Styer Mannlicher - info needed

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by eagle20, Mar 9, 2006.

1. eagle20

eagle20 New Member

Hello Everyone - I am new here , i was doing a seach and i found your site ..

I am trying to find information on the following Rifle , it belongs to a friend of mine : Here is what is stamped on it as far as i can see :

Rifle stamings :

Patent Mannlicher

Plodi Anticorro

Oesterr. Waffenfabr. Ges. Styer

(Detachable scope reads)

Karl Kahles

Wein

Mignon 4X

Ges Gesh Drgm

There is a box of shells stamped - 6.5 X 54 MS

Serial Numbers match on the Receiver and Bolt

it is a five digit serial number 1XXXX

There are cleaning kit rods in the buttstock that look old ..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - what would the year of Manufacture be ?

2 - What would the Value be ?

Your help would be appreciated .. Eagle20

Click on url below to see rifle

http://home.hvc.rr.com/eagle20/styer.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Eagle.....welcome to TFF.

You have a Model 1903 Steyr-Mannlicher built for Greece in caliber 6.5x54mm. It was mostlikely made during the 1903-1915 timeframe.

It should look like the rifles at the bottom of this page: http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armagm.htm

According to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, the value is:

Exc. - $400
    V.G. - $275
    Good - $200

The scope would add to the value, but I don't know how much. If the scope was made around the same timeframe as the rifle, it may be worth more than the rifle is.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That Kahles scope IS worth more than the rifle, but I could not tell you by how much. A good new Kahles today would run about a grand.

Now, I disagree that this is a converted military rifle. I think this is a post war model of 1950, 1952 Carbine, 1956 or 1961 MCA Carbine. What we need is the barrel length to make sure. The flat spoon bolt handle is telling me this story along with the sights.

How long is the barrel? These guns in 90% or better condition are worth $800 + depending on model. That scope also tells me this was a high dollar gun to begin with.

Xracer, check out page 1018 of the 26th edition Blue Book under Mannlicher Schoenauer Sporting Rifles and let me know what you think! Thanks
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....didn't see the pic. I was just going by the written description.

I agree with Tex. Post-WWII Steyr built Mannlicher-Schoenaur.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I also need to know if this has a rotary magazine.
  6. eagle20

eagle20 New Member

Thank you for the Welcome :

Barrel lenght is - 22 inches

It does have the Rotary magazine

There is 2 rear sites - 1 is stationary the other is flipped down and is stamped 300 .

On the triggers - 1 sets the trigger pounds and the other fires the rifle.

If there is something else i should be looking for let me know .. I can take close up pics also ..

I appreciate all your help

Thanks
    Eagle20
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, here's how to measure the barrel. Close the bolt and drop a cleaning rod down the muzzle until it hits the bolt. Mark the rod and remove. Measure the rod from beginning to the mark. Then measure a loaded round you have and subtract that amount from the rod length. I am guessing either 20" or more to what I am seeing, 18.25". Let me know. There is no model listed with a 22" barrel, either 18.25, 20 or 24".

The only listing for a full length Mannlicher stock should have the 18.25" barrel. There were approximately 18 different models of this rifle during the years I listed above. The 1950 Carbine is the only one listed with a full stock and DST in that caliber, but 18.25" barrel. Let me know.

We love the detective work! :) :)
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Where is that Pistolenshootzer? I want him to see a REAL rifle, not some stupid MAUSER.

IF I had to put my money on the BEST Austro-Germanic rifle maker it would be Herr MANNLICHER, not P.T. Von Barnham Mauser. :cool:

That is one nice looking rifle, in a nice caliber too...would make a NEAT deer gun...

What is the 6.5 x54 like, about the power of a .243? How does it differ from the 6.5x55?
  9. eagle20

eagle20 New Member

Hi

I did the following : as you stated

Close the bolt and drop a cleaning rod down the muzzle until it hits the bolt. Mark the rod and remove. Measure the rod from beginning to the mark. - Measures - 22 1/2 inches

Then measure a loaded round you have and subtract that amount from the rod length. - The 6.5X54 round is - 3 inches long

22 1/2 inches - the 3 inches = 19 1/2 inches

What do you think ?? This is detective work :)

Eagle20
  10. polishshooter

Hey Tex, I thought the chamber COUNTED for barrel length?

It does for shotguns anyway....you measure to the bolt face...Hhhmmm...
  11. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

By the description I think that scope is pre-1945. The DRGM stands for Deutsches Reich and brain fart on the GM. Anyway no reich since 1945. Ges. Gesch. is just the abbreviation for trademark "Registered".
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

About a silly millimeter shorter! ;) :D :D :D :D It was originally a Greek WWI military round. According to my ammo books, with a 160 gr bullet, about 300 fps at the muzzle.

Hey Polish, on a pistol, do you measure to the back or the front of the cylinder?

All right, I'm going to call this a 1956 Carbine which calls for a 20" barrel and full stock with DST in 6.5x54,

Exc. $1,450
    VG $1,100
    Good $900
    Fair $700
    Poor $600

Manufactured 1956-1960. The scope may very well be pre-1945. I believe the scope to be worth equal or more than the rifle. If a war model then definately.
  13. eagle20

eagle20 New Member

Hi inplanotx

thank you For the information , It is greatly Appreciated ..

How would i figure out about the scope to know when it was made ?

The scope may very well be pre-1945. I believe the scope to be worth equal or more than the rifle. If a war model then definately.

Thanks
    Eagle20
  14. polishshooter

We were talking about shotguns and rifles, and Federal Law, right Inplano?

As far as I know, maybe I'm wrong, there ISN'T any Federal Law against barrel length on a revolver, or any other pistol. Heck, you can have NO "barrel" and still be legal on a revolver...so there really doesn't HAVE to be "standard" for measuring barrel length on a pistol...

But Federal Law says shotgun and rifle barrel length ARE measured from the closed and locked bolt face...from the INSIDE. 18" for shotguns, 16" for rifles...
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006