B Crawler/loader to do some dozer work for a friend. It fell into an underground spring and sank to the seat cushions. Took a Log skidder to lift it out
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

As a teen I used to hang around the autobody/auto repair/ tow company that was the only one in the small Kansas farm town that I grew up in. Many a time I would go along with Jerry, the guy who owned and operated the place, and he always accepted unpaid help especially on tow calls as the caller would NEVER tell him exactly what he was getting into...it was usually way worse than what they would say on the phone. From bulldozers slowly sinking into a creek because the operator ran them low on fuel and got them at an angle where they couldn't pick up any diesel to pull themselves out, to multi-car accidents during ice storms. I loved the challenge, and when my father in law and brother in law decided to start up a towing service up in the San Joaquin valley years ago, they asked me to come in as the "recovery" guy. From drunks who drove their cars off the road and into the big irrigation canals that ferry water down from high in the mountains (ice cold) to people that crashed and flipped their trucks upside down in cattle feed lots trying to outrun Johnny Law, you never knew what a call would end up being for, or how long it would take.
    One time I went out to a call at the local lake for a truck, stuck in the sand. When I arrived, I found a virtual train of vehicles stuck that they had tried to pull the original "stuckee" out with. The 4wd truck was stuck at the waters edge with a jetski trailer on it, then a 2wd truck about 20' on up, then a compact car that they had hooked on to the 2wd in another misguided attempt. While I was out testing the sand to see how far out I could go in our 2 1/2 ton wrecker, one of the gentlemen attached himself to me and started advising me on the best way to get them unstuck. I just nodded my head and gave him a "uh huh" and went about my business laying out extension cables and such, as I wasn't about to venture out on the sand bar. Finally after about ten minutes or so he asked me "How much is this going to cost us?"

"I charge $80 an hour for recovery work...$100 if you try to help."

He went back to the truck and left me alone for the rest of the time I was there...
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So what year and make was your Ford. It sounds nice.
  6. 76Highboy

Gabob, great story.
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

like we didn't see this question coming :rolleyes:

back 15 years ago in NE Illinois I had an 80 K20 that was built for work, not play. it had 31" BFG Trail TA's which are not designed for thick mud. my brother was in a model airplane club and up at the flying field someone lost a plane back in the large mud hole area off to the south of the developed field. I offered to take my ATV up there and do a search and rescue. while I was out slopping it up I heard my truck start and a few minutes later it was being revved up. uh-oh, this can't be good. I get back and he had it buried up to the axles in thick heavy sticky mud because he wanted to help and figured it was 4x4 it would make it. his father in law came to pull it out with his OJ Simpson style Bronco with city tires. since my truck was a good 60 yds into the bad stuff he declined. not enough strap to keep him on solid ground and he didn't want to get it messy. finally a friend of a guy there came with his 74 Blazer with a 454 and 38" swampers came to help. we hooked him up to my 6"x40' strap and I told him to give it all he had. my bumper and strap could take anything. 2 violent yanks and I was out. my brother spent the rest of the day cleaning both of our trucks in his driveway and swore to never go offroad in anything bigger than an ATV
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When I was young all most all the roads were dirt, and most of them were red clay. Getting stuck was normal! We hunted in the back woods where most folks couldn't get to, and that meant making your own road, as it were. Tire chains, axes, saws, come-a-longs, chains, ropes, and bumper jacks were essential, along with the knowledge of how, and when, to use each one of these tools. I don't really miss those days of struggling in the mud to get a stuck vehicle out, but I do miss those days of hunting in areas where no one else could get to! I had a motorcycle accident back in '65 that resulted in a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula. I spent the next 380 days in a cast. A cast that the Dr. had to keep replacing because I liked to hunt, and that usually meant getting in the water! I tell the motorcycle story to show just how much I liked to hunt the inaccessible, and unhunted places! Back then you used what you had, today you spend thousands of dollars to buy an ATV, and all the inaccessible places are no longer inaccessible!
  9. Double D

It was a 78 step side I put a 460 in. It had 36 inch tires and was a pulling machine. Actually had a 411 rear and a 410 front and a gear drive transfer case. I miss that truck. We had many, many, mud trucks.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  10. 76Highboy

That step side was a rocket with that 460. What was your best mudder?
  11. Double D

