Sturmgewehr Mp-44

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Roughrdr, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

heres a 43 and 44

[​IMG]

not much in them eh
  2. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

I have a couple old Apps for Importation signed by Commissioner of Internal Revenue. First is dated 1946 and the other I believe was sometime in the 60's. It confused me since both MP43 and 44 were on it. The paperwork states: Model MP43, but the Model number ends in /44.
  3. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

Wow! Very slight differences if any! Guess that lines up with everything I've read on them both.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats how i know its a first issue , its still using the stamped housings

your trigger group is stamped 43 but the barrel has the lay down ( see the barrel is trimmed the last 3" or so on the 44 ?)

theres one exactly like this in a book i have ( in storage of course ) and your numbers are before 4000.. as after that they where all 44's ( so i read i forget exactly where the cut off was but 4800 rings a bell)

War Trophy thats a valuable weapon right there , i dont even know where to say what its worth , but know some who'd line up for the chance to buy it
  5. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

That makes sense then. The other paperwork is dated 1968. I also have 4 boxes of ammo still in the orig packaging. Reading that it is worth a pretty penny as well. Thank you for your information!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Value would depend, greatly, on what country you are in.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the butt is another give away the 43 is almost inline with the receiver the 44 slopes away more and is smaller

a pic comparing the butt's and one of the STG mag stamps , very different

and the barrel nut and muzzle differences top is 43/1 bottom is a 44

your has all these features .. if it had the small butt or different barrel nut arrangement i'd say part gun , but it all matches ... visually anyway

my guess is its the real deal ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

I'm in the south US. He left me with over 200 weapons from different time periods along with a lot of WWII memorabilia (German uniforms, daggers, etc.). Just getting the stuff out of storage these past couple of days since we moved into our new home.
  9. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

Really excited I found this site. I've learned much more here than I did digging around on the internet. With allof these, I need to start getting rid of some of them. I enjoy firearms but am no collector by any means, even though I have a decent collection. Just wish I could have picked his brain before he passed.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

No , all the pic's where taken on a project to make a 100% accurate range of airsoft gun's , museum pieces from all over the world where rented by a japanese guy aichi tarrawasi ( itchy ) nice guy .. i co-ordinated some of the stuff for him here with our museums as i was working part time as a restorer , I'm Australian and the Un gun control mob have been here for years , all my semi and auto gear went to the US and Russia .. i get over every now and again and shoot em and play with what i can get

itchy's web site is http://www.shoeiseisakusho.co.jp/ lots of info , he has blue printed everything he makes ..

welcome to the site , glad to help when i can but i often goof as i dont play enough with them all , but i've always wanted the 43, 44 and 45 from that line , the first assault rifles ..
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

oh i've the blueprints for that here too both original and updated yell out if you want a copy
  12. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

I had actually thought of donating this to a museum, but the wife (of course) came up with the idea of selling. :eek: Shocker! I realized after looking at your photos and edited, but guess you got to it first. Again, thank you for your help.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

If i may be so bold ...

many museums do buy item's

you may not get full market value , but you'll know it'll always be safe
  14. WarTrophy

WarTrophy New Member

Haven't thought of them buying it. Will have to check into that as well.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  15. CaptMax

CaptMax New Member

As a new member I have to post a picture of mine. It was also purchased from the WWII Veteran whom liberated it. He was wise enough to amnesty register it as well. This was manufactured by Erma. It is my favorite WWII firearm.:D
    CaptMax

[​IMG]
  16. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS New Member

This MP-44 is mine. It is a re-activated DEWAT weapon, C&R. Those of us who own one of these vintage weapons can attest that it is not a perfect firearm, being a tested, advanced prototype hurried into the field, with only a small percentage of the ammo it required being manufactured. Only about 1/3 of them ever saw combat. There are many features that make it complex, and occasionally unreliable in feeding. People who like to compare it to the AK-47 should know that there is no comparison, since the AK is a later and better design in almost every way, save accuracy. That being said, it was new and great for its time, filling a large gap in firepower between the submachine gun and the bolt action rifle, and was surpassed by the AK less than 10 years later. Still, the mystique of owning the grandfather of all assault rifles has never been lost on me, and it remains the favorite firearm in my small collection from a historical perspective. I shoot mine occasionally, due to the ammo cost, but every time it fires, it brings a smile to my face and all those around me.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012