Stupid Noobs!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Del Slo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to help someone, but one of my pet peeves is people that answer the questions not asked, and ignore the ones that are.

Back when it first got started, Cowboy Shooting did not allow gas checks. They do now, on long range side-match guns, but back then they did not at all. So this guy posts one day, "Does anyone know where I can buy gas-check bullets for 45/70?"

The first twelve responses all said the same thing. "You can't use gas checks in SASS".

Now, he hadn't said anything about using them in a match. He might have been going bear hunting with them, for all anyone on that board knew. But instead of someone saying, "Hunter Bullet Supply sells 'em", they all told him he couldn't use 'em.

Couple of years ago I was making a BOB, and had narrowed a pistol choice down to three different 22s. Trying to make up my mind, I posted on a board. Said I was making a BOB. Said I was trying to chose between these three, because I had those three. Did not want recommendations of other guns. Wanted them folks' opinions on the better of THOSE THREE.

I got two answers suggesting one of the three. Then I got about a dozen or so suggesting Glocks, suggesting 357s, suggesting 1911, suggesting Berettas.

I quoted my original post. I bolded the sentence that said "don't want recommendations of other guns". I said, "What part of that sentence did y'all not understand?"

The general consensus of the responses to that was, "Your choices were bad choices, so we were giving you other options".

Seeing this type thing many times has made my reaction almost reflexive.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Del Slo.. 15 gr IMR Trailboss and any 150 gr bullet in the .30-06 cartridge. I call them snail fart loads. As they are dang near sub sonic. They wont cycle the action of a semi, but will shoot well out to 100 yds or so, and even kill deer and hogs.

Other than that.. Just buy the woman a .223 ;)

Welcome to the forum. And the way you explained the fuel/air ratio relation to pressure and burn is pretty dead on. Handloading is very similar. case volumes less than 50% can detonate easily and destroy a perfectly good rifle and or face.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

reading the replies.. it seems the questions asked, WERE answered, PLUS other alternatives given. ???

as for the pic above? i see it's a gas gun.. thus much lower recoil than a bolt.. plus if a garand.. it's shooting a milder than hunting ammo load anyway. all adds up.. :) Still... not everyone can do it. my mom wouldn't be able to shoot even a garand.. nor my wife...
  4. Del Slo

Del Slo New Member

Alpo... What are you talking about? Everyone who answered has helped in some way. I admit some answers where a bit harsh but none the less an answer.

I'm going to get her some Trailboss or Hodgdon Youth Load. This should solve her weak shoulder so she can have some fun.

BTW... It's a bolt action Winchester Model 70.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You will like the TB loads. Like I said. 15 gr in the oughtsix with just about any 150 grainer. Easy shootn.