1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Suggestion on Political Topics... Eliminate the Fire for Effect Forum...

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by ponycar17, May 7, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

"The Fire for Effect and Politically Incorrect Forum" is dead. No one checks it and good conversation goes ignored. Most folks bypass this by posting in the "Constitutional and RKBA Forum" regardless of how the topic of the post fits the forum's subject matter. I vote that the aforemetioned forum become the "Political and RKBA Forum," and eliminate the Fire for Effect forum that hardly anyone uses. What say you?... :confused:
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Personally...I never even check that forum.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Case in point, Tim... Since political posts have been subject to censure from the General Discussion forum to "The Fire for Effect Forum" I believe a lot of good conversation and posters have been lost. I see MUCH more activity in "The Constitutional and RKBA" forum. Perhaps that forum could absorb both 'political' functions? I'd be inclined to think that the consolidation makes a load of sense. :)
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Where will the posts go when the General Discussion Forum is removed ? It seems to have become a catch-all forum lately and afterall, we are a gun forum. This idea has been kicked around for a long time and due to recent gripes by a few members may soon come to pass.

The Politically Incorrect Forum does have a place at TFF along with the other 30 forums. You may want to get used to using it before the change.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I'm pretty sure the monitors could check and see the amount of daily postings on each forum, and could make a decision based on activity. It's kinda handy, though, right there above the 'Pump House'.

Has censure been going on?
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Shooter45, I've never used a forum that didn't have a General Discussion area. The function allows posters to stay interested in the site and keep good discussion going when folks don't care to post on the very specific technical topics available. I tend to go all over the place posting from political to technical to whatever. I think that a General Discussion forum with a more specific Political Sub-forum makes tons of sense. Having 3 forums that are used for essentially the same purpose is another situation entirely. I could see that situation bringing about more concern. For example, some of the same types of conversations get posted in all 3 forums. Posters choose which to post in based on visibility mainly.

Maybe the non-firearms forums could be grouped. The Fire for Effect Forum and RKBA forums could feasibly be sub-forums of the General Discussion Forum. That makes the most sense of all the options in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. My vote would be not to dissolve a General Discussion forum. Doing that would depersonalize the forum significantly.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment! :)
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Here's the thing about the politically incorrect forum; it seems to me that this should be the place for letting off steam and more or less ranting or making statements that truly are politically incorrect that some may find offensive.....read at your own peril. That's what the name implies. Kind of a free zone. But it would seem that is not the case. That forum is monitored too and anything doesn't go.

Political discussions of a general nature should not be relegated to this forum. What is politically incorrect about merely discussing a political topic in the news? I often post these items in the general forum as they aren't really politically incorrect.

Maybe the politically incorrect forum should be renamed the political forum. Then have a "fire for effect" forum where anything goes within legal guidelines.

I had the thought that possibly listing these forums higher up might help participation. I realize the FFE forum has it's place on the list due to all firearms related topics being listed first. This makes sense except for the fact that there seems to be a strong interest of members in political issues.

However the danger is that the whole tone of the site could be affected. After all this is first and foremost The Firearms Forum not THE Political Forum.
    So I believe that the active members that are really interested will search out these topics wherever they are listed. If there is little response maybe there really is little interest.

Of course this is just personal opinion and not something I feel strongly about. I believe TFF's administrators have done a great job maintaining the best forum that I have found on the net. I trust any changes made will be for the best.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I had the same thought ROMT. Generally speaking, firearms enthusiasts are very politically savvy and politically active. To separate the two discussions might lead us to a more uninformed and eventually 'firearm-less' society. :eek:
  9. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

The Politically incorrect forum has gone a bit dead since I started, but I like it, it is a known pot shot forum but the general discussion does drift close sometimes.
    I check them all, and had noticed lately it was getting sparse.
    Don't change anythng on my account, there's enough around changing elsewhere for me