The Firearms Forum banner

Stupid Enfield question?????

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
Both my Enfields have what looks like a small lanyard ring in front of the magazine on the mag well....on the MkIII it's a little offset, on the No4 it's centered, but both around the same size....

What was it intended for?

I can't figure it out, especially why they would waste the effort machining it during wartime.....:rolleyes:

G
#2 ·
My Mark 4 has one also, Polish, and I too have wondered about it. As you suggest, it must have had some purpose or they wouldn't have bothered with it on a wartime production rifle. The only thing I can think of is that it might have been used to string the rifles together using light wire or twine when the rifles were stored in arsenal or perhaps during shipping in crates. Yet, the ring really seems a bit too small for something like that.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's about the only reason I could come up with too, but then it's so small and thin, even thinner than the lanyard ring on my .45, it wouldn't secure it very well....the cord or cable would have to be REALLY thin....and why wouldn't they just run it through the trigger guard like everybody ELSE?;)

I ALSO thought that maybe they had some way of using it to safely secure the magazine to the rifle during handling or storage so it wouldn't get lost, but couldn't find a corresponding hole or ring on the magazine.....

#8 · (Edited)
Polishshooter said:
Pretty Please?
How's THAT....:p
That works:p It is a middle sling swivel mount.
How the company worked was out of a batch of rifles the factory took the ones that shot exceptionally accurate. Sent them of to a factory to be made into Sniper versions. One of the upgrades that company did was put a little mount on the tin front of the magazine for a middle sling swivel. Then the company got into contact with the Enfield plants and aranged for them to put them on all rifles. To save time at the Sniper shop. It was used when a sniper is crawling prone his sling doesn't end up being the death of him draggin and snaggin on the ground.
Their was only 23,000 Snipers made.

#9 ·
HHhmmmm....conflicting stories....;)

Did they make No1 MkIII SMLE snipers? Because they have them too....(at least my Ishy 2A SMLE does, but it's offset a little..I can't remember if my 1916 had one years ago....)

Now it just might be for a swivel on the No 4, but on the SMLE I would buy the mag retainer too....but HOW would they attach the chain to the mag???? Unless maybe they just silver soldered it to the mag, and it would break off?

But I also think I have seen some No 4s in pics with a sling swivel there too...so that probably DOES explain it on the No 4...

#11 ·
Wow, Southern, I didn't know that, thanks...

And BTW, I tried the No4 mag in the Ishapore this morning and it locks home smartly! Now I'm REALLY confused...

The ONLY thing that looks out of the ordinary is the mag on the Ishy is tight to slot/ guide on the trigger guard, while it seems a little "cocked" away from the guard at the bottom of the Long Branch....

Tonight when I get home I will strip the Long Branch to get a closer look at the relationship there, MAYBE there's a tiny burr or something I can't see or feel...

I hate to start filing or sanding or anything until I figure out EXACTLY what needs it, I've buggered up too many parts in my life with "Premature Dremeling" :eek: :p :D :D :D

#17 ·
Well DON'T be a stranger here, we can always use another expert....Like I can USUALLY hold my own on RussianCrap:eek: but I'm just starting up on my Enfield shootin' and collectin'....

Plus if we don't KNOW the facts we would probably just make 'em up and possibly screw up the entire known Western Gun World...so you will always be welcome to stick around and keep us honest....:p :D

Like I was ABOUT to claim that the ring was to hang the pot over the fire when Tommy "brewed up" and you saved me from a little embarrassment....:eek: :p ;)

Thanks again, Vaughn.

#19 ·
Don't feel bad! When I first got my CRFFL one of my FIRST purchases was some "cheap" (G-VG)91/30s I paid 3/$99...

ONE of them was a Tula, with what appeared to be a not particularly well done rectangular repair on the stock on the left side, BARELY covering what you could see looked like plugged holes somebody drilled in the reciever....

Having NO idea what I had, it wasn't in that good shape i thought, and I figured some "bubba" had tried to mount a scope, so I hung it out on ********* and sold it for $55 and thought I done good....:cool:

UNTIL I finally got far enough along to buy a book and surf like you do to talk to guys who MIGHT know, that I learned I actually was holding in my hands an ex-snayperskaya that they converted BACK to stock after the war, those holes were ACTUAL World War II arsenal holes for the PE oe PSO scope mount and that guys were paying premiums for them to convert BACK to snipers, ESPECIALLY Tulas...but oh well, I learned something, AND made a couple of bucks doing it, usually you PAY for an education...:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.