1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Suck on this GLOCK

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/30/01 1:57:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Suck on this GLOCK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I always see Glock dudes touting, 25,000....40,000 rounds in gun magazines...they just keep on going, but a few parts need to be replaced, they wear out????

VICKERS .303 Watercooled MG, will always hold the record.

" This weapon stands alone as the only weapon to fire 5 MILLION rounds "continuosly" without a malfunction."

BITE ME GLOCKIES!!!!!
    "am not" R2

kdubaz
    (8/30/01 5:17:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Suck on this GLOCK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heh - Heh - Heh!

Like that, LTS - LOL!!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/30/01 7:50:58 pm)
    LTS that sounds like quite an accomplishment. It must have been watercooled. Here are a few facts I dug up
    In 1891!!! John and Matt Browning built a machine gun and it fired 1800 rds of 45-70 continuous fire. Quite an accomplishment for a pair that had never even seen another machine gun besides their own. This was done in the Colt factory for a group of Army officers.
    In May 1917 John Browning fired 40,000 rounds of .30 cal continuously. The test started with 20,000 and immedietly afterwords wanting to test the gun further he fired another 20,000. This new machine gun record had so many skeptics that a second weapon was used and beat the record by firing continuously for 48 min. and 12 sec. That is around 29,000 rounds (the gun fired at 600 per min.)

John Browning's first automatic pistol was shooting in 1895.
    From that date until present every single automatic pistol ever produced by Colt has been based on a John Browning design.

In 1897 John took his automatic pistol to Belgium to the brand new FN factory. They fired his pistol 500 rounds continuously. This was unheard of in those early days of auto pistol development.

In 1911 John Brownings .45 auto pistol that he invented in 1905 fired over 6,000 rounds. This was not continuous as all the guns in the test were given 5 min to cool after every 100. After 6,000 it was fed a variety of deformed and abnormal rounds, covered with dust and rusted by acid. This was the first Browning firearm to be adopted by all branches of the Armen Forces.
    The Bar was the 2nd in 1917

In 1902 one of the pilot models of the A-5 was fired 40,000 rounds

Even before john Browning .30 cal machine gun saw combat in WW1 Gen. Pershing ws calling for a larger caliberl After Army Ordance wasted a bunch of time trying to develope gun that would work the problem was brought to Browning. He was asked to make a .50 cal machine gun. John asked some questions about the cartridge and told the Army to make some up and they would go shooting. He had the gun built before the cartridges were made.

There are many,many other (firsts) done by JMB.

For you who are still unbelievers take a look at some of the dates this stuff was done. The man was a genious and way ahead of his time.

Now I guess you know my passion. I got this info from the book John M. Browning American Gunmaker.
    And my friend gets mad at me when I tell him he is nuts for bragging up Bill Ruger and others including Glock.

polishshooter
    (8/30/01 8:50:25 pm)
    A moment of silence for Brother John Moses, please...

Thank you.

He built a darn good pump shotgun in 1893 without any other to base it on, too...then went on to semi-autos, the basic design of any Remington Semi auto shotgun OR rifle to this day...

Yeah, LTS, that old Vickers Watercooled was pretty wild. I read long ago of some incredible stories of I think it was Gallipoli where they would sandbag in the tripods, with the guns at about 45* angle, and "spot" the rounds into the Turk trenches sometimes up to 4000 yds away, during the day and then lock it down tight.

Then at night, they would open up just to harass and interdict, guys just tying new belts to old while others pouring more water into the jacket as it evaporated.

I think it said they would fire tens of thousands of rounds from each gun without letup all night non-stop...they locked the trigger down or tied it somehow, and just let her putter away, and fed it to 'em. AND they might have 6 or more going at the same time.

Interestingly, the Vickers is a variant of the Maxim....and Hiram Maxim was ALSO an American that designed an MG from scratch in 1887...he just had to go abroad to sell it.

