Sturmgewehr Mp-44

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Roughrdr, Mar 12, 2005.

1. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Re: Mp-44

This is a great thread.....[​IMG]

A bit of trivia I imagine most of you allready knew.....

Sturmgewehr translates into "Storm Rifle".....:D
  2. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Actually in this usage, SturmGewehr translates to Assault Rifle. hitlers idea of furthering the war effort. It sounded so much better than Machine Pistol or it's original designation of Machine Carbine - MKb 42.
    Sarge
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

"In this usage".....I don't understand :confused:

If you go to

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

choose English to German translation and type in "storm rifle"

it comes back Sturmgewehr

Assault rifle comes back as "Angriff Gewehr"

"Blitzkrieg" translates to lightning war.....:eek:

Think there's any connection between "storm & lightning"...:rolleyes:

I guess I'm just too nit picky.......[​IMG]........ya think :D

Back to you sarge.....[​IMG].........[​IMG]........[​IMG]
  4. A375RANGER

A375RANGER New Member

Angriff translates better to "attack" when used as a military word.

Sturm can mean storm, in military terminology it is used as both a verb and noun to mean "assault".

The German Military Dictionary may be a better guide to translation than Bablefish for the military use of words.
  5. A375RANGER

A375RANGER New Member

$4000 is way too much for basically a dummy gun. You can build semi MP44s but have to be 922r compliant which means you are going to need a few things like a US barrel and such.

A master with a wire feed can put together a cut reciever and the mods to make it semi-only are not very hard (the easiest part of the whole deal)

Use HKs and other guns as examples of how to be semi only. Grip stick will not take auto parts, receiver changed so auto grip sticks cannot go on, change bolt carrier to semi only, make reciever so unmodified bolt carrier cannot fit in. That is probably more than what is really required.

On most rewelds the trunnion and reciever will now be US made.

If you look around you can get a display gun for $1400-1600 and a parts kit that could be made semi for twice that, not counting buying US parts and all the welding time etc.

There are many ATF approval letters out there for builders concerning rewelds. Just do some online research.
  6. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

That's why I love this forum so much......[​IMG]

The information available is boundless .....[​IMG] ....... [​IMG] ...... :D
  7. lumax

lumax New Member

A375RANGER, thanks for your reply. I checked the forum everyday & it seemed like I wasn't going to get any response to my thread after Sarge answered me. Do you have any idea who the maker was of this gun based on the information that I supplied? Thanks, lumax
  8. A375RANGER

A375RANGER New Member

Sorry, no I'm not an expert on the history of the guns. I just know a bit about putting them back together as semi's.

Collector grade pubs has a $70 book I havne't gotten yet that probably tells all you want to know.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Sorry, I didn't learn my mediocre/fair German from an internet translater.
    Ranger is right in the correkt German usage of SturmGewehr.

Ranger - since when is a semi version of anything a "dummy" gun? It still fires, just not FA. I also don't think 20-25% of the price for a "real" 44 is a bad price at all. I've got several of the real thing and would still buy one of the semi's - If I could find one for not more than $4K!

lumax - your 44 was built by Haneal (fxo) on a contrakt made (cos) receiver.
    Not an uncommon mix on these. By the way cos (Merz-Werk, Frankfort) made lots of stamped metal parts for a wide variety of small arms.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  10. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Tells you how long I've been away from the '44s for. Used to have to scrounge for ammunition for them when I had mine. Had a whole family of sub-guns until I lost all intersest or moved back to this piissy anti-auto state.

Don't feel to vexed about that internet translator; you should see how it butchers and English to German translation. It is absolutley true that words take on a different meaning in a military context. Every good soldier knows that a cover goes on his head and not his bed. Anyway to the point; military dictionaries are very handy if you are dealing with other languages. I have bought as much dual language material from the time the Germans were using the old italic print as possible. Even if you can't read them, military journals and old issues of Signal are extremely interesting.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

The last I knew Kansas allowed dewats and seems like I've head they also allow C & R catagory FAs.
    When I lived in Kansas with a house full (actually only about a half dozed) of dewats they didn't even allow those. I didn't know about it till I had moved back to Mo.

I learned to read and write German using both the script & what is now current day form. I can still read a bit of it, but not much and about all I can write is my name.
    Personally I like Der Adler u. related magazines (Luftflotte West, Nord u. Süd) better than Signal, but then I'm more interested in the Luftwaffe.
    Sarge
  12. A375RANGER

A375RANGER New Member

We are talking about two different things. he was looking at a dummy gun, asking about making a semi auto. He wanted to buy a $4000 dummy gun made from real parts.

The gun he spoke of had a piece of the reciever missing and filled with solid material, meaning the gun still needs a cut reciever to build off of. Also it is most likely missing the bolt group. He'll need another $1000 to get the reciever pieces, $400 for the barrel as the one in it was plugged, and another bunch for internals, and another $1000-2000 (most likely closer to $2000) for a god of welding to put it together straight and to spec. Even then without a real one and a complete seperate trunion to compare to the welding will be almost imposible.

Thats $7000-8000 cash not counting time. I'd start with $2000 dummy gun made from real parts with a good barrel or a $3000 parts kit with reciever pieces. Thats what I did. I also had a complete gun to compare to and a trunnion to use as a guide when rebuilding mine.

I wouldn't sell mine for under $10,000 even as a semi.

Heres a MP44 and Luftwaffe shot combined. These are mine in use.

Sarge I can't believe you wouldn't help a young SF brother out and sell that top kit!

[​IMG]
  13. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Dewats don't count in my book; they are ok though as far as the law is concerned. FA is almost impossible unless you count it as a dealer sample here.

Sarge I used to have a subscription to Der Spiegel and Das Stern at one point. Got tired of current events. Most of my bulk is Franco-Prussian era history books and journals and WWI newspapers and books. Although I have found use for a 1923 field survey manual; we still use the same equipment.

I picked up my first military dictionary when I was on loan to Rak Hydra in Oberdachstetten and it remained handy for quite some time as I got a blue target issued for head wear.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Hey ranger (as in there's nothing stranger than) :)
    I can match that photo.
    What unit you in? I'm FJR1.
    Xin Loi, nothing in the photo of my 43 family is for sale, probably for ever!
    What's this young SF brother bit? Who, when, where, what?
    Sarge

Attached Files:

15. A375RANGER

A375RANGER New Member

How about this one then. No MP44s but none needed to make these pictures cool.

One the drop zones at St Mere Englise in German uniform, first time anyones seen that in a few years! We went over invited by the Frogs to represent germans for the first time this aniversary.

[​IMG]

With Jack McNiece (the book filthy thirteen)

[​IMG]