Subsonic Ammo

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Bubblehead, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Will subsonic ammo cycle a .22 semiauto pistol or rifle? Does anyone know how far a round will travel? The velocity of the subsonic rounds is the same as my Gamo air rifle (1000 fps) I live on 5 wooded acres and I was thinking of setting up a small range for the .22 subsonics but don't know how well they work or if that would be too dangerous because I have neighbors around me.
  2. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Not sure about pistols but SSS(Sub-Sonic Sniper, for whatever reason they call it that) will cycle as well as any in my Sears and Roebuck semi (not saying much). The bullets are pretty heavy compared with regular or high-velocity .22lr, so they are pretty good for short range smallish sized game.

As long as you set up a good backstop and practice good firearm safety there will be NO danger to your neighbours. As for whether or not they'll cycle in your firearms, post your specifics so some one more knowledgeable than me can tell you............. or go try it. :D:D
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Subsonics will cycle my Sig Mosquito about 70% of the time. That's not nearly good enough for me to bother with it. But the only way to know for sure is to buy a box and try your gun. I think they're $3.77 per 50 at Wal-mart, so it's no real loss if they don't. And any bolt gun is sure to eat them, so they're still not a waste.
  4. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Depends on the strength of the recoil spring in the gun. A brand new gun with a very strong recoil spring might have problems. My suggestion is to buy a small box of whatever you're thinking of using and try it.

Check the website for the manufacturer of the cartridges - they all have ballistics tables. They don't tell you what the range is, because they don't want to be sued for damages that occur when a bullet goes farther than their published specifications. But you can tell by the residual velocity, kinetic energy and point of impact deflection from the muzzle, to 25, 50, and 100 yards, how likely the bullet's going to fall to ground in the distance you're considering.

Be sure to check your local ordinances - there may be one governing the use of firearms on your own property; usually there's a distance requirement, so where I live, for example, you can't shoot a firearm on your own property unless you've got at least three hundred yards on all sides of you. Even that doesn't guarantee safety, of course, and "shooting at or into an occupied dwelling" is a crime in Virginia.

I'd also check with the neighbors, and make sure they're happy with your arrangements, where's your target, what kind of backstop have you got, etc., so you won't have any complaints to the cops, and no suits for private nuisance to deal with.
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The only subsonic .22 LR ammo I have found that will consistantly cycle my Ruger 10/22 is Remington. I have tried every brand of subsonic .22, and ALL of the other brands give me problems. The worst I have tried is Aguila. Aguila works great in a bolt action rifle, but their load is just not hot enough to cycle a semi-auto. If all you shoot is semi-auto, stick with Remington.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The Remington Subsonics cycle 100% in my Thompson Center R-55 Sporter, and about 90 to 95% in my 10/22T, the only complaint I have is their inconsistency, I'll get 4 rounds through the same hole at 25 yards, then one extreme flyer several inches low and to the right, this has happened many times with this ammo. You might try the CCI Subsonic as CCI's ammo tends to be more consistant.....

Biuld a good backstop out of 6X6's, and back it up with a mound of earth behind it. better even if you can score a good size piece of steel plate, practice safe gun handling, and the nieghborhood will remain as safe as it did before....
  7. squirrelnutzipper

squirrelnutzipper New Member

I have a new Mossberg Plinkster and the subsonic LR won't recycle it. However, I've found that the difference in noise level between the subsonic and regular velocity LR isn't nearly what I thought it would be, so why bother? The subsonics cost more than twice the regular and the small difference in sound isn't worth it. I live on 8 wooded acres. I've had a lengthy discussion with the local law enforcement authorities and it is perfectly legal for me to discharge any sort of firearm on my own property, providing of course that the projectile doesn't leave my own property boundaries. As for the neighbors, I extend the same courtesy as I would with any loud noise I'd want to make. I wouldn't be out at 6am doing target practice any more than I would be blasting my favorite AC/DC songs from my 500 watt stereo system at that hour. We can all get along by extending the same courtesy to others that we expect ourselves.
  8. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to what bluesea and Tony said. Remington subsonics cycle 98% in my 10/22. FYI although "subsonic" the Remingtons are not particularly quiet. Hardly like an airgun.
  9. Rem514

Rem514 New Member

I shoot Rem sub's quit a bit, work well from a 10/22 and my 597, but won't cycle at all in my friends savage. And like Steve said, the Remington subs aren't nearly as quiet as cb's, to me they sound exactly like standard velocity ammo, such as the aguila target ammo I shoot.
  10. BillP

BillP New Member

Sub sonic ammo lacks the crack you hear when a bullet passes you. It is caused by the bullet and not the propellant charge. As far as range noise is concerned it is a relatively unimportant problem. Far more important in keeping friendly relations with your neighbors is how your range is sheltered. Spruce trees are good. A berm with dense vegetation planted on it can work well. As was said above, when you shoot is important.

One thing I did that I am sure made a big difference is that I invited the neighbors over to see the range. A lot of the objections neighbors have is really a safety concern. Distant gunshots that would not ordinarily be bothersome are annoying if they make one wonder where the bullets are going. Neighbors who know how concerned you are about safety and the steps you have taken to assure safety will be much less concerned about the noise if they know it doesn't represent a potential danger to them.