stun gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terminator, Nov 19, 2011.

1. terminator

terminator Member

Wife and I have had three encounters with aggressive dogs while on our nightly walks. Stun gun or pepper spray what do you guys suggest?
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Pepper.
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

firearm.
  4. gad1111

gad1111 Member

Pepper, longer range
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

firearm, +1

i've seen that pepper fog go back and gas everyone , the police dogs did not seem that effected

the cops not wearing gas gear where ( Honiara , the Solomon islands peace keeping stint )

tazer and its down .. but close is always more risky
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  6. HunterAlpha1

plus, the firearm doesn't have to be lethal. a .410 loaded with rocksalt will do the trick. i know, i was shot with some when i was a kid, taking a shortcut across someone's lawn.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

A firearm is a firearm even if loaded with rock salt. Discharging one is an area where it is against the law will still get you cited.
    I've been told that just the sound of a stun gun will turn dogs.
  8. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Of those two options - baseball bat.
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Pepper if it has to be one of the two. Just have to watch the wind. Try and stun gun my dog and he would eat it.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Think about a hiking staff! Make it, or buy it. The staff needs to be as tall as you are, that way you can't fall on it, and hurt yourself. If you are 5'10" tall, that would be the reach of the staff. Most dogs won't run under an object held out over them, so that is where things start. The staff is a great defensive weapon when in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Works great for animals, and people alike. When I know that I will be going some place where I can't take a firearm, I always have at least a walking stick with me. They never fail to fire, the wind can't blow it back in your face. If you know what you are doing with one you can stop a threat, cripple it, or kill it!
  13. HunterAlpha1

another option would be an expandable baton. you can carry it in your pocket or on your belt and they are lethal when employed properly.
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

have seen pepper spray ignored by many large dogs..especally pit bull and mixes.
    watched vidios of police using stun guns..againg about 50 - 50..now tasers are diffrent..as long as the wires are intact it will stop a big dog even a small bear. the trick is to keep shocking it till it decides its had enough..sometimes 3-4 hits. and remember you have to have a solid hit with the barbs to have that ability. so my vote is any gun caliber begining with at least a 4 and having at least 2 didgits...that being said a attacking dog is the same as a perp bent on harming you..for dogs file a report with the police then if it continues shoot to kill..just my 2 cents...
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

pepper spray doesn't affect dogs like it does humans. Dogs have a third eyelid that helps to protect the eyes from the affects of pepper spray. It might make their nose burn but, if they are pissed to begin with it is only going to make them even more pissed.

Take a firearm or a big ass machete. You never know when zombies are going to attack.