Stupid Newbie Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by InigoMontoya, May 19, 2005.

1. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Yes, I'm a newb. Please be gentle.....

OK, I have a rather large laboratory gun in my possession. It's brand new and as such I'm still gearing up for it's first firing. It uses a 3-stage ignition system which is irrelevent except for one point: It's first stage is a primed .300 Win Mag case.

So obviously I need to get myself set up for priming .300 Win Mag cases. Buying the cases should be pretty straight forward. Ditto for the primers too, I would imagine (or am I showing my ignorance with that statement?).

But what about the reloading dies? When I look at the Cabelas website I see all sorts of different dies and such. But I've no idea what I really need or the proper nomenclature in the reloading world. All I need is the ability to put primers in brand new brass (I will not be re-using the brass). What do I need to accomplish this?

Thanks.
  2. richbug

richbug New Member

If you just want to prime the brass, and not load actual ammunition, BUy a Lee Autoprime tool and shell holder #5 for an auto prime, the auto prime is about $15, and the shell holder is about $3. it is a small hand held tool that is the easiest tool to prime cases with, and it is cheap.
  3. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Ooooo.... Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks again.