1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Stupid Newbie Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by InigoMontoya, May 19, 2005.

1. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Yes, I'm a newb. Please be gentle.....

OK, I have a rather large laboratory gun in my possession. It's brand new and as such I'm still gearing up for it's first firing. It uses a 3-stage ignition system which is irrelevent except for one point: It's first stage is a primed .300 Win Mag case.

So obviously I need to get myself set up for priming .300 Win Mag cases. Buying the cases should be pretty straight forward. Ditto for the primers too, I would imagine (or am I showing my ignorance with that statement?).

But what about the reloading dies? When I look at the Cabelas website I see all sorts of different dies and such. But I've no idea what I really need or the proper nomenclature in the reloading world. All I need is the ability to put primers in brand new brass (I will not be re-using the brass). What do I need to accomplish this?

Thanks.
  2. richbug

richbug New Member

If you just want to prime the brass, and not load actual ammunition, BUy a Lee Autoprime tool and shell holder #5 for an auto prime, the auto prime is about $15, and the shell holder is about $3. it is a small hand held tool that is the easiest tool to prime cases with, and it is cheap.
  3. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Ooooo.... Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks again.