Stupidity or simply a lack of common courtesy?...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ponycar17, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've been pondering on this subject for a while but I finally decided to ask more people what they think of the subject. :)

When standing in line at a crowded supermarket or other store with multiple checkout lines or lanes of travel I'm constantly aware of where I'm standing so that other people can pass by. I call it courtesy. I was taught this at an early age when my mom, grandparents and great-grandmother told my little butt to get out of the way of others. :eek:

Others seem not to care... :rolleyes: My wife and I were attempting to get through the front isle of a local supermarket tonight pushing a grocery cart (aka: "buggy" where we live) with our son riding along and several people just blocked the isle of travel and wouldn't move until we said, "excuse me." At that time they said, "oh sorry" and moved aside. Why did it take us asking for a way through?... :confused: Isn't there such a thing as common courtesy any more? :confused:

At work various management members have meetings on the production floor throughout the day to cover what's currently going on. One of the largest meetings is at a point at the front entrance of the plant. People use this walkway to exit the building routinely. Operators use the exit to go to break. I use the exit to walk back to my office after visiting a production area... It would seem to me that supposedly educated individuals would have the common courtesy to maintain the walkway and allow a constant flow of people through the area even while having their meeting. Most people try to maintain an isle but there's always several people who stand right in the way and don't bother to notice that they're blocking people attempting to pass.

So, I have to ask... Is it stupidity or simple lack of courtesy? :confused:

Do any of the rest of you feel as I do on the matter? If you feel differently, what's your take on the situation? Have people lost all common courtesy?... :( Am I overly conscious of how my actions affect others?... :confused:
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with you. I was raised the same way.

They are blissfully unaware most of the time, living their lives in "condition white." No one exists but themselves.

They drive the same way. These are the people that accidents "happen to."

They are the opiate drunken masses. And they will be the cannon fodder.

Only a few are awake.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im the same way as you are. and i think other people are just inconsiderate. they have only one person on their mind. themselves
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I guess it depends on what one considers stoopidity, vs ingorance, vs courtesy.:rolleyes:

If I'm a business owner, I'd say get out of the way. These customers pay your wage.

It's all about the money.

Stoopidity? FIRED!
    Ignorence? FIRED!
    No respect? Fired!

Show me the money.
    If you can't, you're fired.

Respect begets respect.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

In the work situation that's what bothers me most. Operators have a short time to take a break. With educated idiots standing in their path of travel as they attempt to take a break it dumbfounds me why some can't see that they're showing their workers a TOTAL lack of respect by their action, or rather inaction. It's amazing... Oblivious, stupid, discourteous, self-centered, narrow-minded, whatever it is... It ain't good. :rolleyes:
  6. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I'm with you on this Pony. It does seem that many people have no manners or consideration for others.
    How about the "moving road block"? You know, when you are at the mall and there is a whole family in front of you spread out line abreast, and they are shuffling their feet along at .05 miles per hour. Another thing is when you hold a door open for someone, do you notice how many have the courtesy to say "thanks"? What I do when they say nothing is to say "you're welcome" loudly, and smile at them just to see their reaction. Sometimes it shames them into saying thanks. The rest of them are just A.H.'s I guess!
    This may seem petty to some, but to me, it shows lack of class and manners.
  7. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Wake up folks, wake upl
    graehaven pretty much covered it as I see it.
    oldogy
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

I'm in complete agreement.
    Sunday morning I ran into this:
    2 joggers running down a 4 lane road, running with the direction of traffic. One is running along the far right curb. No problem.
    His buddy is running down the center lane. He was not crossing the road as this was his position as he passed in front of my house AND 6 blocks later when he shot me the bird for blowing the horn at him.

Call it road rage, call it whatever. This is one time that I wish that I would have been in a truck with some large mirrors. Whacking this arrogant SOB in the back of the head would have almost been worth the jail time. :mad:

Art
  9. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Clueless.
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Cattle prod:D:D
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

What a bigot! We know who you are talking about!:D:D:D:D:D

I think sometimes these folks are oblivious. I have many times said "excuse me" to have them quickly vacate the path with an apology. Sometimes it is arrogance. A manager for example may think he will demonstrate his superiority by being rude to an hourly worker. Ignorant, stupid, how many other reasons?

I once had a crowd of women blocking my way when I was in a hurry and very angry. I shouted "Make a path!" at near the top of my lungs, shoulda seen them hop, hop, hop, hop! As I stormed by one of them said "You don't need to yell." I responded "Yeah, I guess I could have shot my way through!" Bad idea. I had to answer questions about that one.:(
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

That would work. ;) :D :D

Even better.
    I coulda done a drive-by tazering. :eek: :D
    Leave him floppin like a fish in the middle of the road. :D :D

Need to file this thread for future reference. ;) :)

Art
  13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

:D:D:DFOML:D:D:D
    flopping like a fish
    :D:D:D
  14. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Don't even get me started on THIS one:mad::mad::mad:
  15. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another sign of the de-civilization of mankind. You see it everywhere.
  16. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

That's a good point to discuss Art. I ride a mountain/road/hybrid bike a good bit. I stay as far to the right as I can for self-preservation's sake. I have often commented how crazy it is to jog/walk/ride in the center of the lane of travel. You may have the right of way as a pedestrian but you cannot plead your case from 6 ft. under. Get the heck out of the road! ;) Some folks have no concept of self-preservation... Good point! :)
  17. red14

red14 Active Member

Yes, and, yes.;)

It is a passive aggressive show of disrespect.:cool:

Just like the idiots that have the speakers loud enough in their cars to shake my window. Like the ones that walk across the road, :mad: in front of your car :mad:, AND STARE AT YOU :mad: WHILE THEY WALK AS SLOW :mad: AS A PREGNANT :mad: THREE LEGGED TURTLE!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

There, I feel better.:D

18. navis128

navis128 New Member

Since you have an office, would it be totally inappropriate for you to go to the supervisor in private and ask them to keep the walkway clear during the meetings? If they get snippy tell them it's an OSHA issue.
  19. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Grand idea... :D Welcome to the world of large company politics. That's an impossible mission. :rolleyes: What's worse is that I'm our department's safety representative. :eek:

I appreciate your comment because you seem genuinely concerned. Try to talk this concept into the crowd I'm referring to and you'll quickly lose their attention. :( If it's not about 'the game' or their department's 'numbers' expect them to blank out soon after the conversation begins. :rolleyes:
  20. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I understand the grocery store issue.

Here we have two checkout aisles. In the aisle on the right, the guy 4th in line has left a hole for passage in the L/R aisle. Notice how someone else is sliding their cart into that hole. In the aisle on the left, the 4th guy left no hole. If you wish to get by, you say "excuse me", and he will, immediately, get out of the way, and then go right back to where he was. He does not wish to go from 4th in line to 5th in line, simply because he was trying to be polite.

That happens any time there is a line. If you leave a hole, for people to cross in front of you, someone will step or drive into that hole.

Attached Files: