Stupid works at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

in the sporting good section and the manager ain't too bright either.

I ask the sales dude if I can look at the Mossburg Plinkster and it feels good and light. It will be fun to shoot and be a good size for my wife. Guy asks me what it's for, for me and my wife to shoot and have fun. It's nice and light and my wife will love it. He then says, well your wife will need to come do the background check since it's for her. He and the manager on duty refuse to sell me the rifle and I tell them they can go outside and play hide and go F yourself.

I know that they are playing a CYA game but, that is total bulsh. Any gun I buy she can shoot and besides, that restriction doesn't count for married folks.

Made me so :mad::mad: mad I stormed out of the store and am considering filing a complaint with the ATF.
  2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

just come back when someone else is working, be quiet and buy it.
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that's an excellent idea. Those folks suck, big time. I'd also write the stores corporate office and tell them you're gonna write ATF. Get an apology from everyone...
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Someone needs to take them both to school. Thats total BS. You can buy a gun for your wife any day of the week and its completely and totally legal as long as your wife is not a convicted felon. That is not a straw sale. That is a gift. A straw sale is when a person purchaces a firearm for someone who he knows can not legally own a firearm. I would consider reporting them.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah but thats not the point. I see what Steve is ranting about and agree. they shouldnt put dips***s behind the counter in sporting goods unless they fully understand firearms and ammunition sales regulations.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok , in texas , you can lay a charge against the store for restriction of freedoms , that is where they make up a rule more imposing than the actual law

the store cannot ask a higher level of anything than the law

when traveling through texas i was told because my permit was a NRA ( non resident alien) i had to show my greencard ( work visa) i was not working and my DHS visa was in the office ( i had been working , but finished that then transferred to a tourist visa 3mth )

i called the HQ of the store and asked them why they did this and got my friend to advise them of the law and the penalty , the gent asked me to return to the store whereby i was met by the manager and walked to what i wanted to buy and sold it to me

no store can raise the level of legal requirement

only your legislature can do that or thats what i was explained in 2004
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1.
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

You have to put it in perspective. What kind of person do you think Wally World gets for slightly more than minimum wage? Your lucky they speak English. If you like the price, come back another time and buy it without any explanation. If you want to make a confession, go to a Church. Spend a little more and go to a gun shop who knows the laws.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

That's my plan and I will execute it in the next few days. :D
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think he is related to the guy that works the Dick's Sporting Goods gun counter.
  11. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

They have no clue. It would be illegal (as Double D stated) for one to buy a gun for a known felon. It would also be illegal for you to buy a gun for another person who gives you money to buy it for them for any reason.(acting as a proxy = straw purchase = felony).

You can absolutely buy a gun as a gift for someone if they have no legal reason preventing them from owning one.

What you experienced is an over-reaction as well as a lack of knowlege with those people.

This is a fine example of why we should all do business with the smaller gun shops. You get knowlegeable people with a passion for firearms who will assist you rather than prevent you in finding what you want.

I work part-time for a local dealer/range and hear big-box horror stories every time I'm up there. Makes me proud to work with a shop who actually cares about it's customers.
  12. geds

geds New Member

There is a Wal-Mart every 5-10 miles throughout most of this country. Just go to another store and buy the gun! Why patronize the idiots that gave you grief? Then write a letter to the corporate office and complain.
  13. geds

geds New Member

Oh, by the way, Walmart.com is NOT affiliated with the brick and mortar stores. You can order online and take delivery in a brick and mortar store, but prices and merchandise will vary. If you try to return or exchange an item - you have to do so where you purchased it.

I bought a Viso sound bar for Xmas last year from the website. The one they shipped was damaged, so I tried to get them to swap it for one in the store - no dice. I had to return to the website and wait for them to reship another one which came after Xmas!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have noticed walmart is starting to carry some pretty 'evil' firearms. I went in yesterday to buy cci minimags and they had a S&W M&P15-22 and a sig 522 right there on the rack in evil black. Not to mention the mini 14 across the rack and the R-15 .223 next to it. All at crazy good prices.
  15. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Hmmm...I wonder if that means they're going to start carrying MP 15-22 mags now. I could always use some more.