While John Browning was a latecomer to WWI, for most of it, Maxim guns or variants dueled it out on BOTH sides....Germans, Russians, Austrians, Finns, Turks, and I believe the Italians used Maxims, while the Brits and to a lesser extent the Frogs used Vickers....and I have a neat book of WWII photos showing some poor Russians pulling their wheeled 1910 Maxim through about 2 feet of snow, I guess the skis for the mount were only authorized for use when it was REALLY winter...

What really frosts my popsicle about those Glockies, or even worse, the Berettafiles, is that in the tests to find the 1911s replacement, they used tuned Berettas against off the rack .45s and in the FIRST test, the old .45s BEAT the Beretta in reliability tests!

They had to "rig" the second test, tricked out the Berettas even more, then disqualified the .45 because it had a couple of malfunctions in 40,000 rounds, the standard was arbitrarily set at like one less...

Since all .45 production for the Army ceased in 1945, they were using at MINIMUM 40 year old stock rattle-trap guns against NEW modified Berettas...and still had to "rig" the test to "prove" the 92 was better....
    Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/30/01 8:50:41 pm)
    What's a Glock, anyway? Is it some sort of disposable household device? A kitchen gadget maybe? Or could it be an overengineered assembly for one of those overly complicated german cars, you know, the ones that take a large bankroll and a team of physicists to repair! A Zippo lighter beats any "new" junk they're making now! A 40 Hudson is better than ANY CAR they're building these days. And JMB's designs are the absolute pinnacle of rugged efficiency! There is a point where increasing technology gives you a diminishing return in reliability and practical performance. If you can't face these facts then I'm just wasting my time trying to enlighten you any further. So, if you disagree with me, have a good day and go to H%LL !
    Your Buddy,
    MO JENKINS

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/30/01 9:12:32 pm)
    Polish and Mo your both good guys! Would someone explain to me just what in the heck is the purpose of the frail little plastic switch on the Glock trigger. I thought the safety was invented long ago. Someone should tell Glock.
    Amen to John Moses and his guns.

gpostal
    (8/30/01 10:01:21 pm)
    i think only a idiot would consider that thing a safety ,lets see you pull the trigger to fire the gun ,so lets put the safety on the trigger "DUH",you have to have a special holster for the damn thing any way ,i also don't like internal hammers on automatics ,accident waiting to happen, they do shoot very well i give them that credit

now polish i like my beretta ,but i agree i would have chosen a .45 over a 9mm ,but that is all ,i think they should have offered a .45 in a higher capacity if para-ordinance can do ,so can colt

kdubaz
    (8/30/01 10:34:12 pm)
    You guys are preaching to the choir, but I love it!!

If Winchester, Remington and Colt had even made an effort, JMB's designs would have stayed here, where they belong. Being from the old school, if it ain't metal, it ain't worth owning! We're heading into a 'disposable' minded society - guess that will go for guns, also! People have asked why my interest is so high in firearms - tell them I really enjoy taking an old timer apart to admire how everything meshes together and the genus it took to figure the system out!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (8/30/01 11:55:51 pm)
    Heard it on WLW this week, I'm surprised it hasn't made the National news and fired everybody up over trigger locks again...

Last week a 55 year old grandfather was babysitting his 2 year old grandson...he had a loaded Glock in the magazine stand next to his easy chair, he's watching TV, the 2 year old finds the Glock, bang, round goes through the back of the chair and kills gramps. Happened near Cleveland, OH.

Now WOULD that have happened with a safety? Maybe, maybe not, BUT it DAMN sure will happen faster with a Glock...

And Dan? We won't get into the hicap debate again, even if I DO think hicaps breed bad technique and are an answer to the wrong damn question...but, let me know when you get that 75 round AK drum to work in your M1A...you know, if more is better, then a mere 20 .308 isn't nearly enough, so then you just MUST prefer an M16 with 30 or 40, right?

Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)