Stupid Question....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:26:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Stupid Question....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is WWII GI Bore cleaner supposed to be milky white? I don't remember, been 15 years since I used it, if it WAS what we used to clean the club's DCM Garands where I used to shoot highpower....
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:40:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Stupid Question....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to my sources if it is milky white it's a lubricant. If it's brown kinda like Hoppe's color then it's the bore cleaner.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:49:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Stupid Question....
    OD can was sealed, says "US 6oz CLEANER Rifle Bore, Shake Well Before Using POISON Not to be used as Food Container"

"Specification RIXS 205 Rev. I Purchase Order 43-18171"

"Banner MFG. Co. Inc."

I THINK it's authentic 1943 bore cleaner, maybe I didn't shake it enough, or maybe it's got water in it...
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 11:06:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Stupid Question....
    Hell, I myself don't know I just asked a 60 year old gun fanatic who was in the military back in the 50's and 60's.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 11:12:09 pm)
    T, I remember using "GI bore cleaner" on our DCM Garands YEARS ago, and I think I remember it was brownish too...

I wonder if this stuff has moisture in it...

I opened two cans, and both were white, I have two more sealed cans, but don't want to open them yet...

I guess the question should be is it still good to use for what I want it for..cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo....?

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/24/02 11:14:49 pm)
    well polishshooter
    does it clean bores or not? if it's not supposed to be milky perhaps you should give it a more vigorous thrashing, be sure the cap is on securely lest unwanted spillage get all over everything and contaminate a certain blue dress

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 9:09:22 am)
    I was shooting my Nagant revolver, with some supposedly corrosive Russian target ammo...and yeah, the bore looks pretty peachy now, the patches came out ugly for a while after I used the stuff just like the 1943 instructions said...

But then did brush with Hoppes too after I wiped the whole gun down with the milky stuff....

Spilled it all over my hands too, and it felt funky until I washed it off, so there's SOME kind of chemical in there that's still active....

I guess the next time I shoot my M95 Steyr with the 38 Nazi ammo I have that I KNOW is corrosive as hell will be the real test....

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 3:05:55 pm)
    I believe it is supposed to be milky white - it has a base chemical to neutralize the acidic corrosive powder residue - I believe it is ammonia related.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:01:52 pm)
    You're right, Crusty - the stuff is supposed to be milky colored, as it's a water soluble oil that was used in the early days (WW I & II, Korea) because of the corrosive primers used by the military up 'til around '52 or '53. That's the only type of bore cleaner I ever remember using in the "Brown Boot" Army. When available, we'd run into the steaming hot showers with the stripped down M-1's (Garand) and run hot water patches down the bores to clean both the carbon fouling and the salts from the primers. Then run some of that white bore cleaner down to satifsy the platoon sergeants!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 10:51:53 pm)
    Thanks, Kdub, thats what I was looking for...somebody that used it and when...

Yeah, we used "GI" Bore cleaner in little green cans that was reddish brown when we cleaned the club DCM Garands, but that was in the early and mid 80s, it was probably CURRENT bore cleaner not WWII stuff...made for noncorrosive ammo that we were shooting...

I think the headstamps on the GI M2 Ball we shot was late 70s..I can check, I still have a bandoleer of it put back somewhere...

...about when did the US go to non-corrosive primers?

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"