Sturmgewehr Mp-44

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Roughrdr, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Have had my eye on a Sturmgewehr mp44 (stg-44) for a while. this is a C.G.Haenel piece I am told. Other than what limited info I have found, are there any issues I need to be aware of concerning these Rifles? Would this be a good item to pick up, I generally do not collect German rifles, but this seems to be priced right (in my mind anyway).

Any further info would be appreciated.
  2. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

R/rdr as far as I no these were used almost exclusively on the Russian front, not 2 many survivors, so they R kinda scarce. BUT, this is 2nd hand info. U R aware that these R
    subguns with a selector switch and R Class 3 weapons, unless "de-activated" to semi-auto. Takes 7:92X33 ammo, I unnerstan it is available. Keep me posted on the outcome, I have vested interest. IB :cool:
  3. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Forgot all about this post.

I picked it up no problems. IT was a war time pick up the previous owner claimed. Takin his word on it, he was a vertren of WWII.

Had to get a new firing pin machined, old one worn, would not fire.

Shoots like a dream now.
  4. The Rabbi

The Rabbi New Member

They are great shooters. Where are you getting ammo? Starline has been contacted about making brass, but they are not interested just yet (Need a few more people to let them know they want it)

As far as bullets go, one of out customers has been turning down bronze and it is working great for him but it aint cheap.
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

There's no such thing as "deactivated to semi-auto" in the ATF's eyes.

"Once a machinegun, always a machinegun." The only way to "deactivate" so you don't fall under NFA regs is to cut the receiver in such a way as to prevent it from being reassembled into an operational weapon.

There's a larger group of people interested in 7.5Swiss who have let Starline know they want it, but they still won't make that brass. I doubt you'll ever get enough people to talk them into making 8mm Kurz.
  6. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

It came with roughly 2000 rounds which I purchesed seperatley. I have about the same less 50 now.

Noticed ammo is hard to get, so I am looking to see what I can do should I run out.

Also been looking to see what I can form to make it.
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

That's a nice old weapon. The ammo the 7.62x39 is based on the STG's fodder. That's just trivia. My understanding is that the bassis of the round is a shortened 8x57 case. I think the worst situation will be the dies to load it.

I believe that the law on NFA's is that they must not be capable of containing the necessary parts to be full auto. You can make semi only receivers; but, it's one heck of a lot of work making sure that they won't accept the parts. Open bolts in semi must be made to operate from the closed position.

I'm a little crusty on some of the laws. I haven't exactly been dealing with this stuff lately. Just got to darned expensive. Hope Kansas passes a new Class 3 act so that things can be a bit more sane here. Now that we are getting concealed my hopes are up.
  8. sck

sck Member

So, tell us, just how "priced right" was it? $20,000 -- $30,000 for a registered STG 44?
  9. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Hey r/rdr, Welcome to the MP-44 club. I have had mine for about 2 yrs now and they are truly a collector’s piece in just about any condition. Mine is is great shape with about 95% of the original finish intact!! (see photos). It is a joy to shoot. I try not to fire it often but when I do it NEVER has a hiccup. Mine was picked up in Germany by an 82nd AB 1Lt. It was surrendered to him by an SS Lt. It came with the original operators manual and parts bag, the guy even had the original amnesty form of 1968! It is a fully legal, NFA regestered, class III weapon now and an invaluable part of history. They were used mostly on the Eastern front during the war but some made it out to fight in the West too.

I have looked high and low for reloading components and here is the fruit of that labor! This is a link to Buffalo Arms; they make an exact copy of the bullet for the 7.92X33 Kurz.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,881.html

This next link is to Quality Cartridge. They have FACTORY brass, yup, that’s right, factory! You may have to get them on the phone as it is not listed on the site but they do have it, I bought a 1,000 pieces.

http://www.qual-cart.com/

This is where you may be able to find some parts. It's a link to International Military Antiques in New Jersey. I bought a few firing pins there and some other stuff.

http://www.ima-usa.com/

RCBS does make reloading dies for it and there is load data out there. Good luck and good shooting my friend!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  10. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Ran me about 19 large, it's not the most pristine example I have ever seen, but is safe to shoot should I wish to do more. Guestimating 50% original finish, stock needs to be fixed, but I can handle that. No accesories, but I am not a die hard collector so at the moment is not a priority.

This one also had a amnesty form, and was able to get it transferred with no problems.

As for how the rifle was aquired, it's all been hearsay as the actual vetran passed on awhile back (never spoke to him) and got it from the son who relayed the story, if only in parts.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  11. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Welcome to the fun factory!
    I've had MP 43/44s for 50 yrs, got my current MP 43 shooter in 1985 from the vets widow. It had been registered in the 1968 amnesty. She said he was guarding a group of POWs and one of them came to him and asked if he wanted to know where a gun was in the brush. He went and looked and found this MP 43.
    What is the ammo you got - WW 2 or east German? If WW 2 how boxed?
    ibtrukn:
    NO, these were not used exclusively on the Ost Front. That is where they were first used, but by wars end were in use in all war zones. They are not scarce. I have several and I know at least 25 guys who have one or more.
    Here is a photo of my heard.
    Bottom up: MP 43, MP 44, Stg 44, MP 43. One should also have a few spare parts.
    Sarge

Attached Files:

12. lumax

lumax New Member

I was looking at a STG at a gun show that was a non gun. It had a cut receiver. The guy said that it was all original and not put together from parts. At close examination where it said STG, with a magnifying glass I could see a faint mark MP44 and STG was stamped on top of it. It was very hard to see. Could this be correct? Also the STG didn't have 44 after it. It just had STG. Any opinions on this would be appreciated. lumax
  13. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Depends on how it was put back togather after being cut - It could still be illegal! Was it for sale?
    Yes, at least one factory stamped StG over MP, on receivers already marked, when they got the word to change the markings. The 44 should still be viseable though, that wasn't changed. Also at least one factory - bnz - Never changed to StG.
    Sarge
  14. lumax

lumax New Member

Sarge, thanks for your help. The MP44 mark is very faint. You can only make it out with a magnifying glass. When looking with the naked eye all you can see is STG. Yes it was for sale. He wanted $4000 for it. I did look at it for a long time & he let me write down all the markings on it which was very nice of him. I wasn't a 100% sure of what I was looking at because of all the different markings on it. Thanks again, lumax
  15. lumax

lumax New Member

Sarge, the dealer at the show had other guns and some of them were PPH and MG34s. All of them were incapable of firing. The STG I was talking about he said wasn't put together with parts except where it was cut there was a blank piece of metal welded into place, the bolt wouldn't move and the barrel was plugged. What I was curious about was that he said it wasn't put together but there is alot of different stampings on it. I wrote some of them down. For example on the piece that is left on the bottom of the gun before the blank piece is welded in, is COS FXO, WaAA4. On the metal part on the stock there is the same serial number as the gun which is 5882Y and BYF which I know is mauser. I am sure there is other marks on the gun but this is all that I saw. I am used to seeing all the same maker marks like on the model 98k's. I don't have a clue on who made that STG. Is there a good book that I can buy to learn more about them? $4000 is alot of money to pay for a gun that doesn't fire but I only want one for display anyway. I have the dealers number so if I am interested I can get the gun if he still has it available. Any information would be appreciated. lumax