We built a few old broncos with small blocks pushing big horse power and running 3/4 ton running gear. I would say probably the red white and blue bronco. It was a screamer. We ran 44 inch gumbo mudders on it. My brother took an old ford van and moved the steering wheel to the center of the van and then we mounted a 429 ci big block in middle of the van behind the driver and ran header pipes straight up thru the roof. It was only 2 wheel drive and we ran it in the 2 wheel drive class. We had a 66 ford body and frame mounted on top of a 76 f-250 4x4 frame and running gear. The top of the truck was almost 9 feet tall. It had 44s on it as well. Maybe I can dig out some pictures or get my brother to send me some. I would have to take pictures of pictures and post them.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We get quite a few Euro Tourists in rental campers and I've pulled over a dozen outta ditches with my old pwr strk, 4 wheel low gets just about anything out.

I remember one guy from Switzerland, his ole girl was hollarin up a storm at him over backing camper over the hill. Later he told me she was actually scared about being eatin by a bear in the camper, in that ditch, kinda funny. The guy was so shook up, my 10 year old kid had to get in the drivers seat when I pulled it out with chain, ha ha. Just city people that never drove much I guess.
  13. 76Highboy

Your my kind of guy Dan. Pics are a must.:D
  14. Double D

I dug up a few oldies and I am really sorry for the quality. The silver stepside is the one I told you about. The pics are hard to see. The last one is the 66 if I remember right.

Attached Files:

15. Double D

Here are a few more. I will see if my brother will send me some more. We had a bunch more. My brothers favorites were the old 70s broncos. This is the center engine 2 wheel drive van with a 429 ci.

Attached Files:

16. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Some nice pics of the trucks, but since DD didn't include any "buried" pics I'll throw one in.

Dad's usual words to whoever is heading out to the field is "Now don't get stuck".
    Well, this was his turn! :D Not 10 minutes after he left the yard everything got real quiet. I couldn't hear the tractor running so I popped over the hill to see what was up. He's still getting grief about his famous last words coming back to haunt him. :)

I don't have any stuck truck pics but we've had some real doozies over the years out playing. Most of the time we were too busy cussing and slopping ropes around to bother picking up a camera...
    -My 76 F150 (3" lift & running 32s) buried to the frame 20' from dry land after making it 100yds through a slopped out slough bottom.
    -A friend's 79 F150 about 50' behind mine and a 78 Power Wagon right beside it in the same slough. All three up to the frame...
    -My Nissan D21 laying on it's side in a snowbank...there was a 2' deep washout underneath the foot of powder I was busting through.
    The list is long but those two are the ones that I'll never forget.

Attached Files:

17. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm diggin that Econoline DD!
  18. geds

geds New Member

One of my more embarrassed getting stuck incidents was working for GA Power north of Rome. I got the differential of a 4x4 F-250 stuck on a stump. No mud, beautiful day, had to walk out of the woods about a mile and get a farmer to bring a tractor back in to pull the truck off the stump. Trying to explain to your boss how you got the truck stuck when nothing was wet was tough!
  19. 76Highboy

In the peak of my four wheeling days I had a few friends that it seemed I could call any night of the week and we would go mudding and 4 wheeling. We didn't care if we stayed out all night and went to work the next day. We were young and full of energy. Our thought was when you went out you tried to find the worst stuck situation. It did not matter what you drove. It could be a Ford or a Dodge or a Chevy, or anything,,, but there was usually carnage.

Dan, I like that 78' stepside (I think it is a 78'). I have had a thought for a long time in the back of my mind to shorten my frame and stick a step side on my F-250. I have a Dana 70HD for the rear that I will be putting a Spicer track lock in and want to put a Dana 60 up front with an OX locker. If I did that, and with the 460, and made it a short bed it would be an awesome machine. I have seen the frames shortened and I know it can be done, so now I just have to make up my mind. It sure is tempting. What are your thoughts Dan. I like all of those old trucks that you had, esp. the old 66.

This is a good thread.:D
  20. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I have a f250 superduty with a snow plow and my first year plowing I was going to plow a drive.We had about 8 inches of snow and you couldnt tell where the drive was and when i pulled in I drove straight in the ditch.Embarrassing so now all my accounts have to put reflectors out before the first snow