stupid knife sharpening question.

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by lohki13, Dec 27, 2006.

1. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Well usauly my sharpens my knifes but lately i don't get the chance to get him to do it so he told me i should buy a whetstone well i've looking on the internet all i can find if diamonds stones anyone know where i can find a good stone or stonesthanks in advance.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I usually use a toll called the Accu-Sharp it is a life saver and easy as he!! to use
  4. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Thanks for the link any of you evr use one of Arkansas Bench Stone?
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Arkansas Bench Stone are some of the best I have them in soft hard and a small super hard black one that will make a razor blade feel dull. :) you have to know how to use a stone or you can screw up a good knife.:eek:
    Just my 2 cents
    Ron
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Exactly, when I was younger I didn't trust myself with sharpening because I didn't want to ruin a good blade...Well, after trusting others to do it and ending up with ruined blades anyway, I finally started practicing with old 2 dollar knives untill I became pretty good at it. I still cant hold a candle to Keith though, Keith is a metal worker/knife maker friend of mine who uses two wheels (one is a grinder) with a belt stretched around them, I dont know what that belt is made of, but he lays the blade on there for a bit and then adds a little polishing compound and does it some more and Geeze man, you're almost scared to use the thing, I dont care how sorry the metal is, it's sharp, sorry metal when he gets done. :D

Crpdeth
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

This is what I use.
    http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/professional.html

you mount the little steel rod to the back of the stone & mount the knife in the holder. You then have the choice of three or four angles tio choose from. With the blade locked into the holder & the steel rod keeping everything straight you can't make a mistake & your blades come out perfect every time. Never a worry about scratching the face of an expensive blade either.
  8. I've carried a pocket knife of one sort or another since I was about eight, and I don't feel dressed without one clipped to my pocket. I must admit though, that sharpening one properly has always given me fits. :eek: I suspect that part of that feeling comes from my impatient nature and my compulsion about carrying only a VERY sharp knife at all times (it's only sharp enough if I can shave with it!). These days I tend toward knives made with rather hard steels, like ATS 34, ATS 55, and CPM 440V because they tend to hold an edge so much longer. On the other hand, putting that edge on in the first place can be a real PITA. I have yet to find a sharpening kit that does the job efficiently and quickly enough to suit me.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Pike stones made by Norton and a Arkansas Black - plus a spritz of WD 40. Good therapy in front of the TV. Relax folks, its just a knife. Yes, you can screw it up, but it'll still cut. My knives see hard use, and the use screws them more than my attempts at sharpening.
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Knife sharpening can be an art or it can be slap-dash. If the knife ends up sharp enough to do the job you have at hand, it's all right.

That said, get a Lansky or Smith sharpener. They both have a clamp for the blade and the stones guided by roda in a jig. This will get your knife sharp, with the correct angle and consistent across the edge. Then practice using a hand held hone with cheap knives until you learn to hold that angle manually.

Pops
  11. deadmarsh

deadmarsh New Member

Learn to sharpen first -- razor edge systems...
    Learn to steel later -- keep that edge...

Later, buy a sharpening sysyem (Edge-Pro, Syderco, etc) -- once you get lazy...

Then go back and do it right the way you started...

Dead
  12. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I tend to favor high-carbon steel blades because they're easier to sharpen. Stainless blades I have get sharpened on a little stationary belt sander I have. With a regular stone or sharpener I don't have te patience with the stainless blades.

Like they taught us in the boy scouts, a sharp blade is a safer blade.
  13. Actually, I agree with you on the high-carbon, no chromium added blades, Pop. The problem is, except for kitchen knives and a few other specialized knives like the KaBar, it is very hard to find non-stainless blade steel these days. Most knife makers seem to make them--especially pocket folders--out of stainless almost exclusively. Do you know of any manufacturer who still uses straight high-carbon steel?
  14. john riley

john riley New Member

I believe schrade uses mostly high carbon blades on most of there folders, I've owned numerous schrades and can say they areolid inexpemsive functional knives
  15. deadmarsh

deadmarsh New Member

I prefer the tool steels over stainless and so-called carbon steel...

D2 the A2 are excellent steels if the maker is a seasoned heat treater...

Dead
  16. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Pistol

I know all of my knives made by Buck are high carbon. I have knives made by Boker, Schrade, Case,Victorinox, Wenger & a few lesser known brands that are high carbon steel. Seems like even the $1 knives from China are all stainless now.
  17. berto64

berto64 Active Member

lohki13,

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask. Good Luck!
  18. Pop, remember the butcher knives we used to see made of 1095 high-carbon, non-stainless steel? You could put an edge on on of those that was scary sharp! Wish I could find a couple of those today. They had to be sharpened often, but man oh man could they cut!
  19. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Stupid not is knive to sharpen. LL
  20. Birdville2011

Birdville2011 New Member

you can get a diamond sharpener at academy for like 20 bucks