Stupid newbie ? Lol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M00N7child, Nov 9, 2012.

1. M00N7child

M00N7child New Member

Hi, I am kinda new to this, my husband & I own sever different guns, I am very small 5ft. Not a lot of upper body strength, before my husband, I lived with my fiancé, he had a M1 grand, (very beautiful gun), also had a AR15 (also very nice). We had a reloading bench in the spare room so I remember a little, about the grains, & so forth. Back then my 1st time shooting was started off with the M1 grand, needless to say it wasn't fun but I'm glad he was behind me to soften the recoil or I'm sure I woulda been on my a$$ lol. Then I shot the AR 15 which wasn't as bad of a recoil but still sucked for my size. Needless to say I'm now with my sweet husband, that loves to shoot, we have quite a few, & I was always the one to say, "we will never have a gun in the house with kids" only cause I have seen the horror stories of parents that thought the same thing, " oh nothing will happen just keep them up safe", my husband is very good of keeping them double locked up :) sorry to bore you with my story, but he's always begging me to come shooting, but after the 2 other guns, I shot with a few people laughing in the range, cause the recoil almost flew me back to the wall, I guess I am "Discouraged ", any suggestions??? I don't really check my email, but I am, "AmyFettersVettese"thanks for you help also I had seen something call a "Pctech .22" is that correct, & if so would it be easier to shoot. Thank you
  2. B27

B27 New Member

Hey there! :)

I'm in GA too.
  3. M00N7child

M00N7child New Member

I am 20 mins roughly south of ya in Newnan :)
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

The M1 is pretty powerful for a small woman to shoot. The AR is better, but you might want to try something lighter such as a .22 rifle, at least until you get used to shooting. Then you can try the AR again. You should be able to handle that pretty easily.

I think it's always a mistake to take a new shooter out and let them shoot something powerful the first time out. Start walking before you run.

But at least you're joining your husband at the range. The family that shoots together stays together.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Not stupid, uninformed maybe but not stupid. I can tell you're not stupid as you are here on TFF the greatest firearms board on the whole interwebz.

Get a decent 22lr and start from there. Glad to have you on the board.
  6. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

welcome from wv.
  7. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

Welcome aboard Moon. :)

You reminded me of my friend who's small himself. He fired my bro's 30.06 and he landed on his ass. :D
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

You already have an AR have the hubby buy a 22 conversion for it, you'll have a Blast.

Welcome to the Club Amy.

Ken.
  9. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Active Member

My first wife was about 5'2" and small framed. We got her a Beretta .32. My current wife likes her CZ .22. She's not as small, but bruises pretty darned easy lol. And I must admit, it's accurate. I took out a crow from the top of a tree 200 yards away. When I taught her to shoot, I used a hunting pellet gun that I had to pump up for her...but no kick and was a good training tool.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Moo7child, while I have never heard of a "pctech 22", a 22 is the way to go.

I've put these up before, but love posting them. :D They are both movies, so click on them.

This is my granddaughter, on her fifth birthday, with her new 22.

[​IMG]

This is her little sister. 14 months old. Same day, same gun.

[​IMG]

A 22 is certainly the way to start. No recoil.
  11. M00N7child

M00N7child New Member

Thank you everyone for all for the great info, my ex was the one that had the M1, & AR15. My husband & I have 7 different guns, rangeing from small to large. Ill find out all the specs I cant keep up he keeps buying more lol we are having a date night & going to pick up his new gun, going to dinner, & then to the range lol I havent been to a range in about 15 years :) since we moved up here from Fl. Im going to try out a few guns tonight, & we have 2 22s one long & one hand gun. I guess I just need to build up my arm strength, cause I have a problem pulling the slide back. We also have a good friens that has 80 achers & we have target practice out there all the time but I only shot a few times 2 weeks ago I usually just watch but they kept begging me to shoot so I fired off a few rounds. Ill just have to get used to it :) my son thats 11 & very tiny is probley the best shooter out of them all lol ty again all & I have a feeling ill be on here alot :)
  12. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Welcome,

You were introduced to shooting in a VERY poor manner, good to see that you are still willing to give it another try, the advice you have been given already is good, start with the .22's and work up to find your comfort range as far as firepower, the .22's may be all you need to put a smile on your face, and affordable to shoot as well,

I can't imagine anyone would have a small framed person shoot a Garand for thier first experience, unless he was just plain mean, and did NOT want you to become interested in shooting, that's just wrong, I started my twin girls with an air rifle and pellet pistol when they were 7, they are 17 now and enjoy shooting everything but the heavier caliber hunting rifles, just too much for them and they don't enjoy it, they will shoot my .45 cal hand gun though :)

Have fun, and stick around here, read a lot of the info that is already here, and ask questions, a finer group of people you'll never meet,
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey Moon, another Georgian here, I live a few miles east of you in Madison County. I agree with everyone else with the .22 being the way to start off. The Garand was a little harsh to start with, even though I love mine. My Grand-daughter is 12 and she really enjoys shooting both .22 rifles and .22 handguns, but at the same time she enjoys shooting my .44 Magnum revolver. I am sure that you will enjoy all of them too, in time.
  14. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Moon; As 1 Eyed Jack says, this is a great place to come to relax, chat, have a laugh or two...There are lots of people with great advice and lots of experience who are more than willing to help.

Many of us started out with .22's. As already said, it's a light round and inexpensive to shoot.

Just be sure to learn the safety rules early on.

It's great you can go to a range and try out several different guns. That's the best way to go; you can get the feel for different guns; some will be more comfortable than others, and you can match the gun to yourself.

Have fun and enjoy.
  15. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum
    As others have said. it is best to start with a .22
    ( By the way, I live 100 miles South of you but my daughter and S-I-L live near you in Fayetteville. He is DA there)